Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
Ubuntu mobile really isn't done yet but I imagine it will progress faster than the glacial speed of IT OS. 2D and 3D hardware acceleration out of the gate, and power usage is down to 25mw at idle... Quite impressive.

I look forward to the Intel MIDs this year.
The N8x0 omap chip has a PowerVR 3d acceleration module. Why nokia has not written a basic library or extended X to take advantage of it is beyond me.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
most likely license issues.

Looks very interesting. At 700 euros retail price and with the larger size it is not directly a competitor. Also the 3 hours of battery life makes it less of a mobile device, even though it seems quite decent for a x86 cpu.

The company I work for is in talks with EB MIMD about manufacturing it-- I don't know how serious it is-- but we have talked with them regarding the matter. This video of the Aigo MID-- which is essentially the same thing as the Gigabyte M528-- is one of my favorites:
http://www.themidkid.com/?p=27

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by theMIDkid View Post
The company I work for is in talks with EB MIMD about manufacturing it-- I don't know how serious it is-- but we have talked with them regarding the matter.
Need alpha or beta testers? ;-)

And do you know what features it'll have?

SD slots?
how much RAM?
SSD options?
WWAN options (WiMAX, CDMA/1xRTT/EVDO, GSM(europe/AT&T/T-mo-usa)/GRPS/EDGE/UMTS/HSPA/LTE)?

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
The company I work for is in talks with EB MIMD about manufacturing it-- I don't know how serious it is-- but we have talked with them regarding the matter.
Good info, keep us posted, please.

I hadn't seen that video before, it so cool to see how Ubuntu Mobile is progressing. Personally I can't wait for these devices to be launched.

Also, I like your website and shall keep checking it for news.

Yeah- I'll keep everyone posted if our company goes any further with licensing the EB MIMD for manufacturing.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by theMIDkid View Post
Yeah- I'll keep everyone posted if our company goes any further with licensing the EB MIMD for manufacturing.

Was just reading through your web page, and your "ideal device". I like what you wrote, and would only add these items:

1) I'd like the screen to be tiltable (like the AT&T Tilt)

2) I'd just be more explicit in what you said about "3G or WiMAX", in saying "UMTS/HSPA, EVDO, or WiMAX". I'd settle for an Express Card slot on the top of the device, which provides that functionality (but could also, in theory, provide other functionality). But, having an EVDO product I can use with Sprint, or a UMTS product I can use with T-Mobile-USA would be rather nice. In fact, having a device I can use with T-Mobile-USA for UMTS, SMS/MMS, and UMA calls ... THAT would be outstanding (whether or not it could do regular GSM calls, or only do VOIP over UMTS when away from a UMA/Hotspot-At-Home service, would be ok with me... just saying, if you've got Wifi, and support for T-Mobile-USA, I wonder how much harder it would be to do UMA).

3) What you said about a laptop that basically can act as a "docking station" for the device ... you can probably do that with an OQO. No one has made such a laptop, but the OQO does have a docking station port, and a desktop docking station. I like your idea, though, and you could do both: have laptop and desktop "shells" for the device, so that you could use the laptop's screen and keyboard (and perhaps HDD/SDD and CD/DVD storage) when you want ... and/or do the same thing with a desktop enclosure.

4) rather than have a build-in projector, I'd just have a micro-DVI out, or something similar for HDMI. If the micro-DVI supported the -A wires, you could have a micro-DVI to VGA interface, as well. Or, you could even have it be something that works with the docking-station interface, so you could plug it into a projector, a laptop, or a desktop. I can understand not wanting the need for a real projector, but I have to wonder just how much internal space such a thing takes up.

Wonder how hard it'd be to get those features worked into the EB MIMD ;-)

Oh, one last question, since you've probably seen the EB-MIMD in person ... what are all fo the side-rail buttons? Looks like there's two for the right thumb, 3 for the left thumb, and then a round button about half way up the left side (a Dpad?) ... what are all of those wonderful buttons!? :-)

VERY good point about the tilt screen-- I will add that on there because I believe that would be a necessity too. Personally, I haven't seen the EB-MIMD in person. People in my company have, but I haven't. I talked with them last week and they said they sent some production numbers and what not to Elektrobit, but they haven't responded yet. So we'll see what happens. I was wondering the same thing about the buttons on the sides of the device as well! I think having the buttons on the sides is really ideal though. It really extends the functionality of the device by not limiting interface to just the touch screen (especially if the touch screen is not as responsive as say an iPhone).

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
1) I'd like the screen to be tiltable (like the AT&T Tilt)

2) I'd just be more explicit in what you said about "3G or WiMAX", in saying "UMTS/HSPA, EVDO, or WiMAX". I'd settle for an Express Card slot on the top of the device, which provides that functionality (but could also, in theory, provide other functionality). But, having an EVDO product I can use with Sprint, or a UMTS product I can use with T-Mobile-USA would be rather nice. In fact, having a device I can use with T-Mobile-USA for UMTS, SMS/MMS, and UMA calls ... THAT would be outstanding (whether or not it could do regular GSM calls, or only do VOIP over UMTS when away from a UMA/Hotspot-At-Home service, would be ok with me... just saying, if you've got Wifi, and support for T-Mobile-USA, I wonder how much harder it would be to do UMA).
those two gets my vote as well

3) What you said about a laptop that basically can act as a "docking station" for the device ... you can probably do that with an OQO. No one has made such a laptop, but the OQO does have a docking station port, and a desktop docking station. I like your idea, though, and you could do both: have laptop and desktop "shells" for the device, so that you could use the laptop's screen and keyboard (and perhaps HDD/SDD and CD/DVD storage) when you want ... and/or do the same thing with a desktop enclosure.
sounds a bit like the celio redfly but for a mid