Active Topics

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
What I do is the following:
(this assumes you have the Internet search widget enabled)
1.) press the right arrow key
a flashing text cursor is shown
2.) type anything and enter
MicroB pops up
if it didn't autoconnect to a saved network already then it will ask to connect to a wifi network. Connect or cancel (use left and right arrows and enter)
3.) press the home button (two squares)
the quick taskbar will pop-up.
Nope. The browser shrinks to telescoped view. No quick taskbar pop-up.

If I do a longer press on the home key I get the home screen displayed. Still no access to the application menu.

4.) press left arrow key
the taskbar icon will be selected
5.) press up arrow key twice to select Applications menu
6.) right arrow key, now open something like terminal.
7.) to open another application simply repeat steps 3-6.
8.) ctrl+q to close a window
Possibly something like this will work, but I can get access to anything apart from the desktop widgets and the main home page menu. Not the application menu.

Alternatively if you didn't leave the search widget enabled you can try the following:
Requires:
* wired keyboard (or a wireless one that has a usb dongle; non-bt dongle)
* USB OTG adapter
What is this USB OTG adapter? Is it just a F/F USB adapter or is there more to it than that?

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
Nope. The pressing the escape key after 2x the home key still has me staring at the home screen. No application menu access.
My bad, the escape key moves you around the open apps - not apps within a category. Come to think of it...that might be a nice addition to the program though.

If you're able to SSH into your N810 and can change the telescope file for short-keys you should be able to map, say, space to launch Control Panel (or any other app).

There's some good info on how to map keys to actions on this page:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50689&page=14
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Unless I've misunderstood the problem: from the home screen, you can press the 'menu' key to bring up the drop-down menu at the top, then select 'help' (or maybe something else), then press the 'task switcher key' to bring up the task switcher, then press 'left' and you should see a highlight appear in the left-hand column of icons (the bit that contains icons for running apps and menus). You can then use the dpad and 'enter' to navigate those icons/menus.

HTH

Originally Posted by skinny View Post
Unless I've misunderstood the problem: from the home screen, you can press the 'menu' key to bring up the drop-down menu at the top, then select 'help' (or maybe something else), then press the 'task switcher key' to bring up the task switcher,
Nope, I get the shrunken telescoped view of my open apps. Maybe your further advice would work if I wasn't using Telescope.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Nope, I get the shrunken telescoped view of my open apps. Maybe your further advice would work if I wasn't using Telescope.
Mitrandir is in the Telescope thread right now...maybe post a question there

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58691&page=18
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Ah I see... yeah I'm not running telescope.... soz!

Reflash, remove telescope, it's meant for a touchscreen and in fact in the build I tried (which was admittingly quite a few revisions back, I could highlight-select a window but not actually switch to it with the keyboard).

This is the OTG adapter.
here &
here

You can make one but at $8 $5 on ebay and good construction it's not the worth the time. I use it with my usb keyboard, with my usb=>ethernet adapter, wifi adapter (monitor mode; requires separate power source), and usb flash drives. Host mode is what we get to throw in the faces of N900 owners (;

Reflash, remove telescope, it's meant for a touchscreen and in fact in the build I tried (which was admittingly quite a few revisions back, I could highlight-select a window but not actually switch to it with the keyboard).
Thankfully, my touchscreen functionality has (intermittently) returned, so I was able to install usbcontrol.

You can make one but at $8 $5 on ebay and good construction it's not the worth the time. I use it with my usb keyboard, with my usb=>ethernet adapter, wifi adapter (monitor mode; requires separate power source), and usb flash drives. Host mode is what we get to throw in the faces of N900 owners (;
Ordered one. Thanks for the pointer.

Just out of interest, how many N810 users here are struggling on without touchscreen functionality? How many have had touchscreen functionality fail and successfully replaced the main flex cable that causes it?

In an attempt to fix the touchscreen I ended up severing the ribbon cable that goes from the LCD to the main assembly ribbon cable. Now the LCD of course is non-functional. -_-