Notices

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
http://wiki.maemo.org/Swap_on_microS...tition_as_swap
Thanks a lot! Would be a nice addition to the Wiki. I tried to add the link but it looks like the change was rejected because I was not logged in (I registered a while ago but I never managed to log in).

The Following User Says Thank You to daniel_m For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by daniel_m View Post
Would be a nice addition to the Wiki. I tried to add the link...
Done...
http://wiki.maemo.org/Ereswap

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Costa RIca
Originally Posted by hxka View Post
I don't get it. What's the point? It's damn flash memory, it's always equally slow, both with sequental access and fragmented.

And few criticism:
You should not package something in /home/ directory. This is directory for user home directories and their files, not for binaries, programs, and program's data. No package should contain any files in /home. For binaries there are /usr/bin and /usr/sbin. For program's data there is /usr/share, for system-wide configs there is /etc, etc.
And why patch rcS-late? This is too risky. Why don't use upstart scripts?
Nope, Maemo is an optified Linux system, you should use something like /opt/usr/bin, /opt/bin, /opt/your_app, etc... and having a .your_app on the home dir to keep app configs is also better tan throwing everything into /etc.

Greets.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ejcrashed For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ejcrashed View Post
Nope, Maemo is an optified Linux system, you should use something like /opt/usr/bin, /opt/bin, /opt/your_app, etc... and having a .your_app on the home dir to keep app configs is also better tan throwing everything into /etc.

Greets.
There is no such term “optified Linux system”. There is a term “Nokia's engineers”.
I didn't say what to do, I told the basics of filesystem hierarchy.
And the one of the basics is that package management system should not touch users home directories.
Of course on maemo there is /opt, in which you have to put large files to not to wipe free space on rootfs (and make symlinks in proper places). But this package contain only few little scripts which won't affect free space on rootfs at all.
As for $HOME/.blahblah, these directories are for user-specific configuration files. Again, /etc is for system-wide configuration files.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hxka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by hxka View Post
There is no such term “optified Linux system”. There is a term “Nokia's engineers”.
I didn't say what to do, I told the basics of filesystem hierarchy.
And the one of the basics is that package management system should not touch users home directories.
Of course on maemo there is /opt, in which you have to put large files to not to wipe free space on rootfs (and make symlinks in proper places). But this package contain only few little scripts which won't affect free space on rootfs at all.
As for $HOME/.blahblah, these directories are for user-specific configuration files. Again, /etc is for system-wide configuration files.
+1, although I'd say for now it's fine (it's extras-devel we're talking about).

On the fragmentation topic. Even if Flash acts like RAM, where the access time is essentially constant, you can still be affected by fragmentation, in the same way as with RAM.

Imagine you need to allocate a chunk of 100MB (in Flash or in RAM, doesn't matter), and the biggest chunk you have available is only 16MB, the next is 12MB, the next is maybe 8MB, etc.

You'd need to either chain-allocate your chunk (if your program, or the Linux kernel in this case, supports such "complex" memory management), or compact the memory (i.e. defrag) so that all free blocks get together, so that memory (swap) allocation will become fast(er) again.

The latter is what Estel's script essentially does, at least implicitly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
^+

also, there *is* such thing as Optified Linux System - it's not invention of Nokia's engineers. Things like Optware existed looong time before anyone ever dreamed about device like N900.

[off-topic - in my own thread, lol]
By the way, optification isn't worse, that can happen. Recently, I've set-up OpenWRT in my WRT54GL router AP. WRT54G* family have 4MB flash storage (except for some devices from first series, utilizing 8MB), which, after having basic stack installed, leaves You with whopping ~1 MB of free space. To overcome this, I did SD card mod, with random card I got in my drawer (2GB) one - the thing remained, how to actually make things installed there work properly (including kernel modules, libraries, etc).

After reading lotta hell about extroot, block-ext, pivot-root and pivot-overlay - being regular ways of doing this in OpenWRT - I decided to screw that, and... Create /opt partition, where my SD card is mounted. I've also crafted small script, that, after installing any package to --dest /opt parses opkg files<package> (opkg'ish equivalent of dpkg -L <package>), and creates symlinks in original root filesystem pointing to /opt.

And You know what? It works flawlessly, being *much* less PITA, (and performance efficient) than any alternative proposed solution.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Well, I didn't mention that Nokia's engineers invented /opt. I am just angry at them because of their decision to put everything in /opt. Maemo isn't “from scratch” distribution, it was derived from Debian. And throwing away compatibility with it is not the best choice. There is maemo-optify, of course. But sometimes it conflicts with docpurge (nice invention too): it tries to optify some files that are already purged by docpurge, producing error.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hxka For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
also, there *is* such thing as Optified Linux System - it's not invention of Nokia's engineers. Things like Optware existed looong time before anyone ever dreamed about device like N900.
True, but /opt is really meant for third-party packages. The Fremantle "let's move random stuff to another partition and place symlinks in the original locations" approach isn't quite what the LSB had in mind.

[off-topic - in my own thread, lol]
By the way, optification isn't worse, that can happen. Recently, I've set-up OpenWRT in my WRT54GL router AP. WRT54G* family have 4MB flash storage (except for some devices from first series, utilizing 8MB), which, after having basic stack installed, leaves You with whopping ~1 MB of free space.
Those also come with just 16MB of RAM which can easily lead to OOM conditions if you run anything above what's on the base image or even if your conntrack tables get too long, but compcache works wonders there too (contrived effort to converge back on topic ;-) )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
don't know what happened but every time I use ereswap or freswap it says
Nokia-N900:~# ereswap
iostat: applet not found
Not needed, we have 768 MB left.

Never had this statement before and allways worked fine
Any idea what should I do?

The Following User Says Thank You to guilledoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by guilledoc View Post
don't know what happened but every time I use ereswap or freswap it says
Nokia-N900:~# ereswap
iostat: applet not found
Not needed, we have 768 MB left.

Never had this statement before and allways worked fine
Any idea what should I do?
Reinstall busybox-power (remove it in HAM/FAM and install again or use apt-get if you feel brave enough ), last update of CSSU overwrote it. After that, all should be fine again

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:

Tags
ereswap, fragmentation, microsd, swappiness, swaps