Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Hakki_01 View Post
gsmarena mentions BT 3.0 in the review.. I guess difference between 3 and 4 is just energy consumtion, but not transfer speed?
actually bt4 is not backward compatible so ship must be dualband.

wl1273 wifi and bt chip has 2.1. so actually there could be a external btchip but i really doubt until prof. one thing is for sure gsmarena and such sites has no clue.

reason i dont beleive in a external bt chip is where is the damn driver lspci do not list any...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
wl1273 is used and only support bt2.1 lspci in terminal confirms that. there is no bt4 its hoax until someone shows facts. dont get me wrong but I just want proves not rumors ir some cert.
Where's the proof that only wl1273 could be used for BT, & not something else?
And where's the proof that wl1273 definitely cannot support BT4.0?

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-15 at 13:25.

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
First hit at mr. g:
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...emplateId=6123
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
The N9 ships with Bluetooth 2.1 but 4.0 is planned as an update. The update will allow NFC sharing to piggyback over Wifi (through the Bluetooth High Speed protocol.
Source:
http://www.qtness.com/blog/?p=58

Now to use Bluetooth High Speed protocol, it has to be using at least BT3.0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetoo...th_v3.0_.2B_HS

I'll get xsacha from whirlpool.net.au...
To see if he can double-check with Nokia Australia senior management once again.

Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
First hit at mr. g:
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...emplateId=6123
Doesn't demonstrate that wl1273 "can't" support BT4.0.
That just proves that it supports BT2.1 + EDR...
Plus we still don't know for sure that wl1273 is what's used for BT.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-15 at 13:30.

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
@jalyst
Maybe you should learn how to read BEFORE you post. From the link supplied above:
"Supports latest Bluetooth low-energy (Bluetooth 4.0) and Bluetooth 3.0 specifications"
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
It's more a case of post before read. semantics.
I was actually about to read it in more depth.
Thanks for ensuring I don't have to.

That doco must've been updated recently*, as I'm quite certain I did that search & looked at it once.
Or at least someone else did, & linked to it...

As I hoped-for/suspected all along....
*EDIT*
But to support BT4.0 the chip must be wl1273l, I think lspci reveals wl1273 right?
Could just simply mean the driver there now, will be replaced w/a more suitable one come PR1.1/2.

*doc edit date doesn't seem to have been updated though.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-15 at 19:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by slai View Post
I was lined up. Behind this one other guy.
Let's compare sales of the two devices and stock prices of the two companies. I'm not trying to troll here, I'm honestly glad that you and that other guy got your N9 preorders.

I hear preorder amounts in like... 20, 30 per store, if not higher. I'm in a smaller city and the preorders for something like Gears of War 3 was over 110. The local Apple store had over 1000 preorders for the iPhone 4S.

That doesn't say that the stores aren't nice or nicer (not sure how the **** that got pulled into the train of thought) or that Nokia doesn't have the stock - apparently they don't have the 64gb in numbers or people wouldn't be repeatedly looking and asking for them - but you're talking about walking into a store and buying a N9.

Try that in America. Or UK. Or Germany. Or France. Or Canada. Or Japan. Or Mongolia.

I'm being far beyond honest with my statements. The distribution of the N9 is as silly and uneven as the idea of lining up overnight around the block for a mass-produced device. But one means high as heck sales, one adds frustration to your purchase convenience.

We'll have this discussion next year when the Nokia WP7 devices have been released. I want to see the sales. The Mango update isn't making a dent in the US sales yet. It's doubtful that Nokia can save WP7 - and no, I didn't make a mistake on this one, it's not the other way around.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
not preorders. the preorders were gone a week before deliverydate to the webstore. this was a physical store i happened to go in to that happened to have gotten the n9 in just moments before i walked in.

For masses of people in front of stores, you need few things. First, hype. That's crutial part. Without it nothing will happen. Second, you need to tell people when it's going to be available. Apple master this two things. Nokia, well... Neither one of them.

Happy owner of N9, the last Nokia smartphone.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to babraq For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by slai View Post
not preorders. the preorders were gone a week before deliverydate to the webstore. this was a physical store i happened to go in to that happened to have gotten the n9 in just moments before i walked in.
You still overlooked that you cannot simply walk into any of the aforesaid countries and buy one.

Nor if the N9 sales will come close in their entirety to what the iPhone 4S did on day one. I blame the distribution of the N9... it should have been better.

Oh, and now we hear that the iPhone 4S is the first Bluetooth 4 phone. I was about to call shenanigans on that, but later found out that there will have to be an update on the N9 to go from BT 2.1 + EDR to BT 4, if it's possible (arguments are ongoing in other threads).

Yet another missed marketing opportunity.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????