Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Not particularly excited about the cellular stuff here.
I agree. The main reason I went with a tablet in the first place was an attempt to get away from a device locked to a particular service by a particular company. I am fairly successfully using SIP via hotspots without being chained to a particular provider.

While I am sure integrated cell hardware may interest a lot of people, I have zero interest in it due to the crappy protective duopolistic cellular market I live in (Canada) and hope that Nokia doesn't forget about that part of the market. I would eventually be interested in upgrading to a tablet with a faster CPU and a better camera but I wouldn't waste money on integrated cell hardware.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post
Heh.. quite fun to read the views on the HSPA. I suspect it will not increase the cost by 25%. Therefore, for most average joe consumers (that Nokia is obviously aiming for in the end) will appreciate having that choise. As for the operating cost: turn it off.
I've read technical details about a not-to-be-specified USB 3G stick. You know, meant for laptops.

When powered on 3.3V for WCDMA the Txoutput of 22 dBm with mA slightly under 500. For EDGE, MCS5 it'd be between 250 and 400 mA. GPRS actually uses more mA than EDGE.

This counts for one specific family of USB 3G sticks, not for al. I don't claim they're an indication of any kind.

When idle however, the devices uses about 50-70 mA. Completely shutting it down (to standby) might on longer run be worth it. Top optimize battery life that is something to be looked into IMO.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ England
I Like every thing but 3G I don't have the money to pay £10+ a month for that. why cant they just stick the wifi and bluetooth. The hd camera would be nice the one in the n800 is rubbish!

wont all of this extra stuff just push up the price tag, the n810 is all ready too expensive!

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by mwiktowy View Post
I agree. The main reason I went with a tablet in the first place was an attempt to get away from a device locked to a particular service by a particular company. I am fairly successfully using SIP via hotspots without being chained to a particular provider.
You're not forced to buy the device.

Consider my situation. 4 major telcos provide 90-99% HSDPA coverage in the whole country. There is no WiFi in trains. There is WiFi on train stations. Open wireless is in decline, WEP is no option (== illegal). Add to that, WiFi is not everywhere, little to no control over bandwidth or latency, and doesn't support roaming. Now lets look to WiMAX. Only 1 provider right now, providing full coverage only in the capital. Furthermore, WiMAX is rolled out in rural areas where deploying DSL, cable, or optical fiber are not a profitable option.

Elsewhere I notice these FONatics making mouth to mouth commercials for FON. OK, thats PUN, but it doesn't allow (near) 24/7 connectivity. It doesn't allow my weather info to be updated on the fly. No, no. Instead I need to walk past a FON AP (or open wireless AP, or crack WEP, or smile with all cuteness to some stranger). Need to phone? Errr. You arrive on some obscure AP and got 5 new voicemails on your SIP account. Mind you, logged in on SIP account on random AP w/o encryption.

3G outside of country is often expensive however if you can find a good deal for that... (I've found some, called iPASS).

While I am sure integrated cell hardware may interest a lot of people, I have zero interest in it due to the crappy protective duopolistic cellular market I live in (Canada) and hope that Nokia doesn't forget about that part of the market. I would eventually be interested in upgrading to a tablet with a faster CPU and a better camera but I wouldn't waste money on integrated cell hardware.
There are no viable alternatives except some claim WiFi (CT2/DECT-like) or WiMAX (not rolled out well yet but if its rolled out and you're happy with the area coverage it might indeed be your best bet to get free from the shackles of telcos). 3G is the worst of all evil. Especially compared to normal GSM.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MicroChip123 View Post
I Like every thing but 3G I don't have the money to pay £10+ a month for that.
With 3 PAYG you can just pay 50p on the days that you do want to use it. I think Orange and Vodafone have similar "daily" options for a pound.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
ARJWright's questions and comments inspired me to post this on my company blog (no sanitization necessary; links omitted):

Inverting Telephony

Ari Jaaksi, open source champion here in Nokia, gave a keynote speech at the 2008 Open Source in Mobile (OSiM) conference that revealed a few tasty tidbits of what's to come with Maemo and the internet tablets. The essentials are divulged in his public blog.

The one upcoming advent that has generated significant polarized discussion on and off line is the support for High-Speed Packet Access (HSPA). While so far that support is said to be limited to data traffic (i.e., no cellular voice service), Voice over IP (VoIP) is still an option-- and suddenly an even more attractive one for many people in some areas. Can we now say "Internet Everywhere"?

