Hello! I hope that I'm not duplicating a thread or that I missed a thread that addresses my situation, but I was wondering if anyone has noticed a similar issue, has a fix for what I'm encountering, or can tell me I'm an idiot. (Preferably with good reason ) I'd been hoping to find the "Idle Consumption" thread that's referenced a few times, but it looks like it's gone or something.

I got an N9 almost a week ago, and I've been playing around on it without a micro SIM card (it's due to arrive next week). So I've been trying out different apps and seeing what might be useful. But I noticed that on low usage in Airplane Mode with WiFi and Bluetooth off and no 3G connectivity (naturally), that my battery's only really lasting about 30 hours per charge.

I sync mail once a day in the morning (first smartphone) and turn the WiFi off immediately. Aside from that, though, I haven't browsed the web or anything that, from what I know, should be power-intensive. I've got the display set at 20% brightness and the device constantly in battery saver mode from the get go. I've turned off all the vibrations, too, since I'm OK without haptic feedback. But the estimated standby time in both Battery Usage and in Settings is at least 3 days, which I haven't gotten close to yet - I only really unlock the phone to pop Battery Usage open once in a while (every 1.5-2 hours, so far, maybe?) I do have lpsmagic up, but I don't think it'd eat it up that much power.

Am I doing something wrong with my settings? Do I have unrealistic expectations of a smartphone? Or something else altogether?

Thanks!

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
in the terminal type in top, see if smartsearch is on top or consistently popping up...

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by chaohuei View Post
Hello! I hope that I'm not duplicating a thread or that I missed a thread that addresses my situation, but I was wondering if anyone has noticed a similar issue, has a fix for what I'm encountering, or can tell me I'm an idiot.
There was an amazing thread which covered all battery drain issues, & everything people had tried/observed.
Alas there was a DB corruption issue and it was lost. AFAIK this has since become the de-facto replacement:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82128
So yes, you kind of are duplicating, try having a skim-read, & then posting there first.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-02-17 at 08:17.

Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
You may be afected by the "Meegotouchhome bug" which drains the battery when idle.

To avoid that, just move an icon in the app. view at every reboot.

@ Jalyst, the thread you mention talks about something very specific, maybe we could change the title to enlarge the scope.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
jalyst, I actually did read that one first; it was the first thread that showed up in my search. But I didn't think it was similar enough a problem to merit posting in; it seems to address a specific problem rather than being a general battery life thread.

In my case, it's a steady but rather quick drain (3%/hour) rather than a massive drop in the stated battery life. And I don't do short charges. I think I've recharged four times in the six days that I've had this phone, and the amount of battery life I've gotten has been pretty consistent. According to Battery Usage, my idle average consumption is around 40 mA with an active average of around 159 mA, which doesn't look to be close to what the people in the thread you mentioned had experienced. The only time it seems to drop more quickly is when I hop onto WiFi for... maybe 30 seconds or so.

Arie, I don't see SmartSearch in the "top" results at all. Is it something that ought to be showing up? I'm on PR 1.1, but a lot of the search results I've seen about SmartSearch seem to be from pre-1.1 days. I did do a reset a couple of days ago because I didn't like how I tweaked the phone at one point, but I'd imagine that any indexing would've finished by now.

Jordi, I tried moving an app's icon. Is there was a way to verify that it's the bug aside from the try-it-out-and-see-what-happens thing?

Edit: Talk about a stupid question. My idle average consumption's was at 3 mA about 1.5 hours ago (it's around 10 mA now), so there's definitely some significant improvement after moving one icon around. This is what I get for posting right after getting up, I guess.

I guess my question about the estimated idle usage time still stands, though. It seems to be either an extremely conservative estimate or a complete miscalculation. When I was at something like 29% charge early this morning, Battery Usage and the system were estimating 3+ days of idle usage time left, which, given the idle consumption of 30+ mA at the time, wouldn't have made much sense. I'm at 8+ days of estimated idle usage time now with an average idle consumption of 11 mA, which still seems kinda high. Is there some factor I'm not taking into account?

Last edited by chaohuei; 2012-02-17 at 14:52.

Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
When the Meegotouchhome bug is present, this process use between 2-5% of CPU usage ("top" in terminal).

This is not the case anymore once you have moved an icon.

It's a great loss to have lost the thread that dealt with idle consumption issue. Fortunately, we still have as a reference the Nokia Bugzilla DB related to the Meegotouchhome bug:
http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=486

so... an avg idle consumption (according to Battery Usage app) of 292mA would be bad, right? @_@

edit: i imagine there could be a reason teh results may be skewed.. do i have to have Battery Usage running 24/7 ? I had read somewhere that it actually drains your battery.. or uses a lot of resources even after being closed or something of the like.

to clarify, as my battery was low I did a reset via the Reset app and then started charging at 29% battery life.. now at 79%.

-I dont' use twitter or facebook
-I have two emails setup as "Other": Gmail and Yahoo. I deleted the "nokia-free" thing at the beginning of the yahoo configuration
-I do not have the resource monitor app yet.. will get it soon
-I keep my screen brightness at the 2nd lowest setting
-I have only a few RSS Feeds that post to my Event View, and they are set for updates every 3 hours.
-I don't see an option for how often my email should refresh.. is that only for mFe? seems like I manually refresh with send/receive most of the time..which is not often (non critical email accounts with not much traffic atm)
-I am always signed into Skype and Google
-I play a bit of angry birds now and then.. i realize this could be a big thing, but Battery Usage says Device Idle and Meego System are the big worries.. usually.

-my settings have changed a bit today...so that could also skew things.

Last edited by original_z; 2012-02-23 at 23:18.

Yes it is.
Mine runs at 3 mAh and the idle problem is fixed since I let it to drain the battery until it dies, then I charged it to 100%, then I turned it on and since then idle consumption/battery drain is perfect.

Moving SIM icon on desktop is cool to.

Originally Posted by ENNINE View Post
Yes it is.
Mine runs at 3 mAh and the idle problem is fixed since I let it to drain the battery until it dies, then I charged it to 100%, then I turned it on and since then idle consumption/battery drain is perfect.

Moving SIM icon on desktop is cool to.
Yeah fully draining the battery and charging fixed it for me!

should actually do that periodically for any Li-ion battery powered device :|