Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
So true! Here are some things that Windows Phail 7 lacks:
  • support for multicore processors
  • Choice of screen resolutions
  • removable microSD card
  • NFC radios
  • "contactless payments"
  • capability to be carrier-branded and controlled
  • share capabilities ... accross multiple platforms (surely not Linux, right?)
  • Allow developers to reuse desktop applications code.
  • Dropping Zune and back to ActiveSync.
  • Integration with MS version of DropBox, Skydrive
  • Skype integration
  • basic camera interface (API?)
  • tracking of data usage
  • attempt to give Wi-Fi connections precedence
  • planned use of a proxy server to feed pages to Internet Explorer 10 (BigBrother?)
  • BitLocker encryption

Still not Qt integration. Still no Python port. Yawn.
So... Harmattan supports multiple cores, has great Skype integration plus video calls, full NFC (swp inclusive) implementation?

I could go deeper, but let's put it this way. Harmattan is a version 1 rewrite/release that will probably not get any updated due to Nokia's CEO. WP7 is a version 1 rewrite/release that will get updates due to Microsoft's CEO - and Nokia. Too bad Harmattan will not get the chance it needs to mature.

The rest of your argument - Qt, et al - how many Qt devs are there out there versus Java, C/C++ and even Visual Studio developers?

Seriously.

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Nice to see another Ashens fan here If you haven't already I would recommend seeing the Pandora review.

Anyhoo, back on topic
one of those Bllamers too, are you ?
¦-)))))))))))

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Romania
maybe u have to think at the problem less deeply, and just see that nokia lost the train.
as long as the other devices, and after android got a lot of updates, programs, games, nokia did not do anything. for about 2 years no other great devices, or something else. they waited too much with this WP thing, but, probably, if they stay can wait enough, and prove themself as serious, with a lot of support for the devices they sell ( not as for n900 ), probably they will manage to take some of the market.

from my point of view is just a matter of timing and os maturity. wp is at the begining, did not proved that deserved to be bought, but, at least theorethically would have a great pothential, which is not demonstrated yet.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I could go deeper, but let's put it this way. Harmattan is a version 1 rewrite/release that will probably not get any updated due to Nokia's CEO. WP7 is a version 1 rewrite/release that will get updates due to Microsoft's CEO - and Nokia. Too bad Harmattan will not get the chance it needs to mature.
Harmattan is a thin layer over linux, linux has probably best support for hardware and it is very good at running om multicore processors.

The rest of your argument - Qt, et al - how many Qt devs are there out there versus Java, C/C++ and even Visual Studio developers?
How many good applications is out that is done i java? Is +90% of the best applications done in C++?

Placing applications that is done by people that is learning to program and call those "one more app" isn't what customers want, they want good apps.

Originally Posted by ioncelmare View Post
maybe u have to think at the problem less deeply, and just see that nokia lost the train.
That is not the problem, the problem is that they av put all apples in one basket. Doing that they are also making current customers angry.

Customers will leave Nokia because Nokia didn't care about its customers

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
nokia will be die

but maemo will live forever, i hope someday another company will bring us back maemo with more capable hardware, dualcore maemo5 with multitouch and 1gb of ram, nokia is never care about their customer, left them behind, what a stupid CEO and principal of a 'big' company, lol

Can we change the title of.this thread yet? I posted the actual text and it is obvious he is.saying nokia needs to do a better job in general with retail, and.i think they will. It doesnt take much to seduce sales lackeys...

anyway, the point is, i am going to bat here Mr elop, some recompense please. pM me.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
You should educate yourself better. Vertu is a small cliche product and sales are counted probably in hundreds instead of billion as it is with nokias dumbphones. Somewhat describing results from WP sales are out in Q3/12, not a day earlier. And strategy changes alltogether show visible results in ~2 years (ahem iPhone)

Vertu has insanely large profit margins given that they barely spend anything on the device development - apart from the materials, I'd bet you that most of their operating costs are on marketing - they just take a vanilla Nokia, encrust it with diamonds, rubies, sapphires, gold, platinum, expensive leather... and sell it to a rich sheik or televangelist inflated for like 500% the production price.

Yes, the market for such devices is small, but the profit compared to what goes into making it is immensely large, thus bringing the question - why would you want to sell such a cash cow? Yes, it doesn't produce as much cash as the others, but it's entirely self-sustaining and at the end of the year adds what they've collected to the company's till.

Never mind that they would probably be able to sell to some of their competitors at quite a low price because of its deep ties with Nokia.

I'm not quite sure what you people expected. You're celebrating the further decline of Nokia based on their decision to support WP7... we knew it wasn't going to sell even if you did slap on a Nokia label on it. WP7 ain't selling anywhere.

And some people think it's failing because it's great...

This goes into the same bin as "the world hates USofA because of our democracy."

And even if so - karma's a biach! The way the market and consumers are ignoring them is well deserved. Too bad that due to the Elop's loony decision, they'll drag Nokia down with them. Not that Nokia didn't deserve a nice slap, too...

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
Symbian is taken care of by Accenture now and has @ least two (major) releases (Carla & Donna) already on the works (Carla will require 1GHz CPU & Donna will support dual-core)

Carla won't require 1GHz, it's a minor update to Belle just as Anna was a minor update to the vanilla S^3. There are bug reports for Carla on E7 in the Nokia's dev list...

Originally Posted by abubakar View Post
Maybe he somehow just believes that when in trouble, instead of innovating one should just sell himself to others. This is what they did with macromedia, which probably worked out good for them, but that is not the way for all companies.

Macromedia was not in trouble at all. They were actually cutting into Adobe's turf at the point of sale, and their assets provided Adobe with a lot of profit since then. Flash, however, suffered immensely in the process, but that's a whole other story...

Compared to Java and general C/C++, far less of course. But as it is now, I'd bet you that there are more Qt devs than Silverlight and XNA (or the ones willing work with the shaved XNA that is in WP) devs. After all, there are far more Java and C/C++ devs than C# devs even if you go with a general .NET.

Not to mention that even if Microsoft allows for native execution in WP8, I'd bet you that you'll have to use .NET-based wrappers and some WP-only APIs, thus effectively having the same restrictions as in the WP7, but with a code that can execute faster.

Last edited by zwer; 2012-02-03 at 04:17.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by gosh View Post
Harmattan is a thin layer over linux, linux has probably best support for hardware and it is very good at running om multicore processors.
Until the UI/UX and other bits outside of the kernel has threading and is implemented on a real multiple-core piece of hardware, that's speculation based on the kernel. At the kernel level, iOS supports threaded and multiple cores - took until now for it to do so.

Proof is in the hardware. OMAP3 isn't helping that.

How many good applications is out that is done i java? Is +90% of the best applications done in C++?
Who said "good"? Because at this pace, the amount of good applications and developers in Qt are considerably lesser.

Placing applications that is done by people that is learning to program and call those "one more app" isn't what customers want, they want good apps.
Then where's the good apps on Harmattan? I have most of them. It's a lot less than my WP7, Android and WebOS devices.

Considerably less. "Good" is an opinion. I was talking solely about the amount of developers per platform. Qt is in the minority.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
But as it is now, I'd bet you that there are more Qt devs than Silverlight and XNA (or the ones willing work with the shaved XNA that is in WP) devs. After all, there are far more Java and C/C++ devs than C# devs even if you go with a general .NET.
Be careful with that one. XNA devs also dev XBOX Live games - that's quite a bit of people. And via Mono.XNA (or whatever it's called, forgot) that covers iOS as well.

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows