I was wondering if this is posible, sens there is so many modified versions of WinXP that few guys even take with them in memory cards with them self where ever they need....then i had one idea that something like debian image was fixed and ported to our N9/N950/N900....to make CPU arm version winXP?? image with PowerQuest or similar backup app to bring to Meego as duo-boot or in meego with environment modulator...i know that everything is posible but how and who is going to make this posible...im sure meego will last for ever!

BTW. i was using my N97mini as WnXPsp3 extern-memory with USB cable, and it did work well, otherwise the symbian dosbox emulation with win95 was to sloow for anything.

Last edited by An9; 2012-11-09 at 16:35.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Why bother? Theoretically you could run it on an emulator but as you pointed out it's gonna be _really_ slow...
As for native port, no way ever. Where's the source, for starters?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
As windows XP reqiures the NT-4.x kernel which is MS's proprietary software then NO, it is not possible.

In fact, it is so impossible that even MS could not get NT to run on ARM without a significant amount of Code re-write. See WindowsRT/8.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
As windows XP reqiures the NT-4.x kernel which is MS's proprietary software then NO, it is not possible.

In fact, it is so impossible that even MS could not get NT to run on ARM without a significant amount of Code re-write. See WindowsRT/8.
Well if you ever had Symbian phone, they have arm procesor and developers boullt Win95 emulator...i guess that's the same procesor family, is it not...if not posible in meego OS, than i guess similare to nitdroid before the meego os takes the system environment over, sens the N9 is computer capable of and not just a phone...but the question is how to make run windows drivers on n9 device architecture, but nice to hear from you about this tema concern

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Devon, England
Originally Posted by An9 View Post
Well if you ever had Symbian phone, they have arm procesor and developers boullt Win95 emulator...i guess that's the same procesor family, is it not...if not posible in meego OS, than i guess similare to nitdroid before the meego os takes the system environment over, sens the N9 is computer capable of and not just a phone...but the question is how to make run windows drivers on n9 device architecture, but nice to hear from you about this tema concern
There are indeed ways of using x86 apps on ARM, but it's seriously not worth the hassle. Debian is an easier port because it supports ARM very well, and has a massive driver pool available.

WinXP has no drivers available for pretty much any of the N9's hardware, and where drivers are around they're usually proprietary and entirely closed-source. NT is nearly impossible to port to ARM anyway, as has been mentioned.

I'm not sure at all what they did with the Symbian/Windows devices, it seems like they had something similar to qemu running. Anyone with more knowledge can correct me on that one... Anyway, each port like that was designed for a specific phone, and no doubt the drivers took a lot of work - it's possible Microsoft provided some source for the purpose.

Therefore, while technically WinXP on, say, the N9, is possible, it'd be an incredibly hard port - and probably not that worth it, either.

The Following User Says Thank You to Eztran For This Useful Post:
Windows95 was still very much a DOS based OS and no doubt the emulator that you are referring to was a little program called DOSBox which we have and can run win95 on. You may also be surprised to hear that earlier versions of windows could actually run on a variety of architectures.

Now XP was microsoft's effort to remove any and all dependance from DOS and chose to build it for x86 only. Hence no ARM or powerPC versions were ported.

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2012-11-09 at 20:23.

It shoulld be built DosBox for Meego to...otherwise when emumaster is built to operate with few OS stricted game files, it shoulld be able runing small apps on small system environment.