Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by iliaden View Post
1 - either NO cellular network, or at least the ability to COMPLETELY turn it off - I have a cell phone that is smaller and built for this function. I don't want to waste battery life on this.
I'm assuming you're assuming that all future tablets will come with WiMAX? I hope not, too.

2 - FULL BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY to all 3 previous OS: 2006, 2007 and 2008. No software will need to be rewritten, thus keeping all the programs we are used to.
This is just silly.

3 - option to lock only the screen, not the keys - maybe an OS option, but mandatory, if you ask me.
We already have this.

5 - unless it triples the price, a camera zoom. otherwise, keep the device at a relatively low price <500$
Bad idea for three reasons: cost, size, and the intended use of the camera (webcam).

6 - a video chipset (looking on the Dell x51v and HP Hw4700)
We already have this (just need drivers).

8 - IF there is a screen update to a higher resolution - about 800 Mhz.
Screens don't come in megahertz.

9 - extended ability to extend ram to the flash card (1Gb Ram from my flash card would look good)
We already have this.

10 - USB HOST 2.0
We already have this.

12 - extended USB capacity :
a) when connected to a desktop - being able to reach the internal memory
b) when connected to a desktop - being able to access the desktop from the internet tablet
More complicated than it sounds.

c) capacity to connect to the internet via USB - for those of us who are stealing our neighbor's connections
We already have this.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
You can capture video with the N800.

1 - either NO cellular network, or at least the ability to COMPLETELY turn it off - I have a cell phone that is smaller and built for this function. I don't want to waste battery life on this.

2 - FULL BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY to all 3 previous OS: 2006, 2007 and 2008. No software will need to be rewritten, thus keeping all the programs we are used to.

3 - option to lock only the screen, not the keys - maybe an OS
option, but mandatory, if you ask me.

4 - video capture - no explanation needed.

5 - unless it triples the price, a camera zoom. otherwise, keep the device at a relatively low price <
500$

6 - a video chipset (looking on the Dell x51v and HP Hw4700)

7 - maybe more CPU - 624 Mhz processor seems more than enough for mobile devices.

8 - IF there is a screen update to a higher resolution - about 800 Mhz.

9 - extended ability to extend ram to the flash card (1Gb Ram from my flash card would look good)

10 - USB HOST 2.0

11 - Video output - through an adapter cable since there is no place on the device to add a jack.

12 - extended USB capacity :
a) when connected to a desktop - being able to reach the internal memory
b) when connected to a desktop - being able to access the desktop from the internet tablet
c) capacity to connect to the internet via USB - for those of us who are stealing our neighbor's connections

13 - for the audio output - a capacity to boost it beyound 100% (it MAY already exist... but I wasn't able to find it in the past 2 month

14 - neat, yet pointless features:
a) multi-touch screen
b) wireless charging
c) dynamic screen orientation
d) infrared
they add to the device's price, make it a bit more elegant, yet are not needed for good functionnality. they should NOT be included in order to keep the price low.

15 - better drivers (ex: bluetooth keyboard does not support the number pad on the right

16 - of course: DO NOT MAKE IT LARGER
one of the nicest features is its small size, useful for anytime uses, not like a laptop!
hahahahah 800mhz screen... hahahahahahah wow

okay sorry for making fun of you i couldnt resist

anyway yeah - what it needs:
a SIM Card slot - YES make it a phone. (this is going to spark mad contro i know)

howbout a good camera (They're not that hard to do anymore) - my friend's LG Venus camera is excellent - comparable to my old Olympus 3MP.

Howbout some hardware acceleration for 3d rendering (yes, gaming), maybe im being unrealistic but thatd be great...

Howbout an IMAP 3420 or something powerful - i dont want any lag from runnign flash...sohuldnt take up THAT much batttery, should it?

The screen is fine as it is i think, but iguess 1024x640 would be cool, but i think u'd hafta make it bigger (which is a step back, i think). OH make it at least 262k colors - its not that noticeable but on paper it looks a lot better when comparing to a Creative, Archos, or Cowon.

