Active Topics

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Originally Posted by qgil View Post

Look at the combinations and you will see 2 extremes in terms of liability:

- Saucy company gets huge revenue publishing digital content for a price.

- Open source developer publishes software in his free time and all he gets is a Big Thank You.

I am willing to fight for the latter case if open source developers are indeed interested in publishing at Ovi. What I'm not doing is trying to convince you to do so. Either you are interested or not. There seems to be different opinions in the Brainstorm according to the votes, even if the discussion here seems to go more in one direction:

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...store-ovi-com/
I think publishing free software on Ovi is worth fighting for, I can't see any negatives only benefits. If you agree users will tend to use one thing for apps, then whilst community apps in extras is ok, you need them in Ovi to reach a wider audience. It is just how these apps get on Ovi in addition to Extras. Speaking of which, I've voted for some solutions, but made a mistake with 1vote, can I undo votes?

Rich

Last edited by richie; 2009-11-27 at 21:16.

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Can you be more specific? There are millions of Symbian users out there and you can find all kins of behaviors in them.
what im refering to is the average symbian users behavior of searching for apps. the ovi store in terms of symbian is extremily new. there really wasnt one place to go for apps. So symbian users pretty much have had to search multiple websites for what they've wanted

Originally Posted by richie View Post
I think publishing free software on Ovi is worth fighting for, I can't see any negatives only benefits. If you agree users will tend to use one thing for apps, then whilst community apps in extras is ok, you need them in Ovi to reach a wider audience. It is just how they get on Ovi in addition to Extras. Speaking of which, I've voted for some solutions, but made a mistake with 1vote, can I undo votes?

Rich
i just hope if or when other companies embrace maemo. we see the same push for their distribution systems.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
you need them in Ovi to reach a wider audience
Let me ask you a (rather painful) question the other way around - what's the need for end-user friendly Extras, then ?

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Let me ask you a (rather painful) question the other way around - what's the need for end-user friendly Extras, then ?
I don't personally have all the answers. My post was in recognition that if Nokia want to use Ovi, then like Quim said, I think most regular users will prefer the way Ovi presents apps versus the app manager or using apt-get.

My preference is open source apps (versus commercial apps) and if Nokia want to use Ovi for Maemo then there is a danger that if a solution to getting individual devs to put apps on Ovi is not found, that many users may not even see the great free community apps on Extras.

I see Ovi as giving greater visibility, not destroying the work of Extras. Maybe Ovi will simply link to Extras anyway, both continue to exist, one serving the other.

Rich

Last edited by richie; 2009-11-27 at 21:23. Reason: add last para

The Following User Says Thank You to richie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm left wondering how many of the sticky points we raise have already been discussed by stakeholders and decision-makers inside Nokia...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I don't personally have all the answers. My post was in recognition that if Nokia want to use Ovi, then like Quim said, I think most regular users will prefer the way Ovi presents apps versus the app manager or using apt-get. My preference is open source apps (versus commercial apps) and if Nokia want to use Ovi for Maemo then there is a danger that if a solution to getting individual devs to put apps on Ovi is not found, that many users may not even see the great free community apps on Extras. I see Ovi as giving greater visibility, not destroying the work of Extras. Maybe Ovi will simply link to Extras anyway, both continue to exist, one serving the other.

Rich
I can agree with that. Maybe an app developed by the community is showcased but not downloaded from. Instead directing you to extras. Now i agree this would be the best route and not to discourage people into assuming its all about nokia.

Tags
extras, opensource, oss, ovi