Active Topics

Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
i'll test the above and report back soon but i'm quite sure its true.
if i receive a call while typing a sms, at the end of the call the sms i was typing disappears hence re-start the typing.
also if i receive a sms while on a call, the audio notification is as loud as your ringer is set. you can't lower the ringer as it will lower the phone call volume too. its bloody irritating at times.

if only they get the small issues fixed, wp7.5 is actually usable but they've taken the iOS template too seriously whereby you start with such basic features missing only to implement them in software updates (hence why mango had a purported 500 updates).

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-05-10 at 17:03. Reason: grammar...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
its true cBEAM that if you get a call during navigation or press menu button, its frozen in backgroun and no more directions are received.

It will resume when you open it, but it will take time to "find itself". No need to reenter destination. Its a real pain in the ***

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zfarooq For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kein View Post
Care to comment on this Lumiaman? Or forever hold your peace.

101 REASONS NOT TO BUY A WINDOWS PHONE 7.5

OS LIMITATIONS
1. No true multitasking - apps are frozen in the background.
No entirely true, browser will still load pages in the background for example.
2. No Divx/Xvid video codec support. Zune will convert with loss of quality.
Errr. It does support both. It will only transcode them if the encoding exceeds the capability of the device.
3. No mass storage mode.
True
4. No micro-SD card support.
Rocking a 64GB SDXC in my Focus so that is definitely not true. Blame the oem for that, not MS
5. Only support up to 16GB storage .
Mmmh... Let's check how much total storage I have... Total storage: 66.64GB...
6. No filemanager. Directory system is totally opaque.
True
7. Need Zune to transfer files. Zune will only transfer photos, videos & music. All other files need to email/upload to yourself.
True, sort off, ubuntu can get stuff off my focus fine.
8. Your contact details are automatically uploaded to cloud service whether you like it or not.
True
9. Limited to 800x480 resolution.
True
10. No wi-fi hotspot.
WRONG! If that was true can you tell me how it is that I've been able to connect my n900 using my focus as a 3g gateway?
11. Cannot use any MP3 file as ringtone except those with strict constraints.
True
12. Cannot set static IP address so no connection to ad-hoc networks.
True
13. No VPN support for this “corporate enterprise” phone.
True
14. Cannot sync with Outlook.
It won't sync with Outlook the software but it syncs with Exchange.
15. Totally closed OS, cannot sideload apps outside MS Marketplace.
True unless you have dev account
16. System font size cannot be changed.
True although that's kind of a moot point.
17. Images and photos cannot be renamed in the phone.
True
18. Windows Live ID account cannot change country once set.

19. No centralized notification page.
Lock screen tells you exactly how many messages you received as text or calls or emails, then if you have pinned said accounts to our home screen they have a counter next to them telling you many unred messages are in.
20. Alarm clock cannot work when phone is turned off. All Nokia Symbian and Meego phones can do this.
True
21. The idle screen is completely blank and cannot display time or notifications.
True
22. Only photos allowed as email attachments, documents not allowed.
False. You can attach documents, they have just implemented a ******ed way of doing it.
23. Bluetooth cannot stream to car audio devices (no rSAP).
24. Cannot stream audio from video to Bluetooth devices (No A2DP).
That's a lie! WTF?!
25. No support for full on-device encryption required for secure applications like mobile banking and online payment.
I have the Bank of America app on my phone. what are you talking about?
26. Cannot use Bluetooth keyboard.
True
27. Cannot silence ringtone or alarm by flipping the phone.
Press volume down once.
28. Very limited customization option.
True or not depending on who you ask.
29. Ugly 2D flat interface. Oversized fonts for headings treat you like an idiot.
That's a subjective point and a such not a valid argument.

USABILITY ISSUES
30. No always visible status bar for battery life, signal strength, carrier, 2G/3G wi-fi, Bluetooth on.
More usable screen space.
31. Taskmanager has no option to shut down apps you don’t want running in the background.
Furiously press back until app is closed.
32. Search and Back button cannot be de-activated in apps or games and easily touched by accident which interrupt your user experience.
Drawback of using capacitive buttons. that's a problem on Android too.
33. Lockscreen need to be activated to show missed call/sms notification.
As i have too on the n900 too?
34. No way to close an app except pressing back button all the way to the first screen.
True.
35. Tiny fonts in messages is very hard to read for those over 45.

36. Cannot edit playlist or create new playlists from phone.
Sort off true, now playing is editable on the phone, everything has to be synced.
37. Cannot delete a song from phone.
Select track, long press and delete.
38. Cannot search your music collection on the phone.
False.
39. Cannot close music player, can only pause. Music player on lockscreen will stay until you reboot.
False.
40. No progress bar for current track playing and no indication which track in an album is playing
False. Have you actually used WP?
41. Cannot lock screen orientation.
True.
42. Online and phone contacts are mixed together with no ability to filter.
Not entirely true.
43. Cumbersome dialing with no smartdial. No way to create a ‘Favourites’ list of phone contacts
True, that's a regression from windows mobile.
44. Cannot save draft sms messages.
True
45. Call history only show phone number type. If a contact has multiple phone nos. for a type the number used is unknown.
Can't answer that.
46. Cannot recognize phone numbers in sms or email to save or use as calling number.
False! It will even recognize addresses will open bing maps for you if you select them.
47. Text messages can only be deleted one by one.
48. Cannot select multiple pictures for deleting, sending or uploading. They must be done one at a time.
True
49. Notification for recurring events is only given once and none thereafter.
False.
50. Apps are listed alphabetically with no way to group by category. Can be hard to find if you don’t remember the name.
True I suppose.
51. Calendar scheduler has no weekly view and monthly view is non-zoomable.
True
52. No peak/off-peak scheduling for email downloads.
What?
53. If both wi-fi and data connection are available which one it chooses to use is unpredictable. User experiences don’t agree with Microsoft that it “typically” choose wi-fi over 3G.

FEATURE LIMITATIONS
54. No video call.
Tango
55. No haptic feedback for keyboard.
56. No Swype.
57. No flashplayer support.

58. No support for Java apps.
59. No call recording or app to do it.
60. No call blocking or app to do it.
61. No screenshots or app to do it.
62. No auto wallpaper changer and no app to do it.

What does this have to do with the OS?
63. Totally locked down os means apps which interact directly with hardware not allowed.
Not entirely true such apps can be sideloaded.

64. No equalizer for Zune music player.
Grasping at straws aren't we?
65. FM radio doesn’t work on speaker.
It's using the earphone cable as an antenna, you can set it to output sound through the speaker of the phone. http://mobilitydigest.com/wp-content.../08/radio2.jpg
66. IE browser has no text reflow, no download capability and no offline reading.
False.
67. No 3rd party browsers allowed except those based on IE.
False. 3rd party browser ae allowed as long as they use the trident engine.
68. No built-in pdf file reader, need to buy app.
False. Acrobat reader is free although it is garbage.
69. Cannot open zip or rar files received as email attachment.
Last time I checked neither can ios or android.
70. Cannot send or receive video by MMS.
False, when sending a text message it gives you the option of adding a picture or a video.
71. Office Mobile has much less features than 3rd party Office editors like SmartOffice, QuickOffice and Polaris. Shame on you, Microsoft!
I do agree with that.
72. No native Google maps and Bing maps is useless for most countries outside U.S.
Bing is useless in the US too...
73. Email time stamp does not show the year.
True
74. Wide difference in apps availability in different markets and users locked to one market.
Problem is not limited to WP7
75. Not all Bing features available outside U.S.
Can't really say anything about that since Im in the US

DUMB AND DUMBER
76. One volume control for all functions including media playback, ringtones, alarms, notifications.
True but then it is that same on the other OS like android or ios too.
77. Wi-fi disconnects when screen sleeps. Too bad if you are in the middle of a download.
False. All my podcasts download while the phone is sleeping.
78. If you receive a text message when talking on the phone an audio alert will blast your ear at the full volume set. All other phones will give a soft beep.
Never experienced that.
79. Can only enter one mobile phone no. for each contact. Mobile nos. entered in other fields will not accept sms.
True
80. Cannot send/receive MMS without enabling 3G data connection. MMS does not use 3G data.
Yes it does. MMS might not count toward your monthly data allowance but they still use your data connection to be transmitted.
81. Phone cannot be charged when off.
True, the phone will turn on when plugged to a charger if off...
82. Need to be plugged in to wall charger to sync wirelessly (a funny definition of wireless).
True
83. Volume up/down buttons cannot operate when screen is off.
Utterly false.
84. Phone will wake up and display sms content on lockscreen when locked – a privacy violation.
True
85. Phone can be rebooted without unlocking to bypass security lock.
How would you bypass security that way? The phone will not sync while locked and even if you force reboot it still asks you to input the unlock code..

