Active Topics

Do Norway and Swiss customers pay VAT when buying from EU site?

The Following User Says Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Hey I have an unlocked Xperia X I got off ebay arriving today. My plan was to flash it on the 11th using my work laptop. (My only readily available Windows PC).

Does anyone know if it's safe to go ahead and flash one of the unofficial builds in the meantime? Or will that screw up the emma/windows flashing I plan on doing next week?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trashHeap For This Useful Post:
You would probably be better returning XperiaX to stock firmware and starting again, but not a real hardship.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on Jul 2016 @ Paraguay
After I saw this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iSAYeoKNJsI, I realised that when you use the Emma flash tool from Sony, it appear that is flashed with a image that correspond for it market... So... As I have a US Xperia X, do you think if I buy the image (someone from Europe will buy for me), it will detect if my device is not from Europe and won't let me install it? Hope not

Enviado desde mi F5121 mediante Tapatalk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meloferz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 843 times | Joined on Jul 2015 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by jenix View Post
Jolla simply is not allowed by Sony and its licenses to officially support this method.
Not even that, they are allowed to ship an emma-less way, they're even writing that they're officially looking into it:

Originally Posted by Jolla
We are looking into the possibility of installing the software also using other platforms, but can’t promise this yet
My theory is that the emma-less way is just not easy enough for people to apply right now for an official release. In it's current state (judging by the HADK-Linux instructions) it involves booting the device into recovery mode and telneting into it to copy the blobs to the oem-partition. For that solution to be official they'll have to automate that process which is not trivial because they'll either have to script telneting into the xperia-x or create an custom recovery image which automatically prepares the partition, then reboots again into fastboot-mode so that they can flash the normal recovery again.

Doing the emma-less way unofficially shouldn't be a problem at all for most of the people here who have a problem with using windows though

Last edited by jakibaki; 2017-10-04 at 13:46.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 292 | Thanked: 294 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Milan, Italy
I just received an invitation to use part of my remaining tablet funds to redeem a Sailfish X voucher. I imagine all of the tablet backers will be receiving one of these soon.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Watchmaker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by Watchmaker View Post
I just received an invitation to use part of my remaining tablet funds to redeem a Sailfish X voucher. I imagine all of the tablet backers will be receiving one of these soon.
Same here. Resulting confirmation leads to Bermuda :-)

Code:
502 Bad Gateway
nginx
But i got a confirmation by email, seems to be okay.

Last edited by BluesLee; 2017-10-04 at 14:08.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
I just got the refund voucher too. Wasn't there talk of there being a discount for Jolla C backers?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
Do Norway and Swiss customers pay VAT when buying from EU site?
Not here in Switzerland. Of course, you have to pay the local VAT (which with 8% is much lower than in most EU countries) when "importing" goods, but 50€ is within the tax-free amount. So basically, we pay more than people from the EU. (Alternative POV: Jolla gets more money from our purchases ).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jenix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
I just got the refund voucher too. Wasn't there talk of there being a discount for Jolla C backers?
Don't think that Jolla can currently get head around being both Jolla C community device and Tablet backer at the same time until possibly 11th October release.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x