Originally Posted by b0unc3 View Post
What was decided about 'porting' , it is included in the 'updating' category, or it was cut off?
Hey b0unc3, we're all about bringing applications to the Maemo/MeeGo Harmattan platform so ports are welcome. The current rule in the wiki is:

Ported applications are welcome, however only the work of porting will be considered (unless the original program is from the same developer and was developed or extended within the competition timeframe). These entries should include a description of work done during the porting process to enable the application to run on the Maemo/MeeGo Harmattan platform.
Ports will be considered as development work on existing applications for judging and therefore fit under the "Updates.." category.

Edit: Oh it's just turned Monday 11th June, we're open for business... cue fireworks!

All - please keep a eye out for new announce threads in the 'Applications' forum section and gently remind them about the competition if you can Also I've added a 'Participants' section to the wiki - it's so folks can add their entry details there while the submissions site is getting ready, it will help us keep track of them in the meantime. Working titles for applications are fine, the details entered aren't binding and can always be updated later

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-06-10 at 23:40.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Yepee ! But now I have to find a name...

The Following User Says Thank You to Tofe For This Useful Post:
The submission site report wrong info, like outdated banner,links etc. Someone could fix it (maybe zehjotkah ? )

The Following User Says Thank You to b0unc3 For This Useful Post:
The submission site report wrong info, like outdated banner,links etc. Someone could fix it (maybe zehjotkah ? )
Thanks b0unc3, don't worry we're aware of that zehjotkah's working on it

Actually we mention that the submission site is still to be updated in the wiki:

Originally Posted by http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_coding_competition_2012#How_to_Submit_an _Application
How to Submit an Application
(NB: The submission site will become live later in the contest, in the meantime please register your participation http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_codi...2#Participants)

To enter, you'll submit your application via the competition submission page. The entry page is currently being prepared and will become available later at http://competition.meetmeego.org/.
And as mentioned here, the reason for adding the 'Participation' section is to track entries in the meantime before they can be submitted through the submission site.

Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Also I've added a 'Participants' section to the wiki - it's so folks can add their entry details there while the submissions site is getting ready, it will help us keep track of them in the meantime. Working titles for applications are fine, the details entered aren't binding and can always be updated later
I think I'm going to remove the submission site url from the wiki competely until it's ready in case it confuses anyone

Edit: on second thoughts, it might be useful for new entrants to see the old page for a better understanding of the submission process so I've kept the link in but tried to make it clearer that it is still being updated for 2012. Could someone take a glance over the wiki and let me know if it's still not clear? Thanks!

Here's the relevent parts

http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_Codi...an_Application
(NB: The submission site will become live later in the contest, in the meantime please register your participation http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_codi...2#Participants)

To enter, you'll submit your application via the competition submission page. This site is currently being prepared and will become available later, however you can view the old 2011 competition site at http://competition.meetmeego.org/.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_Codi...application.3F
There will be an application submission page available and this will be the only valid way to participate in the competition. The submission page for the 2012 competition is still being completed, but you may view the 2011 site here. The 2012 site will be similar.
I'll update the wiki again once the new site is ready

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-06-11 at 15:04.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Yes, agree, the old entries should be visibile all the time, also during the competition period. A link to MCC11 on the submission site should be enough.
Anyway, there are any info about the voting process, is it "ready" (in order to didn't get issues as for the last year) ?

The Following User Says Thank You to b0unc3 For This Useful Post:
Yes, agree, the old entries should be visibile all the time, also during the competition period. A link to MCC11 on the submission site should be enough.
Anyway, there are any info about the voting process, is it "ready" (in order to didn't get issues as for the last year) ?
In regards to voting, I think we learned a lot of lessons from last year's competition in regards to what we need to do for the vote. As the categories were only finalised at the end of last week there hasn't been much preparation for the vote done. Also, as we don't have a final list of entrants obviously we can't get everything "ready" today. But we're almost 3 months away from voting, so there's no panic just yet You'll hopefully not hear too much about it as we'll work behind the scenes to get the administration for the vote setup, but we'll keep everyone updated as we go along. I notice the process for counting the votes is already up on the wiki, so once everything is ready expect a voting procedure similar to last time when maemo.org members will choose their champions

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-06-11 at 15:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Is it possible to apply to the competition, but not for the devices prices ? i ve already a n950.

So would like to compet but no need for an other device, i let them to other devel.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Is it possible to apply to the competition, but not for the devices prices ? i ve already a n950.

So would like to compet but no need for an other device, i let them to other devel.
Hi Khertan, it's nice to see you back again in the competition

Sure, if you win you could choose a N9 (as you already have a N950) or you can forfeit/nominate your winning prize to the next best placed app developer whilst still retaining your kudos as category winner

For example, if your Battle.net authenticator app came top we'd shift the prizes down one place, awarding a device to places 2-5 instead of 1-4. Similar if it came in 2nd, 3rd, etc etc.

BTW are you happy with your category as "Desktop, System & Utilities"? My first instinct was 'Gaming..' however it's a utility also.. but a utility for Battle.net gaming service :P It's one of those apps that falls into both categories, I think you could choose either one if you wanted

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
BTW are you happy with your category as "Desktop, System & Utilities"? My first instinct was 'Gaming..' however it's a utility also.. but a utility for Battle.net gaming service :P It's one of those apps that falls into both categories, I think you could choose either one if you wanted
If it creates network connection to backend then the obvious place if of course "Network and Communications" -category ;-)

Is it council or who makes the final decisions on category app belongs to before voting starts, so developers can't just wiggle apps to low entry category?
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2012-06-12 at 14:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Hihi ... it s a security tool ... so in category system ... but it s for a game ... so in category game ... but hey ! it s a tool for authenticate connection, so in networking category !

Yep, i don't know where to put it
In fact i apply for the fun of a competition, not for the prize, i didn't need an n9, so i ll forfeit for the next one

I didn't think anyway that a such apps while have a great success, but hem, it s usefull for me, so i polish it and release it

Hi Khertan, it's nice to see you back again in the competition
Thx.

ps : took me two hours to code, three to design the icon, two hours for packaging (there was error in PyPackager which are now fixed and released), 1 day for publishing it in apps.formeego.com, and probably more 6 days for Nokia Store QA

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas