Active Topics

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
We still have to see how it goes in end-consumer devices, but this looks promising.
I think that the warranty voided warning is there exactly for consumer devices -- doesn't seem likely they'd put that for warranty-less N950s

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I think that the warranty voided warning is there exactly for consumer devices -- doesn't seem likely they'd put that for warranty-less N950s
If I understood correctly, flashing/booting kernel that is not signed by nokia triggers the open mode even within harmattan?

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
If I understood correctly, flashing/booting kernel that is not signed by nokia triggers the open mode even within harmattan?
Exactly. That's the "news" part, as it was not allowed by beta1. (In fact, I couldn't boot any unsigned kernel at all).

The fact that Aegis enters the "official" open mode means that many apps automatically stop checking for privileges, like D-Bus, etc. and there's no need to make individual patches for each of them.

Last edited by javispedro; 2011-10-12 at 22:42.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Do you think there is a "write once" hardware flag to implement this warranty void?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post
If it is a subsidised phone, with the subsidy given on the basis of additional revenue that the operator will derive from your (restricted) use of the device (e.g. billable communication, licensed media etc.), then it is not your device.
I'm not sure how this works anywhere other than in the USA, but in my experience in the USA if you buy a subsidized phone you sign up for a contract. If you then use your phone on a different network, you STILL have to pay the contract, so there's no rational justification other than needless control to lock your phone - if you get another contract you're still paying your 40-60$ per month for the contract that subsidized your phone costs, so no, at no point does your phone provider lose money or not recover their costs if you use your phone unlocked.

Just wanted to point out the folly in saying you don't own the phone - technically you don't /own/ a house when you take out a mortgage on it until the mortgage is paid off either, or a car until you're done paying the car's cost off, but no one says the loan issuer can tell you what you can do inside/to your house or where you can drive your car.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Exactly. That's the "news" part, as it was not allowed by beta1. (In fact, I couldn't boot any unsigned kernel at all).
That was a bug back then, FWIW
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Just wanted to point out the folly in saying you don't own the phone -
Corporations will need that (they have good reasons, like enforcing exchange provision).

Other users should have the full control at least unlockable.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Do you think there is a "write once" hardware flag to implement this warranty void?
i think this is an important question. Can they tell if someone was using an unsigned kernal and reflashed back to stock build?
is the warranty only void if it's bricked with an unsigned kernal etc. hopefully there will be more light shed about this soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
There is now an open mode kernel for Harmattan

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
There is now an open mode kernel for Harmattan
So... This is good news? Are we gonna get what we want

More comments needed here...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

Tags
locked boot, neutered, trecherous