Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I think this thread has run it's useful purpose, it's been explained many times (& in great detail) why this is never going to be feasible. Even if it gains momentum again it'll always be several steps behind mainline Sailfish & Android ports, N9 owners who want Sailfish should now be directed towards those 2 options. Harmattan is still vibrant-ish, & that's where the emphasis for the N9 should remain. All those in favour of locking this thread please say "aye", or use the "report post".
I disagree, SFOS on N9 still remains highly usable and desirable.
There is no problem that the ported versions are behind the mainline Jolla revision.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I disagree, SFOS on N9 still remains highly usable and desirable.
There is no problem that the ported versions are behind the mainline Jolla revision.
I think it makes way more sense to set peoples expectations properly i.e...
If they want a decent/up-to-date Sailfish experience, they'll only get it on a Jolla device, or one of the main Android ports.
If they want a 2nd-rate, behind the times one, then sure, we can keep this thread open for that...
But be prepared to forever explain to folks why they can't have a Sailfish experience that's as good as the Jolla (or almost) & some Android ports.

Personally I think it makes way more sense to kill-off any interest of a port for the N9, & redirect efforts/interest back to Harmattan.
There's still a great little community there, & the N9 sings far better with Harmattan right now (& prolly always will) than it does with Sailfish.
If regular progress (even if it's only minor) resumes, then we can always unlock this thread, or if a new one already exists it can be merged.

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-09-05 at 06:41. Reason: further clarification

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I think it makes way more sense to set peoples expectations properly i.e...
If they want a decent/up-to-date Sailfish experience, they'll only get it on a Jolla device, or one of the main Android ports.
Exactly, and the Jolla device is superior especially for the extensibility that OH provides, something that the Android ports cannot match

If they want a 2nd-rate, behind the times one, then sure, we can keep this thread open for that...

But be prepared to forever explain to folks why they can't have a Sailfish experience that's as good as the Jolla (or almost) & some Android ports.
SFOS/N9 is an experimental platform, very good for tinkering and general hacking. It is not meant to be a substitute for Jolla device, never.
People should understand that, and treat it as the way it exists.

Personally I think it makes way more sense to kill-off any interest of a port for the N9, & redirect efforts/interest back to Harmattan.
There's still a great little community there, & the N9 sings far better with Harmattan right now (& prolly always will) than it does with Sailfish.
If regular progress (even if it's only minor) resumes, then we can always unlock this thread, or if a new one already exists it can be merged.
That's your opinion, and you are welcome to it. However Harmattan is unfortunately a dead platform and being mostly closed source on the important bits will unfortunately remain so. No amount of goodwill is going to change that.

Nemo/Mer on the other hand is progressing steadily and the benefits from there can be reaped on N9 device (and I am here treating also SFOS as part of Mer, it basically just being the UI layer over Mer...)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Exactly, and the Jolla device is superior especially for the extensibility that OH provides, something that the Android ports cannot match
That's true, it's also true that the N9 is even worse than some of those Android ports...

SFOS/N9 is an experimental platform, very good for tinkering and general hacking. It is not meant to be a substitute for Jolla device, never.
People should understand that, and treat it as the way it exists.
And we have more than enough of that in the form of Android ports, there seems to be far more interest/progress there. If we start to get more progress on the N9 (even just a tiny bit more) & it's consistent, then a thread makes sense.

That's your opinion, and you are welcome to it. However Harmattan is unfortunately a dead platform and being mostly closed source on the important bits will unfortunately remain so. No amount of goodwill is going to change that. Nemo/Mer on the other hand is progressing steadily and the benefits from there can be reaped on N9 device (and I am here treating also SFOS as part of Mer, it basically just being the UI layer over Mer...)
The point is though that it's not progressing steadily, it's been almost at a complete stand still for the N9. If we see signs that it's progressing regularly & at a modest pace (heck even a slow one), then ofc there should be an open/active thread. But in the absence of that, it doesn't make much sense to have one where ~90% of the posts are little more than: "Are we there yet?". It's very easy to reopen discussion if substantive & consistent progress resumes.

Anyway no big deal either way, just airing it 1st instead of doing it w.o. any consultation, so as to gauge what everyone (not just me/you) think.

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-09-05 at 09:44.

Phone calls work, sms works. Its getting better, google play store shows up, I am going to do more testing today. Would be great to keep this project rolling.

Originally Posted by mautz View Post
Hi, the camera doesn't work. The Wifi settings screen is only shown in landscape mode, but the virtual keyboard in normal mode. Sometimes the keyboard isn't shown at all, so you can't enter your wifi password.
I haven't tried phoning someone yet. What's the swipe bug? The store is very slow, i think the whole os is kind of slow and sometimes unresponsive. And don'turn on the "show fps" option in the developer settings, it wil mess up the screen and you have to reinstall again.

I'll check out the phone function tommorow.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to plourde For This Useful Post:
Reposting the latest n9 image found in case anyone wants to test or help out. http://www.maxicep.com/forum/konu/n9...urum-1.907550/

Originally Posted by mirjan79 View Post
Has anyone tested , is correct this ,
Dropbox - SailfishOS1.0.7.18N9.tar.bz2
http://www.maxicep.com/forum/konu/n9...urum-1.907550/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to plourde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
there are no android support for N9 and will never be. google play, lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
there are no android support for N9 and will never be. google play, lol.
Yes,I kind of wonder at that, too

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
not to be rude but man make man break, maybe not you but someone else may figure a way around, i could care less about android support if the system ran and breathed some live into the n9. Many devices have had there issues and were said it would never be rooted or jailbroken etc and theory prooved different, side loading android apps may be something that could occur further down the road

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plourde For This Useful Post:
I have been running SFOS on my Nexus 5 for about a week now. I can say that it is very usable. There really is only one huge issue and that is the camera is not working. Otherwise everything is working pretty well! I only have a couple of annoyances:

1. 4G/LTE data is not working (but voice is and 3G data works just fine)
2. BT connection issues
3. GPS is supposedly working but I have found no NAV/MAP solution for SFOS on a Nexus 5

The second one YMMV. I have issues with it staying connected to my handsfree system in my car (the connection will drop sporadically). The only time I have booted into Android is to either use MAPS or the Camera.

I kind of look at this forum as a place to discuss SFOS and not necessarily the Jolla Phone. Some of us don't have the ability to purchase the Jolla Phone due to market restrictions. This thread has been informative to me and maybe it can still be to someone else. What is the harm in leaving it unlocked?

Last edited by Demati; 2014-09-08 at 14:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Demati For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, nokia, sailfish