Poll: What applications would you like to see FIRST to receive portrait mode ?
Poll Options
What applications would you like to see FIRST to receive portrait mode ?

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
I just sorta had a thought. Does anyone what EXIF data the cameras seem to support?

I ask because I am wondering if portrait orientation EXIF data is out of the question.

The accelerometer determines if it is held in as portrait/horizontal (0 or 1) and writes this to the EXIF properties, and then an image viewer could recognize this and rotate it as needed/desired.

Additionally I think this feature, should it exist, should be enable/disable optional as I can see it annoying certain people.
Portrait data is in the EXIF. That's the biggest reason for the accelerometer, to know whether to rotate a captured image for portrait or normal mode.

Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
I don't get this... The Images app (how you view images) can be in landscape and portrait. But the camera?

If you want to take a photo in portrait, you hold the device in portrait -- just like a regular camera. If the camera had to switch to portrait mode, you'd still be taking your photo in landscape (because the view would rotate), but it'd be shrunk to fit in the portrait view.

Or, am I missing something?

Tim
The images app doesn't autorotate, just the individual images when viewed in full screen. At least that is how it looks on the videos...

I wish Nokia ported features from the Photo Browser app from S60 5th to Maemo 5. That's what type of gallery glamour I like.

At least, I think portrait mode is very useful when you just want to read something, for example a word document, and webpage, a text file, etc.

So please change some base part to allow every application use portrait mode freely.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, polls are nice but if you *really* want to influence directly the support for portrait mode in the Maemo releases and actually help making it happen you could better invest your energies in the Brainstorm.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Enhancements go to Brainstorm.

There are 3 entries related to portrait mode but none of them has solutions proposed that people can vote:

Implement portrait mode in Fremantle Media Player (audio)

Implement portrait mode for Fremantle Messaging

Implement portrait mode in Fremantle Maps

Note that the browser has been mentioned it here as a primary case but there is no brainstorm proposal related to it.
fwiw we are dragging the attention of tghe related product managers. The Brainstorm ideas are still empty and this thread is approaching 500 posts. I have no idea anymore whether there are good proposals for solutions in this looong thread that could be summarized and voted in the Brainstorm.

By now I can only tell to them "the community would like to have more support for portrait mode". Which is not bad, but after all this discussion...

Thank you!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Hi, polls are nice but if you *really* want to influence directly the support for portrait mode in the Maemo releases and actually help making it happen you could better invest your energies in the Brainstorm.

fwiw we are dragging the attention of tghe related product managers. The Brainstorm ideas are still empty and this thread is approaching 500 posts. I have no idea anymore whether there are good proposals for solutions in this looong thread that could be summarized and voted in the Brainstorm.

By now I can only tell to them "the community would like to have more support for portrait mode". Which is not bad, but after all this discussion...

Thank you!

Don't forget this http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ait_mode_input ! Shameless promote

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
THIS BRAINSTORM is about automatic screen rotation FOR THE ENTIRE UI if anyone wants to give some input. I'm doing it along right now...

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
I don't know if anybody has mentioned this, but I would really like to see a portrait mode dictaphone app that is very quick and easy to access. I often have random thoughts that I like to make not of.

Last edited by Jason404; 2009-09-26 at 17:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jason404 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
I just sorta had a thought. Does anyone what EXIF data the cameras seem to support?

I ask because I am wondering if portrait orientation EXIF data is out of the question.

The accelerometer determines if it is held in as portrait/horizontal (0 or 1) and writes this to the EXIF properties, and then an image viewer could recognize this and rotate it as needed/desired.

Additionally I think this feature, should it exist, should be enable/disable optional as I can see it annoying certain people.
I do not know how the camera works in the N900, but having a jpeg image rotated automatically from EXIF data is not as simple as that, as far as I understand, because of how jpeg compression works.

For example, even in Photoshop, if you rotate a jpeg, you incur quality loss, as Photoshop is not capable of lossless rotation of jpegs.*

So I think the camera app will have to be able to jpeg compress the image in portrait/landscape mode at that moment, depending on what the accelerometer is telling it, if image quality is to be kept as well as it could be.

* - actually, I am not sure if this is still the case, as I am in the habit of converting images to a lossless format before working on them.

Last edited by Jason404; 2009-09-24 at 23:26.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
That JPEG thingie is a different story altogether - you can't SAVE a jpeg with rotated *pixels* without quality loss (or file size increase). EXIF is a different story altogether. The cam should always save the image as recorded. the EXIF based rotation should be *on screen only*, e.g. when the jpeg has been decompressed, which is not an issue for viewers. Yeah, I know, it's more convenient to set the orientation flag to zero and just rotate the pic, but it's a Bad Thing.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
you can't SAVE a jpeg with rotated *pixels* without quality loss (or file size increase).
jpegtran is your friend :-)

Edit: come to think of it, the data coming from the camera should be raw pixels, right? So until you save (thereby turning it into a JPEG and losing information) it you should be able to apply all sorts of transformations losslessly.

At the risk of going totally off-topic, does the camera application support any lossless file formats?

Last edited by lma; 2009-09-25 at 01:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia v. upright ppl war, portrait mode