Internet Tablet Talk gets about 700 new members per month. Out of those 700 new members, only a small percentage actually post a question or join the discussion in the forums. We think that majority of the new members would search the forums for answers but then end up reading replies that are too technical that make them uncomfortable to post a follow-up question since they don't know how to compose their replies. Thus, we are launching Tablet Scene. What is Tablet Scene? Tablet Scene is a new site for those who are really new to the Nokia Internet Tablet and the Maemo world. Tablet Scene aims to post guides and tips on how to use the Internet Tablet, as well as discuss and answer Internet Tablet topics and questions as non-technical as possible. Tablet Scene is replacing Internet Tablet Talk's 'Tablet 101.' Who will be running Tablet Scene? Krisse of Internet Tablet School is joining Roger and me to run Tablet Scene. Krisse has done a marvelous job at Internet Tablet School so, a lot of the first articles in Tablet Scene will actually be pointing to articles at Internet Tablet School. It is a privilege that we will get to work with Krisse (who is also a contributor at All About Symbian and All About N-Gage). We are also expecting that seasoned members from Internet Tablet Talk and folks from maemo.org would help contribute and provide non-technical guides and answers to new tablet users in the forums. If you want to help the site and become a regular contributing writer, let us know! How is it related to Internet Tablet Talk? Internet Tablet Talk and Tablet Scene are sister sites -- the two sites actually share the same membership database! This means post counts are shared, avatars are shared, signatures are shared, and even private messages are shared. The only thing you need to do is login separately (yup, with the same password), and you can visit, search, post between sites freely. We hope to see some of you at Tablet Scene! Note that it is still work-in-progress so as always, comments and suggestions are always welcome. Oh, our next project is the software site. We already have plans on how it will work but we hope to polish the details with the maemo.org folks during Maemo Summit 2008 in September.
Read the full article.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Sounds cool I'm always happy to help people out with non technical answers.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Hum ... could be a bad idea to divide a community ...

Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Hum ... could be a bad idea to divide a community ...
It's not really dividing. A lot of collaboration will be happening, and plus, the membership database is the same. Think of it as another set of forums in a different page.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Don't get me wrong, but this idea sounds redundant to me.

Two sites? Two forums? I don't get it. I think that a better organized ITT is the solution for the newbies issues, but who knows...

Just my two cents.

Again, think of it as another set of forums in a different page. It's using the same member database.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Not only do I think its a good idea to help new people but I almost left ITT the first time I was told to just go search and find the answer my self. This is something the community has needed for a long time. I personally think anyone who really doesn't want to help new people should just stay away from that site. Just my idea.

Edit: I just want everyone to know I'm not saying anyone who posted before me said to search the forums or don't want to help new people.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Last edited by andrewfblack; 2008-08-05 at 15:44.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I won't deny I agreed with Khertan & amigokin but after reading andrewfblack's latest post, I can't deny that he has a point. I also can't deny that I'm one of the people that points others to the search button...

But really, was Tablet Scene the best name? To me, scene = warez :/ .I was expecting cracks for the Map application and leaked dsme source code

I'm hoping this doesn't split the community, but instead strengthens it.
Those who enjoy helping the less knowledgable, such as myself, will hopefully spend time on Tablet Scene.
Those who don't have as much patience will at least be able to avoid pointing out the search button as frequently.

Tablet Scene sounds like a great extension of ITT and I look forward to visiting the new forums.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Aachen, Germany
I'm one of the "relative" new members. Until today I didn't post one message, but I used the search button a lot of times with varying success. Example: To get informations how to install kde, plenty threads with several solutions. Which is to prefer? Informations, which repository setting to use with diablo, try it by Yourself, horrible.

So I looked into the wiki and I edited there some articles (little content, but links to forum postings regarding kde). All in all the wiki is in a poor condition. Wouldn't it be nice, if there would be a well supported wiki?

Another forum, another search button, another never ending postings?

Tags
newbies, tablet scene