Notices

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Something like this? (Sorry, just a quick bash-up in Paint from a screenshot, with leftover artifacts etc.)

Name:  Languages.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  21.6 KB

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
huhahhhh...
Then I would prefer my first suggestion. Isn't that way too dark????

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I think it is. My question was aimed more at olf than at you.
To be honest, if I were to do this, I would prefer the flag at the back to be a Union Jack.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
To be honest, if I were to do this, I would prefer the flag at the back to be a Union Jack.
I will have a look into that, the next days.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I think it is. My question was aimed more at olf than at you.
Well, basically yes, but there are reasons why my suggestion was to use "three, equally sized, horizontal stripes; [...] e.g., white at the top, dark gray in the middle, light gray at the bottom" for the top flag.
Furthermore, from my PoV the bold black lines separating these three stripes are an unnecessary icon element and contribute even more to not "resembling a flag", which is already hard to achieve with a simple icon in in grayscale.

Using a specific flag (e.g the UK one) for the flag on top of the stack introduces new ways for misinterpreting this icon, IMO.

Last edited by olf; 2019-04-30 at 22:16.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
I was expecting to see flag icon variations when searching for languages in a prominent search engine. As a result, it was prominently presented with chat icons using "A" and some symbol from Eastern languages. In our case, where we have geography mixed with linguistics - flags could mean different things . Although, it something that user cannot choose => we can put flags for languages as well.

With the country (going to be downloaded, present or absent on device), we have Earth as a symbol. However, its actually a country out of it, not full planet. Not that it makes icons easier...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Sorry if mentioned already - I scanned, but don't have lots of time.. Having an issue on SF 3.0.3 where I'm not allowed to select a custom map storage. If I get to the 'select folder' screen, and go to settings, and select custom folder, (and click 'accept'), it still just stays stuck on that screen. I tried to trick it by clicking on 'create default', then going on to the rest of the setup, and then moving the contents of the default folder to a different folder, and selecting that folder in settings, but sure enough, maps are not identified, and when closing and reopening the app, it's back to being stuck on the 'select folder' screen, even though the custom folder is still selected, and the map files are there.
Anyone else? Thanks

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
I was expecting to see flag icon variations when searching for languages in a prominent search engine. As a result, it was prominently presented with chat icons using "A" and some symbol from Eastern languages. In our case, where we have geography mixed with linguistics - flags could mean different things . Although, it something that user cannot choose => we can put flags for languages as well.
Do you think of this symbol:
It usually explicitly addresses a dictionary search or translation lookup (of a specific word or phrase), but not a language selection. And it took me years to comprehend it (fortunately this was years ago).

Meanwhile I created a pretty shitty bitmap mockup, providing a rough impression of what I tried to express with words before:

Last edited by olf; 2019-04-30 at 19:30.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
As a general remark on the newly suggested icons, I think they would look better with rounded corners. Especially the folder icons look a bit too realistic to me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
As a general remark on the newly suggested icons, I think they would look better with rounded corners. Especially the folder icons look a bit too realistic to me.
AFAICS, the corners of all graphical elements in all of @fellfrosch's recent icon drafts are rounded, albeit with a quite small radius.
But imagining these icons in OSM Scout Server's configuration (i.e., at a much smaller resolution), I do agree that they likely look better with a larger corner radius, plus using thicker line widths for the folder element (AFAICS there are two widths to create the impression of perspective).

Last edited by olf; 2019-04-30 at 22:23.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:

Tags
geocoder, linux, offline maps, router, sailfish os, tiles