Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Something's either wrong with your device, or you're measuring incorrectly. Not a single one of my (four) devices gets under 3 hours of in-use battery life, and they usually get over 5 with my typical use pattern.
Same here. Luca, you might want to check if you have some misbehaving services running....

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
The only extra daemon that should be running (apart from the standard fare that comes with the os) is the ssh server, and I doubt it's draining too much battery. I think wifi is to blame (as I said, I use it for browsing, rss and email, so the wifi is constantly in use).

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by luca View Post
I think wifi is to blame (as I said, I use it for browsing, rss and email, so the wifi is constantly in use).
Did you turn off powersaving? My use cases are ALL with wifi at least idling, and usually with a lot of browsing, so this really doesn't explain it (wifi is very efficient on these devices—unless you turn off powersaving).

No, power saving is active.
I'm trying now without claws and the corresponding ssh tunnel (i.e. just the browser) to see if it lasts longer (though the battery applet is flip-flopping constantly between "2 hours left" and "1 hour left").
edit: anyway power saving only works when there'ss nothing to transfer, in another thread I explained how wifi sucks around 50% cpu when wgetting a file.

Last edited by luca; 2008-03-03 at 16:59.

Ok, after 2 and a half hour of just browsing I see the low battery alarm. I should have enough juice to post this...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
edit: anyway power saving only works when there'ss nothing to transfer, in another thread I explained how wifi sucks around 50% cpu when wgetting a file.
The wifi radio flips on and off many times a second, this has nothing to do with CPU consumption. You confused drive issues with chipset inefficiency in the other thread, so you didn't really manage to explain anything.

@luca:
I've seen the 2 hours battery time in two scenarios only:
  • When listening on streaming internet radio. This _sucks_ power.
  • While using one particular SiS chipset-based wi-fi router that I own, it somehow manages to disable the N800 wi-fi power saving function. I own other (newer, faster) wi-fi routers as well, and none of them (or any other I've used, for that matter) exhibits the same anomalous behaviour.
My normal use case is to keep the N800 connected to my work wi-fi from early in the morning to late in the evening, browsing occasionally and reading email now and then, plus the off-on gtalk chat. After such a day the battery meter typically shows "7 days/5 hours", which is pretty good.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Funny she (or "he" according to texrat, edit: now I see that it's actually signed by Matthew Stevens) complains about the 2 hours battery time of the thinkpad, since I don't get that much time out of my n800 (maybe the n810 has better power management/a bigger capacity battery).
Oh, and I don't get even an hour out of my thinkpad, so the tablet is definitely better wrt battery life.
Until I got the extra large battery pack, I was getting 1.5 to 2 hours from my T43-- now getting 3 or so. 3 to 4 from tablet depending on usage. What's nice with the tablets is that they're MUCH quicker getting on and off networks for me than PCs tend to be.

Now, if I could only figure out how to get Dicewars to work offline...

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
@Dicewars: Saving the complete page and opening the dice.swf works

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jobester For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
@luca:
I've seen the 2 hours battery time in two scenarios only:
  • When listening on streaming internet radio. This _sucks_ power.
  • While using one particular SiS chipset-based wi-fi router that I own, it somehow manages to disable the N800 wi-fi power saving function. I own other (newer, faster) wi-fi routers as well, and none of them (or any other I've used, for that matter) exhibits the same anomalous behaviour.
I can second the power-suckage (hehehe) of internet radio. I guess it is the always-on wifi and the always-on decoding.

Another short battery life scenario is a cheap wifi router at my in-laws; I kept losing connection until I saw in another thread to bump the Power Saving mode to "Intermediate." This solved the disconnection problem, but, as I was warned when I changed the setting (under Advanced / Other on the connection setup box), "Changing to this value increases power consumption significantly." ... Wow, the battery just seems to evaporate at their house.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: