Active Topics

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Seattle WA
I'd like to add Adblock Plus (Firefox) from the Firefox Website. First of all -- has anyone tried it on the N800 with OS2008?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

Second, if you have done it, how to do you install it? I've tested it to see where it would allow me to save as, but I can't figure out where the browser is on the N800 to allow it to access Adblock Plus.

Last, where do I find the version and other info for the brower? I've looked under settings (in the browser), looked under the settings/control panel, looked under the settings/application manager...

???

Thanks for your help.

DJ

The browser is not Firefox, it just has the same rendering engine. So Firefox extensions will not work.

Here's adblock for maemo browser: http://browser-extras.garage.maemo.org/news/5/

The Following User Says Thank You to jussik For This Useful Post:
that was too easy ;-)

One of the reasons I picked up the N800 is because of this Website and the people on it. Thanks for your help.

I simply copied over my HOSTS frile from XP as that is all I use combined with a firewall. I don't use any AV or other so-called "security" software. Those have become a like owning a boat, which everyone knows is just like owning a hole in the water you throw money in...

The HOSTS file trick worked perfectly and my browsing is improved significantly. You do need to have access as "root" to overwrite the existing HOSTS file.

Off to look at the adblock plug-in now though...

I noticed on the:

http://browser-extras.garage.maemo.org/news

page also has a FLASH BLOCK plug-in...I like this very much. Flash is the most over/mis-used high overhead part of web technology today. It just not very controllable from the user end.

Adblock is working gloriously. A small red rectangle belies in the lower right hand corner is just a hint of it's power. What I'm saying is install, reboot, then go to MSN.com and enjoy the quiet visual power of NOTHING BLINKING AT YOU. Then go to extratv.com. Same thing, Yowza. thanks again.

DJ

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Last time I tried adblock on my N800 browsing became very very slow. Has this been improved in a later version of adblock?

At this point I'm not seeing any delay beyond what is normal. But I have my browser set up to automatically take up the space it needs (in the browser control panel).

I've had performance issues as well. Did you set up extra swap memory to either memory devices?

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
I've had performance issues as well. Did you set up extra swap memory to either memory devices?
Nope. Are you suggesting I should, or that I shouldn't?