Keep the dual SDHC from the N800 - THOSE ARE GOLD (seriously, MicroSD is bulls*** and was a BAD idea with the N810 - its not like the N810 is too small to fit SD's at all, so why limit it to 8GB? stupid idea on their part). In the N900, howbout triple or quad SDHC? (16 or 32GBx3 or 4 )

GPS. Yes, try to make it as non-crappy as possible.

oh and howbout batteries that dont require a freakin pocket knife to take out - and make an external (but subtle) extended-life battery pack that just looks like a thick battery cover, but is actually a really long lasting battery (its been done on other devices)

512MB RAM - yes, on a handheld, i know that thats a lot, but if u want it to remain considered "fast" for the next 3+ years, they better up the ante - at least to 256mb

as far as integrated disk space, i dont care, the 256mb is fine and its not like anybody really uses it, and its not like u cant use the SD, so w/e

howbout a full-sized USB in?

voice recognition (thats currently underway on OS2008 i know but i want it fully integrated and official)

keep the keyboard from N810 - its not that great but its THERE and makes it THAT much more functional
thats just about it

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Actually, the more I think about the Modu concept, the more I like it.

1 Module for WWAN (as I outlined in a previous post, with WWAN modules, and storage/battery modules)

1 Module for the "brain" (CPU, OS firmware, RAM, maybe the primary user storage on microSDHC, maybe small rechargeable battery)

And then shells that have 1 slot for each of those modules... plus optional extras (display variations, keyboard or not, card slots, extended battery, picture camera, chat camera, PMP features, etc.).

So, you could take your WWAN module and use it various phone shells, or NIT type shells (or laptops, or even PCs). And the same with the CPU module (could be used in a NIT, a laptop, a PC, or just as a thumb-drive type replacement).

As long as they all use the same interfaces, you'd have 3 product lines (wwan modules, cpu modules, shells), instead of a huge matrix of product lines (cpu+wimax+keyboard, cpu+gsm+keyboard, cpu+evdo+keyboard, cpu+wimax-keyboard, cpu+gsm-keyboard, cpu+evdo-keyboard, cpu-wwan-keyboard, cpu-wwan+keyboard, etc.). And when it came time to upgrade, you could just upgrade the pieces that make sense to you. So, if you like the shell you're using, and the wwan, but a new faster CPU comes out, then you can upgrade just the cpu module.

I don't know that Nokia would go down this path, but I think that's a "realistic wish" for the future. (where realistic means "realizable" not "probable")

Modules suck. I prefer durability and lower price over modularity any day.

Slots add space and cost.

The OMAP3430 allows for 3D acceleration. That's not saying that 3D programs will be great, but 2D games and such will see a performance boost.

As for iPhone-esque functionality, the multi-touch is overrated and the lack of buttons is a pisser.

I'd be fine with an N810 with boosted specs and a better keyboard design.
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
What do they gain by keeping binary incompatibility (if they had it)? I really don't see anything.
This is a "true linux". "Binary incompatibilities" are due to different library versions.

The Following User Says Thank You to Navi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Modulok View Post
Originally Posted by me
Debian is going to ARM eabi too now, big ships just turn slower. We'll have binary compatibility again AFAICT (I don't see that as particularly important myself, but still...).
This is absolutely not probable (hint: Nokia is a company).

If you think deeper you perhaps realise that what is good for the community is also good for you.
Huh? Binary incompatibility was lost because maemo started using eabi. Now Debian eabi is gathering steam, so Debian binaries will again be usable. Like I said, I don't find that particularly interesting myself (I bet the recent OpenEmbedded work is much more useful), but the compatibility will be there.

Can you please explain what you mean in writing? I'm really bad at understanding handwaving (I was particularly lost with the "good of the community" part)

The Following User Says Thank You to jussik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
Modules suck. I prefer durability and lower price over modularity any day.
Slots add space and cost.
For a device of this class, I totally agree. Some things should be separate modules, at least for some devices (e.g. GPS for N800), but BT connection is a good way of dealing with many such things.

The OMAP3430 allows for 3D acceleration. That's not saying that 3D programs will be great, but 2D games and such will see a performance boost.

