Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
My apologies, your style of writing is confusing at times, I misunderstood what you were trying to say*, it doesn't hep that I've not had much sleep lately.

*it's still not terribly clear
I'm saying that for Neo900 price it's
a) not sufficient to know how many bare board, but you also need to know how many cases etc
b) even when you know how many camera modules, cases, batteries, GPS-antennae, GSM-antennae, AV-connectors, kbd-domesheets, flex-cables, battery-connectors, antenna-spring-connecotrs, stylii etc you will need, you usually can't find out about rebates you get when buying 500 or 1000, until you try.

That's why we can't even give good estimations for a batch of 200 yet. And getting all those quotations from sellers is weeks of work we simply can't afford right now, before fundraiser started. We did a cursory check for the most difficult to source parts, in qty of 1.

We probably can get abitrary number of refurbished N900 to slaughter, for ~150EUR, but this will require testing and full disassembly of every single one of them, which adds another 100..200EUR for labor (I'm intentionally using the Am ambiguous form here) on top. Obviously a feasible but not exactly economic alternative, and I bet you don't feel better now that you heard about it.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-10-24 at 08:28.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RichardN900 View Post
Having so much cellphones with Linux operative system (Android anyway) sliding keyboard and under US$ 200 with much more power than the N900 or even the propossed Neo900 hardware, i believe that spending much more than US$ 300 would be a waste of resources.
I still love my N900 but after fidling with some new phones and having found a more than suitable replacement for US$ 250 that allows me to do everything i did with my Nokia and some new stuff, along with a way better camera and 1080p stable video record...
Sorry guys but is time to move on.
Hi Richard, which phone is it? I haven't found anything with sliding keyboard and without google or apple nuisance.

The Following User Says Thank You to datensenke For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by datensenke View Post
Hi Richard, which phone is it? I haven't found anything with sliding keyboard and without google or apple nuisance.
Please don't derail this thread into a discussion about why android isn't true linux, and why it sucks, and why maemo can't get ported to new "cheap" hardware that is tivoized, not fully documented, or at very least not functional without lots of proprietary and closed source blobs that are not portable to maemo.
The OP contributed a rather irrelevant (for Neo900) statement (see reply in next post) - actually he stated something similar to "I found a motorbike for cheap money, that runs 200km/h and can do a lot of stunts, so all I need, time to move on from and forget about expensive and slow trucks" - and there's little use in further elaborating on that. This thread already has plenty of explanations on why we don't want leete new device with snapdragon or whatever incompatible hw (for now).
Keep in mind that neither N900 (originally) nor Neo900 are advertised as phones - rather the 770,N800,N810,N900 been advertised as NIT (wiki seems wrong here regarding N900) and the Neo900 is an embedded linux open MID device with voicecall and WWAN functions and is not competing with the current definition of the class of (closed) "smartphone" devices, the key product features and requirement specs differ quite a bit. Neo900 is about the maemo community, the proven maemo5 OS, the maemo5 pool of apps, and the maemo5 (and linux) knowledge base as found in wiki and in this forum.
Please don't perpetuate the futile discussion for another turn.
Thanks

/j

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-10-24 at 11:36.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
If I can help with any software dev or beta testing, where can I go?
I have an N900 and a device with DM3730 @1 GHz with u-boot, HWKB, touch screen @ 800*480 I can test on. (RAM is at 512MB, but no real diff.)

Point me in the right direction....
I would start by trying to run Maemo on your device (does it have a name?) and see where/how it fails

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
If I can help with any software dev or beta testing, where can I go?
I have an N900 and a device with DM3730 @1 GHz with u-boot, HWKB, touch screen @ 800*480 I can test on. (RAM is at 512MB, but no real diff.)

Point me in the right direction....
FPTF thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91308) and IRC(freenode.net)#maemo-ssu seem the places to go.

Many thanks for offering help, much appreciated and needed.
/j

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
For the people in the crowd who are getting impatient, could you put a blog or timeline onto Neo900.com so we can see date-stamped continuing progress on the Neo900 even if it is just a mention once or twice a week of reviewing a particular component or getting feedback from the fab. This thread is great but by being an open two way conduit suffers from an attenuated SNR.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
there is no such activity going on right ATM. We are busy setting up the needed bits for opening a donation page. See my post a few above.
Factoid that might interest you: we are not going to use any of the popular crowdfunding sites. The donation page will get announced on neo900.org and here, as soon as it opens. ETA right now: still next monday.
We just evaluate every single statement/value/number we will publish, so we won't disappoint you by not keeping our "promises" (e.g. we reduced "promised" RAM to 512MB since it's still unclear if we can get 1GB, though we will strive hard for 1GB nevertheless), and that takes some time, as does the evaluation of the legal implications (tax etc) and other related stuff. Setting up timelines is a further topic we're busy with.

So stay tuned. RSN!
/j

PS: btw we already have a newletter you can register for on neo900.org, and afaik also a RSS feed.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-10-25 at 09:46.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
PS: btw we already have a newletter you can register for on neo900.org, and afaik also a RSS feed.
Yep, and fundraiser will be announced in both of them (and also here, on page itself and possibly few other places too :P)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Device = Open Pandora // 1GHZ edition.

About the same cost as the Neo900 (if it comes).

I paid around $800USD.

Fully open and great device.

If someone can help with how to get Maemo to run, please help me out, I have tried previously...

Need some help with that...

Edit: Just used backup-menu; Made a dump/copy of my RootFs and Opt... I'm going to try a rough job or just dump and boot... Worst case, nothing - Best case... Kernel Panic!

Double Edit: In prep for the hardware - I just bought two more N900's.... eBay - 2 for $80! BARGAIN!

Last edited by kingoddball; 2013-10-25 at 05:07.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
In prep for the hardware - I just bought two more N900's.... eBay - 2 for $80! BARGAIN!
Great! So I guess some is left over to spend it on Monday for the Neo900 project Fine! The sooner we reach our first goal, the sooner we can start with the real work, and for you it's even a small bargain again to contribute early.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-10-25 at 16:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!