FEATURES EVEN DUMB PHONES HAVE BUT WP7.5 DOESN’T
86. No bluetooth file transfer.
87. Cannot handle USSD codes.
It does.
88. Cannot save new contacts from call history.
False
89. Cannot sms contacts from call history.
False
90. Cannot show call duration in call history.
True
91. Cannot delete individual calls in call history.
False. Long press>delete item
92. Call history does not group calls by contact.
True
93. Call history does not show the time of call for calls older than current day.
False. Gives you both the day and time
94. Cannot set custom sounds for different types of notifications.
Wrong. Settings>Ringtone&Sound> assign different sounds to the various notification events.
95. No ringer profiles.
Blame Nokia for that, they have access to te wp7 source code and could have implemented that but choose not to.
96. No silent option (no vibrate and no ring).Wrong. Settings> Ringerff> Vibrate: off
97. Cannot send/receive contact as a csv file.
True
98. Cannot backup sms to PC.
True
99. Cannot save contact to SIM card.
True
100. Cannot change the alarm sound.
True
101. Cannot set alarm snooze interval.
True unless using an alarm app.
Source
Wow, as a Samsung Focus and N900 I can't believe that one of my fellow mtalk members would spread such drivel... I decided to set the record straight.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ayle For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
How many N95 or N79s are being sold now?
now? don't know. but they sold better than any Lumia. Your point?

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
no intention to get into an argument here but Ayle too has massaged the facts while setting the record straight:

76. One volume control for all functions including media playback, ringtones, alarms, notifications.
True but then it is that same on the other OS like android or ios too.[I](it isn't like that on Android and iOS)[/I]
77. Wi-fi disconnects when screen sleeps. Too bad if you are in the middle of a download.
False. All my podcasts download while the phone is sleeping.the WiFi and 3G inter-operability is a mess, google it and you'll see the results
78. If you receive a text message when talking on the phone an audio alert will blast your ear at the full volume set. All other phones will give a soft beep.
Never experienced that. this does occur from personal experience even google shows it up.

i don't have the time to check all the facts out but come on don't muddy the waters when blaming others for coming up with drivel.

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-05-10 at 17:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Please take note that SamKB (the person who originally came up with the list) is most likely talking about Lumia series. The source thread is talking abt Nokia Lumia

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eaglehelang For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
no intention to get into an argument here but Ayle too has massaged the facts while setting the record straight:

True but then it is that same on the other OS like android or ios too.[I](it isn't like that on Android and iOS)[/I]
False. All my podcasts download while the phone is sleeping.the WiFi and 3G inter-operability is a mess, google it and you'll see the results
Never experienced that. this does occur from personal experience even google shows it up.

i don't have the time to check all the facts out but common don't muddy the waters when blaming others for coming up with drivel.
Exactly, not only that but what Ayle says here is completely wrong

Rocking a 64GB SDXC in my Focus so that is definitely not true. Blame the oem for that, not MS
Mmmh... Let's check how much total storage I have... Total storage: 66.64GB..
The only reason the Samsung focus has a microsd slot is because of the OEM and carrier. MS do not support it and have actually spoke out against both Samsung and AT&T regarding the expansion. They officially confirmed it isn't supported in WP7 at Mix10.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/09/s...lling-cards-i/

From then, WP7 has never had expandable memory in handsets and they have always had an abysmal amount of storage.

Last edited by Cue; 2012-05-10 at 18:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
lumia is a fail, simple, easy, accurate, theyre falling, long live maemo, XD

the good thing about Lumia is.. when our N9 get old and/or we want a New Bigger Body we can use Lumia 900 to do the Holy deed... and mod it to become a Bigger N9

The Following User Says Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
the good thing about Lumia is.. when our N9 get old and/or we want a New Bigger Body we can use Lumia 900 to do the Holy deed... and mod it to become a Bigger N9
its not worth it. the lumia 900 doesn't have a curved screen instead it has a raised bezel around it. this would severly hinder the swipe ux of the n9.

also read somewhere that the polycarbonate of the 900 is actually rougher when felt compared to the n9 or lumia 800 so another drawback there.

Closed Thread