As for iPhone-esque functionality, the multi-touch is overrated and the lack of buttons is a pisser.
Overrated, yes, but it'd still be nice. Buttons FTW, though! Buttons are mandatory.

This is a "true linux". "Binary incompatibilities" are due to different library versions.
Perhaps that's what Modulok meant, but if the libraries are binary compatible, just not all installed/available from default repos, I'd consider it a binary compatible system...

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
- symmetrical and no flat keyboard (look at Nokia E61!)
- pad and extra keys should be next to the display
- same size as N810
- rubber surface at the backside so the device isn't slippery (look at HTC-Touch)
- 10hz GPS
- Yaw sensor for trackday recording
- VGA cam for video calls (this is enough, more pixels will be always a toy on this small device)
- 800x480 is nice and enough if I travel around (read below)
- 6xx Mhz or even better a Menlow CPU to be x86 compatible with full video support for every usual videos
- maybe 3D if Nvidia ships their mobile GPUs
- USB-Host
- Keyboard and mouse support in Xorg (USB & Bluetooth)
- Mini DVI with resolutions up to 1280x1024 (including widescreen support)
- 512MB RAM, 2GB for OS
- internal Micro-SDHC and external full SDHC-Card support (swapping cards must be easy)
- of course Wifi, maybe Wimax
- no GSM, UMTS, HSDPA, this is an ITT

This should be possible in the $400 range end of 2008. The device should be act like a micro laptop if I connect a keyboard, mouse and/or external display and act like an ITT if I travel around (built in keyboard, 800x480 display, BT mouse)

So I will be use most of the time this 'N900' and don't need to sync to much with my big PC/laptop, as my bookmarks, documents, scrapbooks, mail, calendar... are already on the device.

With a x86 compatible CPU everyone can install his 'N900-distro' and have a Gnome Desktop for 800x480 resolution and every app we wish to have now (Evolution, TBird, Full Firefox or Webkit based Epiphany, OpenOffice)...

If this device really comes before xmas 2008, it will be blast every other MID, tablet, eee away - I promise!

Last edited by slha89; 2008-02-18 at 21:49.

IMHO, x86 compatibility is highly overrated (these days, with open-source software like debian being ported so widely anyway). And you hit a major point there: it's then completely software commoditized -- "everyone can install his 'N900-distro'" -- which is not something that particularly helps Nokia.
3D is available without any nVidia GPUs, if we stay with OMAP. Somewhat larger displays are possible with the 3430, though 1280x1024 output might be a problem (and is not important, anyway). If it has 1024x600 output (should be readily possible, I think), and you use that with a typical dot-pitch display, it should do anything you'd want to with a 600 MHz CPU.

And I don't see your wishlist happening for $400 by year's end. Especially keeping it size of N810, and adding stuff upon stuff upon stuff...

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
And I don't see your wishlist happening for $400 by year's end. Especially keeping it size of N810, and adding stuff upon stuff upon stuff...
What do I really adding stuff upon stuff upon stuff??

6xx Mhz is adequate now (look at HP Ipaqs), I only want to go with 10hz GPS, Yaw sensor, more memory and miniDVI because these one are really useful. And takes the N900 a bit into the professional area without touching the price to much.

These chips or external connector won't be that much higher priced as you might think.

I don't need 1024x600 when I travel, it's ok to have 800x480, but I can connect a usual DVI-Monitor. With DVI I can use VGA adpaters too for projectors. But if 1024x600 isn't too expensive, I take 1024x600

And it's even ok if this device can't do too much 3D but playing full usual video formats (for example from Canon digicams, mjpeg or VDR mpeg2).

And the rest is cosmetic (key/keyboard layout) or nearly built-in (USB Host) or is only a matter of compiling mouse support into Xorg. Even the N800 does have full SDHC

So I don't know what you really mean if I adding stuff upon stuff... I don't think so, only faster CPU, better GPS, Yaw sensor, more memory and miniDVI is new. And this isn't possible end of 2008.

Last edited by slha89; 2008-02-18 at 22:41.

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist