Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by rafanto View Post
Our karma than many others , will increase only when participating in discussions on talk and not with our work & post in blog , because it is not inserted into the maemo planet feed as it is not in English.
Bugzilla, bugzilla, bugzilla.

EDIT: what I mean is that Bug reporting is an even better road to karma.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-10-18 at 18:30.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
rafanto I see your point but please see ours: normally these programs are for developers. Considering other types of community contributors is already unusual, but then taking into account community activity out of maemo.org is even more tricky. No system is perfect. Perhaps a solution is to contribute to the internationalizetion of maemo.org so e.g. other languages would have own blog planets and etc? There is a proposal in the Brainstorm about this and is there with only half dozen of votes.

Exceptions, transfers, special arrangements... please arrange them yourselves. You really want us to concentrate in th work we have to do. We have done our part sending the invitations to the contributors in the "norm". Thankyou again for your understanding.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
As a former quality assurance guy it makes me nuts that people keep pressing for perfection from imperfect beings, without understanding cost.

Everyone complaining about the "cracks" in this program needs to take a course in QA-oriented statistics. You'll come away more appreciative of the process.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I may have missed this info, but: The devices we talk about here for the contibutors: Are they localized (read: keyboard layout according to region) or will it be one size fits all?
Before asking for a localized keyboard i strongly suggest that you try to get your hands on a demo unit and switch the keyboard layout the in the preferences.

I e.g. did this to see how the german layout would be. Since they really assign seperate keys to the umlauts, e.g. the cursor keys are reduced to two and e.g. "up" is "shift+down" (if you ever had a commodore 64 you know what i am talking about).

I personally don't like the german keyboard and am glad the ones they gave out at the summit have english keyboards.

You've been warned!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
As a former quality assurance guy it makes me nuts that people keep pressing for perfection from imperfect beings, without understanding cost.
Maybe they're not pressing for an unreasonable amount of perfection. Maybe they have a different view of what perfection would be, of when it would be reached.

Part of the discontent I read in this thread could come from the fact that people have very different perceptions about the purpose of this program. (Just a hypothesis... it's how I read some of the negative posts here.)

I'm not really sure myself, I have to admit.

I come from the old N810 days when we read this announcment:
The call is addressed not only to open source programmers, but also to designers, documentation writers, community supporters, maemo evangelists, bloggers…
and this blog post:
We are running a N810 maemo device program open to current and potential contributors. Note that we have removed the word “developer” to make it clear that non-programmers are included as well. More details tomorrow.
(emphasis added)

So for me, ever since these days in Oct 2007, it was crystal clear that whatever device program comes next, it would not be a developers program (unless stated otherwise, as for example with the Fremantle Stars). This was my expectation, and whatever I read since, I read and understood in this context. (BTW, I had also expected since Oct 2007 that karma would be the indicator for the next device program.)

I was 100% sure about this and couldn't understand why some opposed karma as a valid (and agreed upon) indicator... It wasn't a developer-program anymore, was it?

Re-reading this thread and more recent material now, especially this:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Being devices for developers I wouldn't be surprised that they have default English keyboard, but you can ask to the N900 program address specified in the email invitationl.
... plus the title of this thread (where the word "developer" suddenly is back), I'm no longer sure. Was I wrong in the first place? Was I the only one who had wrongly read the recent announcement in the context of the old device programs?

The bottom line is: Some may see imperfection only because they thought the whole thing was created to reach a different goal. Coming from the "Note that we have removed the word “developer” to make it clear..."-past, I don't see imperfection in the way it's handled. Not at all. Quite on the contrary, I see it successfully addressing a lot of the issues people had with all previous programs because those were tied to the Nokia online stores.

It all boils down to... communication.

And yes, karma isn't 100% perfect. May I quote Quim:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Karma is one of the elements taken into account in the device programs targetting Maemo contrigbutors. These days we are working on the N900 device program and it's quite evident that developers are ranked with all kinds of distortions and the system seems to praise more the ones talking than the ones coding. Some coders talk a lot, some others don't.

It's too late for any fix now, but it's good to brainstorm for the future. I think we should discuss these ideas thinking on the Maemo 5 timeline, and the implementation should help evaluating the reputation of developers in the near future
(emphasis added)

So I don't see much use telling the Maemo team @Nokia that karma could be re-calibrated... They know, we know they know, and solutions are already being discussed.
(Discussing it, though, automatically means evaluating tasks people do for/in the community. What's more important: A bug report or a blog post? How many thanked posts should be equal to one ported application? ...? It should be clear from the start there'll be never consensus on this.)

Last edited by benny1967; 2009-10-18 at 19:40.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Benny you certainly raise some valid points about the program communications. But the complaining I see tends to be specifically targeting a 'slighted' developer of choice per complainant. That was my focus.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
...the complaining I see tends to be specifically targeting a 'slighted' developer of choice per complainant. That was my focus.
You're right, actually my post didn't really answer yours... - It discusses a different aspect of the whole thing. Sorry... You know how brains work...

I should edit my post and delete the reference to yours to make that clear now, but that would delete the 2 thanks I got so far... And I'll never do anything that's bad for my Kar-maaaaa!!!!

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Why make things complicated? Simply donate the price difference, it amounts to the same thing.
It's not the same thing at all. You are suggesting that the individual offer the discount, not Nokia. The discount is already proffered from Nokia, I am simply suggesting that it be allowed to be redirected.

It's just an idea. It's no skin off my shin either way. Quim makes a very fair point about not wasting Nokia resources on any effort other than development...I'm happy to leave it at that.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Platania (CZ), ITALY
Bugzilla, bugzilla, bugzilla.

EDIT: what I mean is that Bug reporting is an even better road to karma.
Bugzilla on the old platform (os2006,os2007,os2008)because I have only 770 & n810 I share with other student friends

first I have expressed my thoughts because I have a karma +200 but because I follow maemo since 2006 and I love this OS and devices.

Being a student does not have a budget to buy a N900 (not even with the discount if the final price is € 450 so it is not a personal statement)

email: antoniodicello[at]gmail[dot]com
blog: http://rafanto.net

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
fwiw the topic reads "developers and contributors" and there are many non-developers that got the email invitation.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: