Notices

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Are there any chances for that Whatsup developer(s) offer us newer/working version of wu? And perhaps even so that wu has proper protocol for future... I will make a proper donation if these things happen =)

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Europe
I don't think this will be so easy... Basically only iOS and Android protocols are left. Maybe with Android it could work but I can imagine that any functionalities have to be reprogrammed on SFOS level to fully work correctly. But I would totally support a new version of a native app...
They are sooo much nicer than the android app

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Get over it use telegram instead its more open and encrypted. and easy to install and use for non geeks too.

So tell your friends to switch works flawlessly on Iphone, Android, Laptop and SFOS

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Get over it use telegram instead its more open and encrypted.
Good luck trying to say that to all the people you know (and not know)

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Good luck trying to say that to all the people you know (and not know)
In this case I think its not that hard to convince peoplse since its not a geek only chat such as XMMP or similar fail cause "too much hassle to install and not ready apps"

Isn't Whatsapp using xmpp? And if you're using email you're also capable of using jabber

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Get over it use telegram instead its more open and encrypted.
Neither of those statements are true. Telegram's server software is proprietary, so it doesn't matter that the clients are free software. Conversations on Telegram are all sent unencrypted by default and are stored on Telegram's proprietary servers, whereas conversations on WhatsApp are encrypted with the Signal protocol, always and everywhere.

WhatsApp may be the worst thing to happen to communication since Facebook, but at least they don't pretend to be anything else. Telegram are a bunch of phonies.

Don't use Telegram.

(You could use Signal instead. It works on Android, iOS, your desktop and even on Sailfish!)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 69 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ kerala
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Neither of those statements are true. Telegram's server software is proprietary, so it doesn't matter that the clients are free software. Conversations on Telegram are all sent unencrypted by default and are stored on Telegram's proprietary servers, whereas conversations on WhatsApp are encrypted with the Signal protocol, always and everywhere.

WhatsApp may be the worst thing to happen to communication since Facebook, but at least they don't pretend to be anything else. Telegram are a bunch of phonies.

Don't use Telegram.

(You could use Signal instead. It works on Android, iOS, your desktop and even on Sailfish!)
Telegram provides an open api and encourages any one to develop a client for it. Source being open is not a criteria for me as long the messaging app work since i dont plan to use it for my secret missions anyway .As long as , it does not force me to use an os i dont like(i e open web api. If you are not interested in an os , let me build my own client using your api.) .

It also has a very good web interface which does not force you to keep your phone connected. I dont know if signal has a web interface. Telegrams web interface means even if a client is not there , you can just take the url in the browser and it will work. This alone makes it a winner over whatsapp and signal.

Last edited by padmaraj.ravi; 2016-08-20 at 11:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to padmaraj.ravi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
and yet, we still need official android client first to register. So, what's the point of native unofficial one and open API? Telegram sucks almost as much as whatsup.
What we need is some kind of MMS/SMS combo with some enhancements that is standardized across the globe just like SMS/MMS with some fixed monthly fee for the service and to be done with all those OTT services.

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by padmaraj.ravi View Post
I dont know if signal has a web interface.
Yes, it does, in the form of a Chromium extension which functions as a (sort of) standalone desktop client: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...pdbppfkghcmihk
Edit: to make it clear, you only need to connect this desktop client to the phone once, after that you don't need the phone anymore.

(Unfortunately that means you need to install Chromium or Opera to use it, but it's better than nothing.)

Last edited by nthn; 2016-08-20 at 12:57.

Tags
alpha, jolla, tohkbd, whatsup