Posts: 59 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Oct 2015 @ FRANCE
Hi guys,

Yesterday, after about a 1 year search, I found a N900 for 10€ in a website like Craigslist but in France (Leboncoin.fr).

I contacted the seller and bought the phone (he was happy not to have it anymore as he replaced it a long, long time ago).

Nice looking even with some scratches on the LCD and on the Battery, the only problem the vendor said:
the µUSB port is gone.

I know it's the N900 disease but here it wiped one of the pads on the PCB(the first one : VCC/5V).

anyway, I charged the battery externally lately yesterday when I got back home (2.5v to 3.97v in less than an hour at 1000mA, so it's fine) and I put everything back together, the phone LED goes white for some seconds and it vibrates, I also saw the keyboard lighting sometimes when I slided it, but not always (at some starts it works, all the other times it doesn't),
though, nothing on LCD nor in the Speakers,
this evening, I soldered some wires on the golden test pads, made some tests (not succcessful), then I removed them, I also cleaned the device a lot, 6 Years of dust...

So:
-Nothing on LCD
-I'll have to solder a new USB jack, but I'd love to make that MOD:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90460
-I'm missing 4 screws (2 on the LCD and 2 that hold the front of the phone (not the hex screws)
-The "CMOS" battery is flat (500mV) but I don't know how to change it
-Inside the phone is a bit corroded, not a lot but that's noticeable

Please tell me It's just a matter of updating the firmware or something, I'm kind of lost and tired of waiting for this wonderful device (I already love it, so dense, so functional (except for the keyboard), so nokia ).

All thoughts are welcome

I forgot to mention:
I'm a student, not in electronics but I tinker, I'm planning to get an HAM license (I'm in a Radio-Club) and I'm beginning at making my PCBs and soldering SMT componnents, though I was never lucky with small devices like smartphones

It seems to be alive right now as when i press on lcd i got feedbac haptic (vibrating) and the keyboard is lit when opened but stil nothing on lcd

I just locked it and unlocked it a second ago with the slider on the side of the phone

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Connect it to the TV. Can you see anything?

I try in a minute

Just need to find a video cable, is a camescope cable fine ? Jack 4 points

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yes, jack, 4 points. I don't know what cameoscope is but my old Sony laptop, Panasonic video camera and Nokia N900 video cables were completely interchangeable.

Seems to be working I checked pinout, gnd and av signal reversed, I tested and got some signal (a "valider" button appared but very noisy) i'm soldering an adapter wait a minute, thanks for the great idea