Notices

Originally Posted by upp View Post
First of all thank you for the response..
But that's way to technical for me as I don't know what .CSV file is and how to export them etc...
Steps on how to would be appreciated please!
1. Go to Google Finance, log into your account.
2. Click 'Portfolio' on the left column, a list of your portfolios appears immediately below the 'Portfolio' label.
3. Pick the portfolio you want to export and click it. The right side shows the symbols/transactions you have in that portfolio. Just above the symbols/transactions there are several options, e.g. 'Import transactions | Edit transactions...', click the one labeled 'Download to spreadsheet' and save the resulting csv file(s) to your computer.
4. Copy the csv file(s) to your N9's MyDocs folder.
5. Launch Stockona, click menu button on toolbar and click 'Select Portfolio.' Click the menu button again when you are in the portfolio page, choose 'Import Portfolio'
6. If all go well, you will see a list of csv files(s). Click one of them to import into Stockona.

Ok I admit this is rather complicated.... if you don't have too many symbols in your portfolio, maybe creating your portfolios from scratch within the app is faster.

Stockona for SailfishOS preview edition is almost complete! Still a few rough spots but the app is working well in the emulator.

Screenshots will be posted in the coming weeks, if anyone happen to have a device to test on, pm me

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Continue the previews

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
A small update has been submitted to Nokia Store QA. It uses the new icon designed for SailfishOS version. And some minor bug fixes and tweaks to UI; I doubt anyone would find them!

Some of you might know that after Jan 2014 Nokia Store will no longer accept updates to Harmattan/Symbian apps. My plan is therefore to put the Harmattan version into maintenance mode afterwards. Updates, if any, will be available here as a deb file. But I strongly encourage you migrate to Jolla if possible . Sailfish version is like Stockona V2 with a nice new feature (TBA) and cleaner UX/codes in general.

How can I enter a sell transaction?

What I tried:
  • tap menu button, bottom-right
  • "Select Portfolio"
  • tap "pencil and paper" button to go to edit mode
  • tap portfolio where I want to enter transaction
  • tap stock position where I want to enter transaction
  • tap + button
Now all I can enter here are shares, price, commission. There is no selector for buy/sell and it always defaults to Buy@, even if I enter a negative share amount.

Any ideas?

PS: I saw a while back there was a Youtube link posted showing how to enter transactions. I'm in China currently and YT is blocked here. Please give a verbal description. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to mämo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mämo View Post
How can I enter a sell transaction?

What I tried:
  • tap menu button, bottom-right
  • "Select Portfolio"
  • tap "pencil and paper" button to go to edit mode
  • tap portfolio where I want to enter transaction
  • tap stock position where I want to enter transaction
  • tap + button
Now all I can enter here are shares, price, commission. There is no selector for buy/sell and it always defaults to Buy@, even if I enter a negative share amount.

Any ideas?

PS: I saw a while back there was a Youtube link posted showing how to enter transactions. I'm in China currently and YT is blocked here. Please give a verbal description. Thanks!
Sell transaction is currently not supported. Actually, the feature is partially implemented but I wasn't quite sure the use case so I didn't complete it. I will look into this, but I need your help explaining to me the use case. Specifically, do I need to include realized gain when calculating the performance of a position?

Let's say you have 3 buy transactions for NOK, from earlier to latter:
1. 10 shares; cost $3
2. 10 shares; cost $5
3. 10 shares; cost $2
So you NOK position is 30 shares with total cost $100.
Assuming NOK price is currently $7 then the market value is $210 so the unrealized gain is $110.

When you sell all or nothing for each buy transaction the realized gain is easily calculated. But partial sell the realized gain is more complex. So if I can get away with only calculating the unrealized gain then I can get this feature done pretty fast.

For realized gain... as an example let's say you sell 15 shares at $7, the realized gain depends on which slot of shares you sell. I know usually people do FIFO (first-in-first-out) so looks like a date field is needed in order to figure out the ordering. Assuming FIFO, the sell results in 15*7 - (10*3) - (5*5) = $50 gain, right?
After the sell the position becomes:
1. 5 shares; cost $5
2. 10 shares; cost $2

So the position performance becomes:
Share: 20
Cost: $45

Gain: Realized gain + Unrealized gain = $50 + (market value - cost) = $50 + (20*7 - 45) = $145

or

Gain: Unrealized gain = (20*7 - 45) = $95?

Last edited by sony123; 2013-10-31 at 08:19.

Thanks for the quick response. Little correction in your math: remaining shares in your example are 15, not 20. But that doesn't affect your question.

Yes, FIFO is what tax authority uses for capital gains back home, so that would be the way to go, IMO. I'd be happy for a little mobile app like Stockona to show unrealized gain for an existing portfolio. If you want to get fancy, track and display realized gain/loss separately. I wouldn't mingle them together. A good reason is, again, taxes. I pay capital gains tax on realized gain, not on unrealized.

Originally Posted by mämo View Post
Thanks for the quick response. Little correction in your math: remaining shares in your example are 15, not 20. But that doesn't affect your question.

Yes, FIFO is what tax authority uses for capital gains back home, so that would be the way to go, IMO. I'd be happy for a little mobile app like Stockona to show unrealized gain for an existing portfolio. If you want to get fancy, track and display realized gain/loss separately. I wouldn't mingle them together. A good reason is, again, taxes. I pay capital gains tax on realized gain, not on unrealized.
I will just calculated unrealized gain then in the next release and enable transaction type. No ETA though, since Sailfish takes priority now :>