Notices

Posts: 200 | Thanked: 300 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Aranel View Post
Thanks for this awesome application, here's some feature requests to make it the best AIO Anti-Theft software ever:

* 1)Alarm Mode: afaik, as of current SMSCON release, It sends SMS to target number if IMSI code is changed while booting up. Problem is, what if your mobile is out of GSM covered area or SMS failed for some reason? Then you will not notice it's stolen until you find out yourself. I think Alarm Mode would be better option, I mean, if IMSI code is changed, instead of a single SMS sent to single target number, try to use all possible connection methods to deliver information to multiple targets and keep doing it until receiving valid SMS command to stop it.

* 2)Data Wiping: I understand that maybe developer of SMSCON (or any developer here) doesn't really want to introduce this function, because it could brick N900 easily if something goes wrong, but I think it's an essential function. Just make it an "option" with proper warning messages, and It would be beyond awesome if you make it customizable so we could wipe /home/user/MyDocs/somethingveryimportant and /home/user/.stupidplaintextpasswordfile instead of wiping/bricking the whole system.

* 3)Stealth: I guess It's not going to be easy, but as for current SMSCON release it shows up every incoming/outgoing SMS on Conversations, notifies the thief about it, shows up messages if you try to use reverse ssh and shows up the Call UI if you make your device call you. If Joe The Thief is not the dumbest person ever seen in the face of the earth, he will notice that you're trying to remote access your device and he will power it off, take SIM Card away or even throw away/destroy your device.

* 4)Advanced Tracking: It's not essential but making it possible to notify about Incoming/Outgoing calls (and their numbers) would help the owner A LOT about getting his device back. And maybe sending a copy of received/sent SMS messages to the owner could help too.

* 5)Remove it from Menu: I'm pretty sure that It wouldn't be hard to add an option to remove smscon and smscon-editor from menu, because we already have an X Terminal, It is possible to start GUI apps from that terminal and most of thieves are not Linux guru's and in fact mostly they don't even know what XTerm is, but they do know to push buttons, select SMSCON from the menu or google it to see what it is. So, I would prefer removing smscon related things from the menu and start it from XTerm, if you think that it's not user-friendly enough, make it an option.

* 6)Wi-Fi Autoconnect: afaik SMSCON supports 3G Internet but why not make use of Wi-Fi, since it's already a built-in feature of N900 and there's still some ppl out there using unsecured connections. This feature could be enabled by SMS or Alarm Mode (see: first idea) and It would try to connect to unsecured Wi-Fi access points to send valuable information to owner and allow reverse ssh, since It's using a Wi-Fi point, It means It has an IP address, so you can track that address too.

* 7)Server File Check: Prey already implements this feature and I think it's useful, why not make SMSCON check a file from my webserver often to see if it's 0 (OK) or 1 (Stolen) and if it's 1, send information to backup number or enable the Alarm Mode (see: first idea) You can implement this feature as an option, since 3G Internet is not that cheap in some countries.

Well.. It seems like It would take a year or two to implement all of this things, I just wanted to notify you about "SMSCON of my dreams" and maybe help you if you liked any of this ideas and if they're easy to do, maybe you can add some of them in future releases

Thanks for this great app,
Thanks for you input!

1) I will look in to this. I can try to make it so, that if sending fails, it will try a later time again.
2) I will implement a wipe function (it will run a batch script, if available, where users can put in directories they want to delete.
3) If somebody knows howto do this/has a solution, please mail me.
4) Thecnically it can be implemented, maybe I will.
5) As of v0.5-6 all user settings can be changed by SMSCON (crypted & uncrypted). The command is: smscon -set <name> "<value>", so strictly you don't need SMSCON-editor if you want to (to keep it pure a command-line application) and keep it more hidden.
6) I personnaly think WiFi is unreliable for this; connections easely can be lost (if your phone is moving or coverage is limited). For some 3G Internet maybe costly, but losing a phone will also be costly. If the cell reception is unavailable, well then it over.
7) This is a nice idea, I maybe will try to implement this in a future release.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digitalvoid For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
Would it be possible to add the ability to issue an arbitrary command with smscon?

That way we could use it for anything. I am interested in using it for SMS based push for email and IM (where my server would monitor specific email folders and sms me if there is something interesting, then smscon would issue the dbus command to send/recieve email, which would establish a data connection).
The purpose of SMSCON is to retrieve your phone when it's lost or stolen, so your idea would not fit in this profile.

Originally Posted by kiwirus View Post
Hi, a few notes. It is a good idea to check if is is Wifi connection already acitvie - then send email via that connection, if not then first try to activate wireless , if not succeed, then enable gprs and send it through it.
lock command always send reply even config deifne "no"
EnableDeviceLock(True) I've changed it to EnableDeviceLock()
Good idea to update it.
Also I've receiving 6 messages for any command, but from log I can see
DAEMON ERROR: failed to send SMS to "+6421......"
It is look like the sms got send but reporting some error. How to debug it?

+5 for Stealth mode should be ON. any way to remove received sms?
This will be solved in release 0.5-8. In some cases the amount of characters will exeed the 160 character limit of SMS messages (in previous versions there was no check for that) In 0.5-8 it will auto-split messages if more than 160 characters in message.

For debug look at:
Code:
/tmp/smscon.log

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Venezuela
ok guys, i'm gonna need some serious help, i feel like such a noob cause i can't seem to make this awesome app work.... i've downloaded both the app and the editor, i change the default number, and i don't know if it's because i don't live in USA or anything but the test doesn't work, it won't call back....:/ i even tried country prefixes like +58 for venezuela... also it's not mailing me anything even tho i put everything, i'm using hotmail so maybe i got the mail server or the port wrong? i don't know...is "smtp.live.com" right? and what is the SSH for? i know i won't be using it so i don't know what to put there.... i'm not sure if it's a version bug or i'm just dumb so any help would be apprecieted... also, even tho i click the 'update settings' icon its still red, is that normal? :/ thanks in advance

Re: Stealth some ideas
remove incoming sms from event db using sqlite3
sqlite3 /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el.db
not sure what sql to run.
Someone may know how to do it. Will spend some time later on to browse through forums...

The Following User Says Thank You to kiwirus For This Useful Post:
Very nice app!

But for me it is missing two things..

1. If possible under the maemo OS, SMSCON should be triggered (to send GPS coords and email a mugshot?) whenever someone attempts to unlock the device and fails (enters the wrong unlock code).
I have tried myself to monitor for this via D-BUS and it doesn't seem possible. Anyone know a way?

2. It would be very nice if there were a few commands to execute user-defined scripts - This would also save the headache involved in implementing the featue a few others requested - a command to wipe the device. Any user who wants such a thing can write their own script for it and point SMSCON to the correct file.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bowen For This Useful Post:
When I try to send a test sms from smscon I get this error:
Code:
[2|user@Nokia-N900|~]/opt/smscon-editor/smscon-editor 
sudo: smscon: command not found

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Poland
it's strange. I get a 3-5 replay messages.

I don't get any messages from my N900 when sending an SMS with an specific command but all tests are running fine.
Really don't know what the problem could be.

RE: Stealth

To find last sms message from event db we can use sqlite3:
sqlite3 /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el.db ( or el-v1.db )
then use command:
select * from Events where event_type_id=7 order by -end_time limit 1;

to delete it should be something like
delete from...
not sure about syntax.

it is a good program to browse through event db - glogarchive.

NOt sure how to disable display received sms in status bar