Notices

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki
Hi all!
There are already a few threads about these games, but I'd like to create a new one for the announcement of their porting.

Neverball is a challenging ability game, were you control a ball by tilting the floor (the N900 accelerometer is used for that); in each level, you have to collect a certain number of coins and then reach the goal in a certain time.

Neverputt is a mini golf game, from one up to four players. It's controlled using the touchscreen.

As I have some trouble taking screenshots from the games, I'll take one from the official site instead (on the N900 it's exactly the same except for the screen size):

You can also see a couple of videos from my blog, here for Neverball and here for Neverputt.

Both games are using 3D graphics (implemented in OpenGL ES 1.1) on libSDL. Many thanks to Javispedro for his excellent SDL-GLES library. Unfortunately Neverball is not as smooth as neverputt, mainly because of the physics calculations being more demanding on the CPU. But it's playable.
The games are now available in the extras-testing repository. You are very welcome to try them out, but remember that they might still be buggy. The user interface is indeed not yet totally touchscreen-friendly, and both games use 100% of the CPU power when running, so they might suck quite a lot of your battery juice.

Feedback about the game itself should be better addressed to the original Neverball forum (I'm just taking care of the N900 port).

Suggestions on how to improve the port, and especially code contributions are very welcome. The code is here.

And before you ask, yes, I'll also work on porting these to the upcoming N9.

The Following 66 Users Say Thank You to mardy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 233 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hungary
that's all I'm saying: YEAAAAAAHHH!!! Thank you!

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2011 @ /dev/ttyS0
Nice job... and thanks! I installed these several years ago for my kids to play... and have since forgotten about them. Should be fun on the phone with the accelo though!

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Very cool, thx!

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Lebanon- Beirut
package missing: libgles1-sgx-img ?

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Please check which repositories you have enabled, you might check extras-testing and extras-devel also.
Code:
[1|user@Nokia-N900|~]apt-cache policy libgles1-sgx-img
libgles1-sgx-img:
  Installed: 0.20100611.6+0m5
  Candidate: 0.20100611.6+0m5
  Version table:
 *** 0.20100611.6+0m5 0
        500 https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com ./ Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     0.20090218.55.9+0m5 0
        500 https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com ./ Packages

Posts: 509 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ indonesia
@ mardy as my grateful I made u an icon for neverball , the icon size is 80x80 so it will fit for harmattan, if ulike i can made for neverput,
Attached Images

Triple Booting : maemo, power kernel 47, nitdroid umay 2,3,4

make ur desktop look awesome use symbian-anna-icons and harmattan icon pack

thanx button if u wanna say thanx dont use reply to save space loo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cloud596 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Something is really strange about control... And camera movement makes it worse... I don't know what could be done, maybe some tweaking in the accelerometer settings, sensitivity, etc...
And make camera a little more "passive"... don't know if that's hard to do in the original game...
On the other side it just works fine, 100% speed at 900 Mhz....
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
I just installed it, it looks great, however is very hard to play. It seems that the game does not do what the player wants. I think due the camera movement as strange1720 said.

Sometime the ball is going down, and when camera moves, then the ball is going up. It would be nice that the camera moves only when the user moves it touching the screen.

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
I just installed it, it looks great, however is very hard to play. It seems that the game does not do what the player wants. I think due the camera movement as strange1720 said.

Sometimes the ball is going down, and when the camera moves, then the ball is going up. It would be nice that the camera moves only when the user moves it touching the screen.