very good case!!! does anyone have ideas on where to get a hip case that fits it though? I've searched high and low but no luck.

When I first got my N900 I bought a cheap 10$ case on eBay. It felt flimsy, did not latch on firmly and rattled around. It was clear from the start it would not last long.

I gave it away and got the Otterbox instead. I've had it for more than a year and it still looks brand new. I love the way it improves the grip. It fits snugly around the body and feels very protective while giving easy access to all ports & plugs.

The added bulk you forget about after a few days. Now I wouldn't want to be without it.

PS: check out the huge "cases for N900" thread from a year ago. Plenty of Otterbox recommendations in that one too.

I use the OtterBox and agree with others that it does increase the size quite a bit. For the most part this has no effect except if you have large fingertips where your fingers may have a tough time pressing the Sym/Ctrl through Backarrow keys (top row). you may find (as I sometimes do) that you hit both a top row key and a second row key accidentally. My only other complaint is that the top cover has a ridged design which irritates your face durring long calls when not using a headset.
That said I would not use any of the other choices found on Amaz.on(dot)com. OtterBox makes very protective products and the Commuter will protect your N900 well (that's why I continue to use it).

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Texas
I've been using my otterbox for three months. It does add bulk to the phone but I think the otterbox gives the N900 great protection with all the silicone buttons and plugs. I agree that the face plate is not comfortable to a person's ear and should be redesigned. I have a case for my phone so the bulk is not an issue and you get used to the bulk. Overall, I would recommend the otterbox. Great product!

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ New Zealand
I have had a custom made leather case and also the official Nokia CP-408 case. The 408 case is excellent and protects the phone well but it does make it more bulky and also flipping it open all the time is annoying. It does offer great screen protection though. I then went for the otterbox. I can promise you I will never go with a flip case again and will always go with otterbox. The fit is so good you can't even tell it is not the actual phone. It makes it slip in and out of your pocket easily and really honestly does not add much bulk compared to the CP-408. It is just the way it fits, it feels more compact. The fit is very sturdy. I foind the bezel no problem at all on my ear. It does offer good protection to the screen if you put the phone on the desk upside down. The slide lock is a little harder to get at but no big deal. As far as keyboard access goes, I noticed no difference.

Sure if you drop it on a rock on the screen there is only the screen protector to save it (I use clear protector or martin fields as the packaged screen protector is crap) but in terms of protection the otterbox is sensational. I am super super careful with my phone but did drop it once from waist height onto concrete. It landed on its corner. It bounced and made a little oomphh sound as the otterbox obsorbed the impact. The result was a perfectly protected phone and not even a scratch on the otterbox. Advice from someone who researched cases to death and tried them all, grab an otterbox, you will not regret it.

Last edited by Asterixnz; 2011-03-18 at 02:46.

my otterbox cracked(the half that goes onto the display) after 3months of use it may be bad luck in my part, the day the thing crack, it was in my jean pocket all by itself. ymmv

cheers,

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Saint Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
... which irritates your face durring long calls ...
Wait. You use your N900 to make phone calls?

The Following User Says Thank You to zvogt For This Useful Post: