My wife bought a Nokia N9 (64 GB Dcim), In system resources it says it has a total ***985 MB of system memory*** the strange thing is after booting up there is only 40 MB free system memory. So after installing a few programs and having backgrounds processes running it will sudenly run out of program memory.

And then It is impossible to even install and uninstall application, the only thing todo is a reset erasing everything and start all over..... again and again.

So i wonder how much memory space should a clean Marhattan occupy on the Nokias system memory, this must be something wrong should there not be at least half system memory free after booting up??????????

Best regards Jonas T (mail me jonas.thornvall@hotmail.com)

I don't get what your problem is, are you saying that your wife's phone

- cannot have any more apps installed
- cannot have any apps deinstalled
- runs out of memory, and then become unusable/useless?

Considering I've had several multi-MB pdfs (which will take 100s of MBs when rendered) open plus plenty of apps, I guess the system itself shouldn't use more than a few 10s of MB... didn't check yet.

On a side note, any good linux system will 'soon' have all RAM used, this is nothing to worry about (empty RAM costs as much current/power but is not useful).

The Following User Says Thank You to aRTee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aRTee View Post

Considering I've had several multi-MB pdfs (which will take 100s of MBs when rendered) open plus plenty of apps, I guess the system itself shouldn't use more than a few 10s of MB... didn't check yet.

On a side note, any good linux system will 'soon' have all RAM used, this is nothing to worry about (empty RAM costs as much current/power but is not useful).
What happens after installing a few apps.
- No more apps can be installed, memory full
-Apps can not be uninstalled memory full.

-Although installed apps run.

In system rescourses it said 985 MB (sys memory) 40 MB (free sys memory)

Now that could be because a memory manager reserve memory space for programs, but that would be a weird way to report usage of rescourses.

I got the feeling though that the memory actually in use of Harmattan not by any memory manager. That leaves 40 MB + swapspace to run programs. Of course a LInux system could easily fill a 300 MB of system space but 900 MB seem implausibe unless something terribly wrong with either the system memory report or the system itself.

If it is a problem with the memory report, what other program to use, of course one must be able to see how much free memory there is to run programs in system memory space, there should at least be 50 percent unless there is something terribly wrong with the system.

My wife installed a big app GT racing over 316 MB but i can not imagine everything be preloaded with the bin into memory or?

Basicly my problem is why does the Nokia N9 run out of memory to install and uninstall applications. I mean none running apps can not be loaded into memory. Of course there could be background services loaded by apps that you install.

So is there a way to review running services/processes and the memory usage of them, in development mode?

It would also be nice if someone produced a list of what the default services/processes loaded when starting the N9 are, that way you could figure out what is going wrong with your N9 and kill any problematic process/service.

Best regards Jonas

Last edited by JonasHarmattan; 2012-02-21 at 12:49.

Originally Posted by aRTee View Post

One other thing i find quite strange is that Windows 7 report 53 GB of total phone memory????????

What happened to 64 GB, any other have this problem????????

Jonas

Windows phone memory: the 64GB are partitioned, only (off the top of my head) 57 (disk!) GB are FAT32 available via USB, so 53 is about right.

As for the system memory, I guess that is RAM?
You could try on the command line /terminal app:
free
to see what the status is. the command top will show cpu and mem use, and df will show how much of the various partitions is in use.
Killing processes is easy using the command kill on regular linux, on N9 I haven't used or needed it.

The N9 behaviour you describe is very aberrant to say the least...

You must be mistaking RAM for storage space.

You can have 10MB RAM free and the phone would still be lag free, the system uses it to cache things. I haven't heard someone not being able to install an app because there's no free RAM.

Originally Posted by Vaterix View Post
You must be mistaking RAM for storage space.

You can have 10MB RAM free and the phone would still be lag free, the system uses it to cache things. I haven't heard someone not being able to install an app because there's no free RAM.
Although i have very little knowledge about Meego and N9, i would say that the 64 GB DCIM is storage space but could possibly be used as swap space. There must be dedicated faster RAM to run system and programs and i thought that was what system memory meant in the RESCOURCES app. So my guess is that the N9 have 1 GB dedicated system RAM

What i do not get is how only 40 MB can be free after system loads my guess would be a memory manager of sort handling the memory for programs loading.

But is so there would be no problem install/uninstall because the memory manager handles that. But it does not seem to be the case since you can run out of memory in phone.

Jonas

The N9 doesn't use any storage for swap. It uses compcache to reserve some compressible system memory as swap space.

Originally Posted by JonasHarmattan View Post
What i do not get is how only 40 MB can be free after system loads my guess would be a memory manager of sort handling the memory for programs loading.

But is so there would be no problem install/uninstall because the memory manager handles that. But it does not seem to be the case since you can run out of memory in phone.

Jonas
If you had hundreds of megs or ram free all the time, that would mean your OS is not using its resources in the best way possible, thus having few MB of free RAM doesn't mean anything bad, it actually is a good thing.

Now, the problem you have with install/uninstall is totally not related to RAM and system memory and whatnot, it's either the OS itself got a problem with that for some reason, or you not doing it right.

What is the message you receive when installing and uninstalling an app?