Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
http://hellotxt.com/l/mGoUo9

#n900 #maemo RT @mickyfin: On the battery thing, Maemo is highly intelligent - for instance, note the dynamic frequency scaling and smart use of virtual RAM. Despite its muscle, the N900’s battery life is comparable to other high-end devices, both in terms of talk time, and when the user operates the device in ‘always online’ mode...I'm using it for day pretty happily
twitter/alextootchie

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
No, I'm not saying it. Not many sales devices in this category would resist this intensive use in one go. About the N900 you will find yourselves after opening the sales box. In any case you know that Nokia has high standards in power management.

By the way, if you really want to go down to the technical stuff in power management for Maemo 5 you can have a look at the session Peter De Schrijver made at FOSDEM earlier this year

http://free-electrons.com/blog/fosdem-2009-videos/

In the Summit you can meet Igor Stoppa in person. He will be glad talking to you about power management and other core stuff.
Sweet, that sounds great!

Nathan.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Of course OMAP3 power management appreciations of a core platform developer are not relevamnt to end users. Several people in this thread asked about this and I just pointed them to Peter and Igor, two of the guys knowing better about this specific topic.

Pre-ordering an unreleased product online requires a lot of trust from one of more brands: Nokia, Internet, Visa, Amazon, etc. Some users trust and go ahead, others will wait, see reviews of the final product, get to a shop to give it a try, ask a couple of extras questions to the clerks... All of them are right as long as they do what they feel like.

In this case let me remind you again that Nokia has a big investment in its brand and power management is actually one of their best assets.

As a Nokia customer myself I expect them to keep the standards. I'm a happy Maemo 5 / N900 user already today. If you are reading this forum I suspect you would be happy as well. Now you can trust me or not.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
12-13 hours reported at finnish forum.

http://www.matkapuhelinfoorumi.fi/ke...&postcount=985

my rough translation:
battery lasts 12-13 hours normal usage that is: wlan on constantly, surfing, videos and somewhat gps. no need to load during day

"Akku kestää nyt 12-13 tuntia normikäytössä eli wlan päällä koko ajan ja selailua sekä videoita ja jonkinverran gps:ää. Eli nyt ei tarvitse enää päivällä ladata."

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post

my rough translation:
battery lasts 12-13 hours normal usage that is: wlan on constantly, surfing, videos and somewhat gps. no need to load during day

"Akku kestää nyt 12-13 tuntia normikäytössä eli wlan päällä koko ajan ja selailua sekä videoita ja jonkinverran gps:ää. Eli nyt ei tarvitse enää päivällä ladata."
sweet! sounds like we've got a winner on our hands

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post

my rough translation:

here is the google translate

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
That seems perfectly fine for wlan all time use. My g1 hemorrhages power when wlan on
You need to check if your WiFi router properly supports power management. I hardly notice any difference on battery impact on my G1 with WiFi on.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
You need to check if your WiFi router properly supports power management. I hardly notice any difference on battery impact on my G1 with WiFi on.
It does and When I have wifi on I am actually using the data connection to transfer a reasonable amount of data. I could probably leave it in standby all day, but really what kind of a test is that.

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
If you are looking for a good battery life with emails and less web browsing the best phone would be the nokia e71 or soon to be released e72. The n900's battery will not be better than the iphone 3g considering that it can do much more than the iphone 3g at any point of time.
Yeah but I want some bling bling. I don't mind carrying around an extra battery as long as it's a thin battery. Check out the Blackberry Bolds MS-1 battery, it's sooo thin I can keep it in my wallet (but I don't, i'm scared about exploding batteries haha).

Not to mention I'm tired of the "standard os" S60 is SOO aging. That's the main factor for not getting the N97 which had some decent specs (except for the RAM available).

I really like the way the n900 looks and if it can really be connected "always" as they say, with few "disconnects" from messengers and email, then I'm in.

BTW- Does anyone know does Maemo 5 support Idle IMAP for Gmail?

Found another post from a prototype user on battery:

http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopi...r=asc&start=60

"
My device have a little bit newer firmware than Michal's. The battery life was in the beginning about 8 hours and now it's 12-13 hours.

I have wlan on continuously and browse quite a lot and play videos and use gps. It's quite good result of test device in this stage. Much better than for E75 in the same development stage. I'm sure that the specifications tell the truth of battery usage times.
"...

"
as i wrote, battery life isn't great at the moment, but it's really hard to judge based on such an early proto i have. next week i'll send it for an update and then i'll see if it gets better. the biggest power eater at the moment seems to be the gsm radio, so it needs some optimizations.
"...

The Following User Says Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 battery, n900 v. power war, piss poor