Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
@robthebold
glad you like it! (speaksms script? sounds interesting! link?)
Just a one-liner. I think I'm accessing the database the hard way, and it's not very sophisticated, but it did the job and achieved 'good enough' status, so that's where I left it.

Obvious warning: best not used in public. One time I tried that my wife was detailing her digestive suffering! Yikes! NSFW or anywhere non-private.

Also, since it pipes the whole database of smss to tail, it can slow down if you've got a lot of saved conversations.

And it only speaks the last message received -- even if you've already read it -- not all new messages.

Code:
tracker-sparql -q "select nie:plainTextContent(?d) where {?d a nmo:SMSMessage}" | tail -n 2 |espeak

Last edited by robthebold; 2015-07-16 at 13:42. Reason: typing tags on touchscreen is hard

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Just a one-liner. I think I'm accessing the database the hard way, and it's not very sophisticated, but it did the job and achieved 'good enough' status, so that's where I left it.

And it only speaks the last message received -- even if you've already read it -- not all new messages.

Code:
tracker-sparql -q "select nie:plainTextContent(?d) where {?d a nmo:SMSMessage}" | tail -n 2 |espeak
Wow, still getting amazed on the variety and possibilities of N9/x0!
Never heard about tracker-sparql. (now just combine with dbus listening of receiving SMS and we are always up-to-date)

Thanks for that head-up!

--edit
for all that have the emojifix installed: reading messages with emoticons inside fails

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-07-20 at 14:45. Reason: emoji not supported, typos

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Wow, still getting amazed on the variety and possibilities of N9/x0!
Never heard about tracker-sparq. (now just combine with dbus listening of reeceiving SMS and we are always up-to-date)

Thanks for that head-upl

--edit
for all that have the emojifix installed: reading messages with emoticons inside fails
Does emojifx cause messages with emojicons in them to appear as mms (instead of sms)? Mms are stoted differently, and my little query doesn't know where to look. I've never used smileys other than those composed purely of text chars and I don't have the fix installed, but I found that group messages get mmsified when I get one of those.

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
I experienced battery drops (4%) when using this app.I wanted to uninstall it, to check if this app was the Problem.Now, i can't uninstall it. Tried also apt-get remove. Doesn't work. Any ideas?thanks.

Originally Posted by emro View Post
I experienced battery drops (4%) when using this app.I wanted to uninstall it, to check if this app was the Problem.Now, i can't uninstall it. Tried also apt-get remove. Doesn't work. Any ideas?thanks.
Why not post the apt-get output here and see if anyone can help find the problem.

(BTW, I haven't had power consumption problems that I can attribute to button monitor.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
@emro

coupla things:
1) 4% drop is the worst. happens to everyone, on every n9, if they do something battery intensive while the battery is fairly low. be at 20%, open the web browser, and do an image search. => 4%. its SO ANNOYING.
2) ive done extensive testing on power consumption of n9bm (on 5 different N9s). in all of my tests, power usage is exactly the same at rest (4mA ~ 16mA). im not telling you not to do your own tests, or not to uninstall it, just offering you info to help you diagnose your problem.
3) "devel-su", then "apt-get remove n9-button-monitor". thats how you remove packages. there are guis to manage openrepos software, but ive never used them.

The Following User Says Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Alright.Thanks a lot..
I'll test again and tell you about my experience. I just have an incredible avg consumption of 182 mA and it's driving me mad.

wow thats rough. i just did a short battery of tests on my phone to make sure nothing changed since the last time i tested. discrepancies are well within a reasonable margin of error for a single quick test, so i feel pretty safe saying n9bm isnt addng any drain to my phone.

averages over 10 min, measured every 30s:

with everything else disabled (no bt/wifi, screen OFF, no sim card, etc):
with n9bm: 5.2mA
without n9bm: 5.1mA

wifi connected in low power, simcard in, 3.5g on but unused, low-power-screen on with billboard, etc:
with n9bm: 42.0mA
without n9bm: 46.2mA

on a side note, 42mA is worse than standby used to be for me
used to be 14mA. i wonder what changed in the past year. billboard instead of lpsm, maybe.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
apt-get is for installing packages that come from repositories, not manually downloaded deb packages. to install this, you should type "dpkg -i n9-button-monitor*.deb". {you can then do "apt-get -f install" to automatically fetch missing dependencies and complete the install, if you like, or you can just install the dependencies first}
in root to dpkg command: the first error is "cannot find newline in '<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC... with some sort of finder.cox address.
it says stuff like. dpkg: status database area is locked by another process

aegis-loader: failed loading policy for n9-button...

apt-get -f install: could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock

Last edited by balisingh; 2016-07-15 at 21:44.

Tags
harmattan, nokia n9