Currently VoIP (also known as IP telephony) is the geeky little brother to what's commonly called "plain old telephone service", or POTS for the acronym-happy. It has carved out a solid niche market that doesn't currently show any real signs of major disruption.

But all that is bound to change, and sooner than some might like. In the old telephony model, digital IP services ran on top of an analog infrastructure. Think of it as "IP over Voice". Purists would call it a kludged solution. However, the bulk of that infrastructure has been recast as digital in short order. Ironically, some developing regions enjoyed digital service before pioneering regions because they were not reached until very recently, after analog was being phased out. Consequently, it should not be as difficult for them to embrace new developments (added)

In the new flipped model to be, IP will be the telephony foundation. Suddenly VoIP makes more sense, in this environ, than POTS. It's faster, more efficient, and capable of greater bandwidth. Present problems with reliability (at least in the US) should straighten out once the digitization is 100% complete.

This brave new communications model threatens the status quo of current telephony service providers. The internet would support a vast open market where anyone, anywhere could provide your phone service. Proprietary VoIP offerings like Skype aside, SIP-based solutions would make the market feasible. Theoretically, he with the best servers (and of course, last-mile delivery) wins. Given Google's phone ventures combined with their idea to float servers on the ocean, they start to look like the true threat to the telcos... especially if they ever choose to do so in international waters (revised).

And I don't expect the carriers to move fast enough to address the changing game. In the US, they have already proven themselves, with only minor exceptions, highly resistant to such change. So besides Google, does Vonage stand to eventually unseat Verizon as king of US phone service? I realize that sounds improbable, but then, how long ago was it that a monolithic AT&T had the vast majority of our market locked down tight?

As loathe as I am to say this, legislative and regulatory bodies may have to step in at some near future point to resolve sticky issues of cross-provider access. I fully expect Skype to eventually wither on the vine, but that won't preclude surviving VoIP providers from erecting walled gardens of their own. Somehow, IP telephony needs to be as ubiquitous and hassle-free as POTS. I expect it to happen, but how rough will the transition to be?

At least Nokia is positioning itself properly, I think, to be an important game-changer here. How exciting that a former skunkworks project like the internet tablets now stands to benefit from and even drive the impending telephony disruption! As nervous as I am today, I can't wait to see what's to come...

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-09-17 at 20:29.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Between that post from texrat and one of my last editorials, i am feeling like i know what is going on. Guess i better start looking for work

I think a NIT with integrated HSPA would be nice - if I could do away with my cell phone and just carry a NIT and use VoIP then I would be set. Of course, until Canadian mobile companies offer reasonably priced data plans it doesn't matter much for me.

The biggest problem I have with my n800 is that along my travel route and around my office, there aren't really many open WiFi access points so I can't use it for it's primary use most of the time (pretty much any time except when I'm at home, in which case I could use a desktop computer). Of course, as I said, this isn't so much a problem with the n800 itself as it is with the service providers - I would gladly tether to my cell with bluetooth if it weren't prohibitively expensive.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mysticode For This Useful Post:
And here I am, still wondering if Nokia will optimize and ship the codecs & Maemo updates for the N8x0-series to make (SIP) video calling practical...

The crappy VGA cam is *good enough* for that purpose (only), but that killer app never seemed to get much love interest from the management and now it may well be that they're fully immersed in optimizing (?) Maemo 5 for the new hardware and it's 770 all over again, except with a larger user base.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I'll chime in with my 2 cents on this not so unexpected development.

1) I find it quite funny to read the comments from people talking about the expense of the tablet going up. $479 (retail) is not cheap to begin with and when I compare this to the people over on Howard Forums who spend $550 every month on a new phone its totally Lol-worthy. I know these are two very different markets but for Nokia the N-series have always been branded as premium devices there is nothing "value" about them.

2) The benefit of having an unlocked 3.5G telephony module is simple, if you want to use the HSPA then use it, if you don't want to use it then don't put a SIM in it. The second a GSM module is put into a device doesn't mean that a carrier will get to mess with it. Just ask the legions of NA S60 fans here like me who have used $400-$500 dollar devices contract free for years.

3) I am on ATT, there is a $15 a month plan for *unlimited HSDPA access on my N78. I also tether my N810 every day and have not ever incurred any charges even though I know I am playing with fire on this one.

4) This is my dream platform OMAP3, hardware 3d acceleration, HSPA and all while running Maemo, this has only been reinforced by my recent purchase of an N78 S60 which is the latest and greatest (in North America) symbian phone and it still doesn't hold a candle to the capabilities of my little tablet.

5) Texrat - "skunkworks" sounds so condescending.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:

Tags
job, n900