Active Topics

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
ste-phan, but now she's using jolla?
Not sure what you like to hear but of course it is being use for calling, like a phone, as mobile internet device for surfing new sites, communication with overseas destinations over Skype / SIP, Navigation with Here for Android, as a camera and to play one native Sailfish game.

Installed this facebook account under Sailfish out of curiousity but finally the facebook beast seemed to be easier to control via the mobile web site.

Mobile browser of choice: Firefox for Android.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I presume you're joking here.
Yah, I'm being silly. But I'm trying to make a point: there's more to life than living every single moment on the bleeding edge. You just don't need to throw away your existing computing devices and buy new ones every month or two...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Mobile browser of choice: Firefox for Android.
Opera Android works even better in my experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yah, I'm being silly. But I'm trying to make a point: there's more to life than living every single moment on the bleeding edge. You just don't need to throw away your existing computing devices and buy new ones every month or two...
indeed not, but every year or two seems far more common.

companies that persuade people to part with large sums for the devices ususally have a good explanation for why that cost is justified...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
I cannot criticise Jolla for the build quality. I've dropped mine many times and other than having a few dings, it's been a warrior. Having said that, I think you'd be crazy to spend €250 on a new one as it's slow now and certainly isn't going to be getting faster.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
I think you'd be crazy to spend €250 on a new one as it's slow now and certainly isn't going to be getting faster.
Yes, of course, you'd be crazy to buy a slow phone that you'll love when you could get a fast one that you'll hate.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
To me it is proof that Sailfish is totally "sufficiant" for daily use.
If you are not pre-influenced by A:"SpecMania", B:"Earlier Usage Paradigms" and C:"iOS & Android Fanboyism" that is.
She was a total smartphone noob and just used mobiles for banking TANs and calling. Now she is using more online services than ever and even tweets.
I just set her up all email and social media and she never complained about a thing but is bragging among her girls with a unique phone experience with nice lastu candy
Ok, i can see that being turned into "my wife is not very demanding when it comes to functionality, so a jolla is sufficiant", but maybe those functions are simply not "that" necessary to common people.
You are lucky! I was trying to provide her a Jolla to pull her away from the darkside of universe (iOS) but ends up a spare Jolla in my hand...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
I cannot criticise Jolla for the build quality. I've dropped mine many times and other than having a few dings, it's been a warrior. Having said that, I think you'd be crazy to spend €250 on a new one as it's slow now and certainly isn't going to be getting faster.
Same experience here to my surprise.

However you should not "drop it wrong"

https://together.jolla.com/question/...op-your-phone/

Opera Android works even better in my experience.
From Firefox I would be missing plug ins: Self-Destructing cookies, uBlock (adblocker)

(night) reading mode

It's lightning fast and when I see something interesting I can save it as PDF for later reference (weblinks do die)

Just having to use the Android back button is somewhat inconvenient due to its location.

Fairphone 1 or 2.

"A second path we are exploring is the possibility of replacing the Android software by alternative operating systems (Ubuntu OS/Firefox OS/Sailfish OS) in an effort to prolong the life of the device (as that software is more cost-effective to maintain)"

https://www.fairphone.com/2015/09/16...t-fairphone-1/

"The good news is that Sailfish 2.0 is ready to license to hardware vendors and OEMs, providing one path for the possibility of porting Jolla to the next Fairphone."

"If you are concerned about security on your phone, Jolla has announced a partnership with SSH Communications Security to create a “Sailfish Secure” version of their OS, a secure mobile platform. Jolla informed me that although there are no specifics to discuss yet, they are aiming to have first solutions out during 2016, which also depends on the potential end-customers.

One issue raised by our community is how open Sailfish OS really is. While it is built on an open source core, it still remains somewhat proprietary, which may be a concern for some community members. "

https://www.fairphone.com/2015/03/17...congress-2015/

63% out of (only) 361 voters votes for Sailfish OS in this poll

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/poll-i...ng-system/6593

I think it is time to help Jolla choose sides , it is clear to me that Fairphone is ready to choose them if some concerns about openness and security are being solved.

Needless to say, Jolla as it stands is already the most fair company compared to Android Google.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
I have a feeling we won't see Intex sailfish phone.

Tags
jolla phone