Posts: 136 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Streets of Avalon | Zwolle, the Netherlands
Haha, potato gun and then tl;dr

nice effort

The Following User Says Thank You to vincr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
hey endsormeans,
don't go too leete with mass production of the elk-mugen yet, you might not find the time for producing the prototypes (and all of the few hundred?) spacer frames for Neo900
[edit] btw a translucent keyboard frame would allow Neo900 to place several nicely useful indicator LEDs there, think capslock/Fn indicator, whatnot else

cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-06-21 at 12:27.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
woops awsome idea ! uber cool and useful

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Ach! Well I figurr little' misses the keen eagle-eyes of dos and joerg
They prob know this lil endeavour exists.
I imagine they got their hands full and all at the mo. with important transition business-stuff... or they might've already commented on what I'm doin' ... I know they are pretty busy...and am loathe to disturb or distract them...
so it's all cool.
Being busy and not being aware about something are two completely different things. In future, feel free to ping us, via mail, PM, IRC or wherever else. I just simply wasn't aware of this thread till today!

I'm not sure if I understood everything correctly in this topic with my far from perfect English skills... but I'm excited nevertheless All the photos here and in gallery on the website look really impressive. I want that harp!

Last edited by dos1; 2014-06-21 at 15:15.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
endsormeans
please see http://neo900.org/stuff/joerg/spacerframe/sketch.pdf

No changes needed to your sandwich for Neo900 btw. At least for now

cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-06-21 at 16:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
QUOTE=dos1;1430499]Being busy and not being aware about something are two completely different things. In future, feel free to ping us, via mail, PM, IRC or wherever else. I just simply wasn't aware of this thread till today!

I'm not sure if I understood everything correctly in this topic with my far from perfect English skills... but I'm excited nevertheless All the photos here and in gallery on the website look really impressive. I want that harp! [/QUOTE]

Well I really didn't want to disturb you guys..
I know you are busy...and when you have time...or if something changes design wise with the neo...I'm sure I'll be able to accomodate....
Your spacer is between the screen and body correct?
This part (N.C.S. part) is between back AND back cover...but I would imagine with enough time I could do whatever other part or parts to accommodate whatever the need.

Ok brief (or as brief as I'm able ) rundown

-spacer part (N.C.S. part ...short for N/Neo 900 Clubhouse Sandwich)
-working as well on (artistically) carved case for N/ Neo 900 which ergonomically will fit forearm (think Leela's wrist comp/ bracelet from Futurama ) and have ability to be used with mount screws like tripods...for example.
-think of said spacer....case...body ...physical parts ...enhancements to existing...designing NEW next gen bodies...is possible as well.
The videos on the mini site show the durability and strength of the original material (antler) which in it's natural form is 1/2 or even a 1/3 as strong as taking antler...turning it to powder...mixing it with synthetic resin...colouring to suit desire...clear, opaque, solid ...ANY COLOUR...and making desired parts ...bodies ...cases...whatever out of a super-duper resilient hybrid combination of the two.
As I show in the videos the demonstration of abuse is done to 3 pieces out of 7 I made and lost 18 years ago....found them 11 years ago ..partially and fully buried...surviving 7 years...7 winters of enviromental abuse....THEN I really put them through the wringer....at the bench in the videos and then with a car.
So...imagine what we could do....If desired...I could carve a durable Master copy that can take multiple mold processes...even very very very hot mold processes...for making cheap resin/ antler dust parts...cases...bodies...
I can if desired do embellishments...which can be cast the same way...
Or our existing plain plastic body parts can be mold and cast into hybrid resin / antler dust parts...in any shade...any colour...any opacity or translucency desired. VERY CHEAP...it is a very inexpensive process with very inexpensive material and labour and shop costs with a very high... very rapid turn out
I was casting STRAIGHT from antler into silver....very hot...when I was a child...I was doing resin works from antler by my 20's...now I like to just make the original stuff ....let others do the actual production from the original.

Sky is the limit boys.
Imagination is the limit.
The cost is minimal...a fraction compared to other methods
The only limit that can be dictated... is the amount of interest by community.
Hit me with an idea...a schematic...if it has physic dimension it is probably doable as a Master in antler. From there...well...the door is wide open.

Like the harp dos ?

I make true celtic harps...wire strung...(largest I make) that size has almost a full piano range shy of an octave...it stands 2' 8" weighs in at 28 lbs and is made of real fine good hard maple....tri laminate pillar and neck ...mortise and tenoned ...sept -tupple laminated sound board and back...on the neck..the machined tuning pins are 1/4" tapering to 3/16" ..the holes through the neck are exact to allow said taper..you tune by using the tuning key and tighting or loosening the string AND pushing or pulling the pin in or out...wood expands or contracts thus...snugging the pin firmly...better than gears and delicate machinery ...if the pin gets too loose from wear and tear....detune the string ...pull the pin out...grab a whittling stick and a pocket knife...whittle a while until you have the perfect shim...the perfect sized wedge of scrap wood..put the pin and the shim. with a bit of wood glue on the outside of the shim where it will contact the inside of the pin hole...tork it in...let it dry...string it back up tune it.....away you go...no necessity to take it for expensive repairs
servicing the strings occurs through the back of the soundbox...detune the string in question from the peg on the neck...access the string and remove replace strings from the back...the back is brass hinged...brass hasped and has a cute little tiny brass lock
The inside is the cavity for resonating sound...servicing strings is simplicity....and the soundbox is big enough for a lunch for 2, a bottle of wine and a couple glasses...or if travelling...sheet music, your n900/ neo900 and all your chargers...extra food...flask of what's important ...extra clothes and socks...a travelling companions best friend this type of harp. Toss it on your back got everything in it like a backpack...and away you go into the world with your music with you
When I was young...it packed with my tools and away I went...I can't recall anyone ever turning away a harpist ...a meal...a bed... a song...everyone thought (including myself ) it a godsend to have it show up at their door or their farmhouse. Good times.
Sounds WICKED with a pickup plugged into a laptop run through say any good old rendering prog. ..or....like say...milky for n8x0
or say sunvox on the n900....
.eh...whatever...make it sound like ANYTHING you want...then pump it out an amp...BWEOWOWOWOWOW! Makes hendrix sound like fumble-fingers Used to have a group when I was young and crazy and all the time in the world....now I'm just older and crazy with all the time in the world

That harp...in particular...it's one of a few I have kickin around still.
THAT harp...didn't take long to make...9 months...made it 28 years ago...it has yet to mature..."to belly" on the soundboard...it'll be 8-9 hundred years before it comes near it's prime.
THAT harp...the carving...the knotwork ivy on the sides is an exact mirror image of itself on the other side...the particular style is ....odd....it is old...predating christ by 5000 years...not alot was done in the style...it took a couple years of planning and design...alone...and that in spare time...then in that hard maple....it took 10 years and countless numbers of tools destruction to accomplish it....for ever animal...2 carving tools died.
This is the result.
Better still than this harp is my own....with mad antler inlay embellishment
Mine is slightly smaller...1 octave again less...(no choice considering material)
See...there are a set number of woods considered specifically sacred for creating a true harp ...and those wood types dictate the soul of the instrument...what direct and subliminal impact and influence on the listener can be achieved...what the instrument will really sound like as well....and most importantly ...how it will steer the player...psychologically, intellectually, and spiritually....(I may speak on the mathematics of persuasion and influence concerning instrumentation and sound ...in a vid on the mini site.)
My harp...well....originally a very old very tiny violin maker friend of mine gave me a pristine 70 lb block of wood...he had been curing it for about 20 years...didn't have a purpose for it...and gave it to me....(he has sadly he is dead...I miss him like I miss so many others...I would have liked to show what I made with it)...anyway I carried the thing around everywhere with me ...One of the few things I couldn't let go of....20 years after he gave it to me...a very young man...I finally got the nerve to saw it up ...every piece I utilized...even the dust...I still have pieces from it to work....THAT was hairy work I'll tell you...40 year old seasoned wood...pristine...unmarred....made the most sublime harp I have ever made (and I have some pretty cool stories there about resulting harps I'll tell ya ....like the ghost harp I made...the thing PLAYED back to you! It freakin Accompanied your playing...it had a natural echo that subtly altered when playing back to you....one of the most beautiful...weirdest harps EVER...)....anyway. back to topic.....my harp...my own...is an Apple harp ... "Querterion" ...seeker...hunter of questions.....qwerty - the question.. Quert - the old old name for Apple...for very good reason. The tree of questions and answers, the tree of wisdom...true knowledge, the tree of love, by some the tree forbidden, but most of all the tree of healing...real healing of the mind and heart...of the soul...and the tree of the only refuge...the tree of peace, it is the only haven I have ever found in all my hunting through the vastness of esoterica and exoterica ...with the answers I hunted most of my life for...and her sound...it is ..beautiful...the only word to fill the feeling...hmm from the proportions of her structure to the content of the embellishment on her...I worked what I have come to understand...the truest sciences ...sacred geometry, creating things based on true measurement...infinite measurement that can help weather time....harps are meant to be built thus in fact...there is an incredible amount around us... to wonder at..hm.. the music of the spheres...the underlying nature of...nature ...ha ...hmm ...so very much indeed......o my yes...she goes with me everywhere. for multitudinous reasons...which I may chat on another time....

I'm glad you like that maple harp there...she is nice...sounds beautiful...the carving style is odd...old......few harps I name ...this one took so long and the intent so specific...it got one considering the content ...she doesn't have an owner yet...no huge push to find the person for her either...however long it takes.

So ya dos thanks ....I am humbled and appreciate that approval of yours.

ok back to bench time.

2pm: summer work-beer time!
and it is warm enough! woo-hoo!
Got 1 in mah hand ..back to the bench.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2014-06-21 at 21:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Fantastic!

Yes, our spacer part is supposed to go between the screen and body.

By the way, FYI - GDC resumed some efforts to get "case kit" for GTA04: http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail...ne/005717.html
Maybe a next target for you?

The Following User Says Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
Fantastic!

Yes, our spacer part is supposed to go between the screen and body.

By the way, FYI - GDC resumed some efforts to get "case kit" for GTA04: http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail...ne/005717.html
Maybe a next target for you?
Spacer 'tween screen and body? ...good.

Hmmm ..GTA04 body?....easier than the n900 body.
Yup. It can be done.
Alot more room for embellishment too.
Hmmm....ya...as example the n900... I have one... so I was able to roll over the n900 in my hands see it in my head ....then work and shave away and carve away that part in less than 2 days...then the finicky work really began.
With everything I do...a 1st hand model is easiest and quickest for me ...I'm tactile rather than schematic when it comes directly to carving....especially fitting things together ....regardless of how much a jigsaw nightmare it is.
If I have an example of whatever... to work with ...and enough antler material...whatever can be made with any other material..I can make..... whatever is desired...
Then make a mold from it ...casts...away you go..
.Always best... is the fewest parts (esp moving ones)...the simplest design...tends to last the longest.
Hmmm I remember seeing a youtube vid of a gta04 (?) I think in a wood body...clever...simple...good idea for a soul who has some skill....and enough drive. Whatever works in a pinch.

Yup make a master...which then could be taken and cast into resins or plastic...or whatever...
I love a good project.
Ya ...I could do it...
I could make a model case for the gta04...
1000x easier than the N.C.S. part for sure.
I would need a junker tho' ..
doesn't matter if it works or not..
.just gotta have all the physic. that is to be expected...
.I could make a plain master model case right quick..
.hmm...could carve the SHR symbol / pattern on the case.....
ooooooh ....could do alot of cool things.

Hmm...ok got the Gorillaz cranked (what ?!...figure I ONLY listen to classical? heehee...)....got the essential work-beer....goin back to the bench..stuff to think about.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Last edited by endsormeans; 2014-06-22 at 00:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Damn, I can't figure out whether the OP needs a medal or a renewed prescription of lithium.........

Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Damn, I can't figure out whether the OP needs a medal or a renewed prescription of lithium.........
Back for more work-beer...hmmm

A medal made of Lithium perhaps?

This is fine and all...given an opportunity and no need to make the triple decker....means after completion...I will then be able to make exacting measurements for ports to be cut (possibly) on the Master...or simply leave it clean for that kinda stuff to be decided by the individual (prob best.)....or I could carve geometric pattern along the entirety of the sides with and work designated blank spacing between said pattern (key pattern knotwork ....love the pattern) to give the whole piece ....when put together the look of designed purpose for every (uncut blank) port. That would run me a bit longer...possibly a week...maybe longer.

Hmm.....the most critical thing for the community in my most humble estimation is to use every available method of finding a resin working guru who knows his stuff...that is critical. Absolutely.
This part and so much more that could be done for and by this community could be done very affordably...
when I say that I mean...say your device takes a severe impact...the resin should absorb the impact...your device at worst comes apart and the resin piece is damaged or destroyed having absorbed said impact...and cheap enough to shrug your shoulders and order another.

make the piece out of antler dust/ resin...the piece will still absorb the impact but will most likely survive...where your existing case may not.
Replace EVERYTHING with antler dust/ resin body....well...watch those stress tests again on those 18 yr old pieces that weathered 7 years buried outside through winters and then were brutally tested by me...amplify the resiliency a few times and THAT is the result....no more fear for your device. WHATEVER device it is....bodies for the n770 up to the n9 could be made...cheap.
A better Jolla body...whatever......cases ...enhancing attachments....Incredibly resilient...incredibly strong...incredibly lovely to look at...and ...last a long time.
Long time? what is that to me?
longer than 10 000 year radioactive half life...longer than diapers in the landfill....longer than both combined.....if you want an ethical and moral alternative...this is it.
I have done countless pieces ...literally ...in my lifetime thus far.
My work is on every continent...from small to elaborate...if only 1/10 of my work survives the ravages of time...it is still 1000's of pieces.
My name means nothing in the face of time...it will be forgotten ...long before my works start falling apart..
What means something... is leaving as much loveliness behind ....flooding the world with it. Virtually indestructible. Lasting 10's of thousands of years....that is what I intend to leave behind me...everyone here now has the opportunity to do the same.

Anyway back to topic...
...just imagine what I could make as a Master for mold work.
If it is physically ....structurally possible for it to exist...even very thin...very delicate....Then it is possible for me to make it.
I enjoy a challenge....
I enjoy making something different and new...
But I REALLY like to embellish the different and new.
I will make cases and stuff...but mainly so I can do some wicked carved motif on it...that is why I really like to do this stuff .
No matter how perfect....a plain case....a plain body...is just a plain box....boring. I'd lose interest rapidly if I couldn't carve pattern or animals or people all over it...or in scenes...

hmm...forget the medal...just pass the Lithium please.

Owner of :

Lost invested funds.

Last edited by endsormeans; 2014-06-23 at 00:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:

Tags
concise posts, verbose posts