Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
Who is Neimen?
AFAIK Neimen is a finnish company that has been maintaining parts of the maemo.org infra for a couple of years already. If I remember correctly this was mentioned in the last council meeting.

about the topic: I already voted and find it very unlikely that this discussion would've changed my vote.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Some quick questions;

1) If/when Neimen no longer wants to be the legal owner of the site and/or becomes unresponsive (moves, other complications, etc) - is there a process to transfer the ownership without his involvment?
Currently there isn't the same issue as the owner is a corporation with multiple contact points but now it seems like that is being limited to one individual.

2) Is Neimen legally responsible for material posted/hosted on the site (liber, illegal s/w, etc). Not saying that there is or will be any of that but is he in the end legally responsible for any outcome of such activities - and if so, does he know it?

3) I understand that when MeeGo was announced any extensive project for the maemo.org site was pretty much put on hold to see how things would settle. Now with this news does efforts like the tmo restructuring become a potential project (resolving the issue with many categories just being called 'Applications' for instance and making it hard to search for threads only applicable to a certain OS)?

4) How will maemo.org and tmo projects/work be handled? Polls for what people feel is most important and then a public task-list where members can look up the status on the items?

5) Did Nokia do any site-work prior to this handover or was it all handled by Reggie - and if not who will pick up those tasks?

Edit: saw a post about Neimen actually being a company and not an individual (I was confused when Neiman was refered to as 'He' so please ignore applicable questions above if that is the case).
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-09-17 at 16:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Quick answer: the community never owned it.
Ah yes, good answer lma. And the followup is, the community doesn't come to own it or control it simply because Nokia transfers it to another company.

AIUI the highlights are:
  • Nokia "will continue to support maemo.org", but they can't make definite long-term commitments.
  • Nokia will continue to be the owner of the Maemo trademark, and the current usage guidelines will continue to apply.
  • Nemein will be the legal owner of the domain.
  • Nemein will continue maintaining the services under contract from Nokia.
  • Said contract "accounts to something like 1 person" and is renegotiated every 6 months.
  • It may be possible to allow able and willing community members to handle some of the maintenance work, but only under liability contracts.

The obvious questions are:
  1. Is this level of funding enough for ongoing maintenance and development of all maemo.org services?
  2. If not, what gets cut?
  3. What happens after funding dries up?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Finnish law requires that the site belong to Nemein? That's amazing. What happens if Nemein gets hit by a bus?
Try a less extreme interpretation of the Finglish.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Nemein is Henri Bergius' company (aka bergie), a member of this community.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
I vote we go back to ITT and Reggie. Good old days...things seemed alot simpler back then.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
I vote we go back to ITT and Reggie. Good old days...things seemed alot simpler back then.
maemo.org is bigger than just ITT.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
Who is Neimen?
Nemein is a Finnish free software consultancy. We've been working on maintaining and developing the maemo.org community services for a few years now, with some familiar names like myself, Ferenc, Niels, Rambo and Reggie.

If you want to know a bit more about what we do, then visit our website, ask questions from me, or meet us in the Helsinki MeeGo Network or the MeeGo Summit

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
maemo.org is bigger than just ITT.
I know, I know I was just reminiscing...