Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I'm guessing all the owners not happy here...
Have never owned AMOLED/SAMOLED (not striped RBG) phones before?
This is what it's sounding most like.....

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I'm not familiar with display technologies... but: Is AMOLED/SAMOLED known for not being able to display a white background evenly over the whole display? It's purple on the upper left and becomes greenish towards the lower right of the display.

Also, is it common with AMOLED/SAMOLED displays that black text on white background draws lines across the whole display? Lines that change width as you move the text along these lines?

I don't know. The only AMOLED I own is the Nokia C7, and it has no such problem. The issue with the lines reminds me of my Nokia 770 a few days before its display died.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I'm not familiar with display technologies... but: Is AMOLED/SAMOLED known for not being able to display a white background evenly over the whole display? It's purple on the upper left and becomes greenish towards the lower right of the display.
Also, is it common with AMOLED/SAMOLED displays that black text on white background draws lines across the whole display? Lines that change width as you move the text along these lines?
The problem is, what you guys are describing keeps changing, it's not consistent at all.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PenTile...ly#Controversy. Basically, if you assume you bought (854 × 480) 409920 each of red, green and blue pixels you are wrong.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
The problem is, what you guys are describing keeps changing, it's not consistent at all.
It doesn't change much on my screen.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PenTile...ly#Controversy. Basically, if you assume you bought (854 × 480) 409920 each of red, green and blue pixels you are wrong.
Each of RGB "sub-pixels" you mean.
Latest non-pentile (striped RGB) AMOLED sub-pixel config is:

RGB|RGB
RGB|RGB

Whereas the N9's is:

RG|BG
RG|BG

So 50% higher sub-pixel density, spread over a wider gamut of primary colours.
Having said that, at a pixel level the N9 still has 15% higher density than the SGSII for e.g.
And by all accounts it's brightness & contrast is better...
The way the panel's mounted so close to the glass, & the CBD tech also lend a hand.
Then again, marquee phones like the SGSII also implement similar things IIRC.

jakiman's comparo with the SGSII was pretty favorable overall
http://shootspeak.com/2011/10/08/scr...ung-galaxy-s2/
Seen several other anecdotal accounts which suggest it's better overall too.
Except for in some scenarios where pentile can be more noticeable.

I'm still not 100% sure that pentile alone, explains what's going on with your screens.
One of you has an E7, & it definitely shouldn't look better overall.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-19 at 15:56.

I tried to make a video of the display issues. My cam cannot really capture the fact that the display is more purple in the upper left and green in the lower right (when it should just be white), but it I could make a short clip that shows these "stripes" I'm talking about:

http://blip.tv/ossi1967/nokia-n9-display-issues-5657368

It's not as visible in the video as it is in reality, of course, but you may get the idea - better than from my words.

Note "shadow-like" stripes above and beneath the black letters; very visible around the year "2011" in the headline. Phone is in landscape, the lines are actually horizontal lines when you hold the phone in portrait mode.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
The N8s that Nokia kindly give out (with out asking) when one of our N900s die suffer from a purple screen issue at low brightness levels.

Try going here to test your N9s

With an N8:
  • Gamma correction is all wrong, stripes blend at 1.2 not 2.2
  • Gradient test shows the pruple screen issue then goes to dark maroon before black.
  • Black level test the first square visible is #4, 4 - 14 are all amroon, 15 - 30 have a purple tinge, only squre 40 is grey.
  • White saturation test seemed OK.
  • Inversion (pixel walk) test compared to PC monitor the N8 looks rubbish.

Living in the UK means I don't have an N9 to do the tests with, but the N8 also has an amoled screen, I don't know if the screen is the same type as the N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I tried to make a video of the display issues. My cam cannot really capture the fact that the display is more purple in the upper left and green in the lower right (when it should just be white), but it I could make a short clip that shows these "stripes" I'm talking about:
Could you take high-res macro photos (at a level where individual subpixels are easily distinguishable)? From that it should be easy to determine whether what you see is due to the pentile matrix or not.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
I'm also seeing the stripes. They show up in both portrait and landscape, but they are much easier to see in landscape. It looks like there is a "invisible line" that bleeds everything that's on the line through the screen (upwards when in landscape, in portrait it's to the right).
So there might be just white on the invisible line and there's no stripes on the screen. But when black text hits the line, the black bleeds through the whole screen.
Here's a oh, so wonderfull paint illustration...
http://bayimg.com/FaKLLaadj
It's really hard to get proper photos of it, because it's not that bad, and when trying to get photos you actually need to make them bit blurry or the lines disappear into the moire noise.

Last edited by DeeGee; 2011-10-22 at 14:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to DeeGee For This Useful Post: