Posts: 17 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Amstelveen
Hello All,

I have a similar problem, I have successfully flashed my N900 (booth rootfs and eMMC). But it does not boot up in either normal mode or the R&D mode. I have read this tread but I think my problem is different since my device never boots up in any of the modes, It just hangs on to the NOKIA logo then goes blank.

Please help... I have been trying different flashing sequences and have even cleaned up the device with contacts cleaner but all in vain.

Regards,

Too few details. How Your device came to this state? Have You tried flashing framebuffer kernel to check on which point it crashes?

Without more specific data, we're unable to help.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Hey, Thanks for the response..

I purchased this phone from Amsterdam and after some time (2 yrs) came back to Mumbai, India. I used the phone with vodafone n/w for few days, then all of a sudden my phone came to an halt.. it starts to boot using u-boot and after a few seconds waited for some default os image then it wud reboot, sometimes (after i left it off for hours) it wud boot till setting up the regional settings like language/time etc.. then reboot. I rem using internet (in Mumbai) on my phone a day before. I had never used u-boot to boot any other os on my phone but it was lying there (as i intended to use it with Nitdroid). u-boot had been there on my N900 since more than a month without giving me any issues.

Anyways I feel it may be coz of:
-Internet usage (somehow)
-u boot
-some change/fluctuation in power input (while charging), due to change in geography

Then I flashed my phone, it removed u-booot, but it wud start booting and then shut down after waiting at the NOKIA logo for about 30 seconds.

then I gave it to the nokia center, they said that the device is not able to take the s/w update.. And later on after some time they just said that the device looks like to be liquid damaged and they won’t do anything to fix it. But I don’t think it was liq damaged ever.. I even opened it up recently.. But cud not see any calcium formation on the mother board..rather the board looked new!

that’s my story, I have never tried flashing using framebuffer kernel, what does it do ? And meanwhile i will find out how to do it as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to rocky18tid For This Useful Post:
If it had to be downloaded from:

http://maemo.org/packages/source/vie...-framebuffer1/

then I guess it has been removed from the above location, where else can I find it

Hey... I am not able to find the framebuffer kernel, can any body help?

Thanks

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Venezuela
It's very weird that neither normal or R&D mode lets your device boot after a successful flash...
I think the best way to know what is happening to your device is flashing it with framebuffer kernel (as Estel suggested).
Keep searching for the file or try to contact Mohammad Abu-Garbeyyeh who is the maintainer of the package.

Good luck!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jvollmann For This Useful Post:
@rocky18tid
you may be interested in using this:
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Using_Rescue_Initrd
AIUI, it alllow You to enter mass storage mode (for whole rootfs and optfs)/USB networking etc, without backupmenu installed. This allow You to use plain kp49 and fbcon modprobed early in preinit, to easily get framebuffer output.

Of course, this apply only, if You're able to get into recovery initrd at all, cause we still doesn't know on which part Your booting process fails. It can also be broken NOLO, which would require cold flash.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Hi Estell,

I got 'kernel-framebuffer-flasher_2.6.28-20101501+0m5-framebuffer1_armel.deb' the framebuffer kernel today morning, thanks to Jvollmann. I will try the intrd method later on (it looks rocket science to me :-( )

Jvollmann,
But since the above is a .deb file, I have to use a ubuntu machine to flash it to my N900. Can I directly flash a .deb file into my device or do I need to depacakge it to find the .bin file? I do not see any .bin like files when I depackage it on unix. I see the below:

debian-binary
data.tar.gz
control.tar.gz

Or do I need to install it in my ubuntu machine using 'sudo dpkg -i <kernel-framebuffer-flasher............>' and then find the kernel at some location and then flash it using the maemo flasher?

Basically how will I flash a .deb file into my device...

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Venezuela
You're right.. I forgot that I "installed" framebuffer kernel inside maemo (because my device booted successfully in R&D mode)...
I think you should better PM Mohammad Abu-Garbeyyeh and ask him what could you do!
Sorry I couldn't help you out

The Following User Says Thank You to jvollmann For This Useful Post:
You need to unpack data.tar.gz and search there a little, for vmlinuz file - it's kernel itself. You then flash the file with flasher, setting it as kernel-only, not fiasco image.

Don't worry, it's not rocket science after all. And, you probably can't break it more than it is already
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-