Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Still one day until the booth closes; please vote for the new council if you have not yet done so!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
What do you mean, still one day left? I only received the email this morning!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What do you mean, still one day left? I only received the email this morning!
I have a hard time believing that since I know that all voting tokens were sent out friday 8.12 which is 9 days ago!!!

How do they deliver email in UK, by donkey&carriage?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I have a hard time believing that since I know that all voting tokens were sent out friday 8.12 which is 9 days ago!!!

How do they deliver email in UK, by donkey&carriage?
I would probably be faster than using the internet in some rural areas!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
I have a hard time believing that
On 17/12/2017 08:55, no-reply@maemo.org wrote:
> Dear pichlo,
>
> The election of the Maemo Community Council is now open, and
> you have received this email as you are eligible to vote.
But, curiously, full headers say it was sent and received on 8 December at 08:36. Mystery.

Never mind, I have cast my vote

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I would probably be faster than using the internet in some rural areas!
Hmm actually you are correct.

A donkey might weigh about 220kg, and pulls around 4 times its own weigh which comes to about 900kg in total. If tha barrow would weigh around 150kg it leaves 750kg for payload.

Now imagine that the barrow is filled with micro-SD cards, which weigh around 0.4g. The full load will be around 1875000 memory cards. If we take a conservative estimete of using 32GB cards the barrowfull will hold around 60000TB worth of the good stuff.

Now as the donkey might pull the load at maybe 10km/h on a level road, the total bandwidth of the donkey-pulled barrow over the last mile is around 110TB/s. Typical landline DSL downlink might be 20MB/s so the donkey-method is 5.5 million times faster.

---------- edit ----------

Actually I made a trivial mistake here; the units on the DSL are of course Mbits/s and on the cartfull of SD-cards MB/s.
Now if we assume the DSL speed is what you get out-of-the-ethernet port, so that all AAL5 framing and synchronization is not included in it, then it turns out the donkey actually wins more than 44 million times over...

Last edited by juiceme; 2017-12-18 at 05:32.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Now as the donkey might pull the load at maybe 10km/h on a level road, the total bandwidth of the donkey-pulled barrow over the last mile is around 110TB/s.
I don't follow. How did you get from a unit of distance per unit of time to a unit of information per unit of time?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I don't follow. How did you get from a unit of distance per unit of time to a unit of information per unit of time?
Easily.

Note that I was talking about "the last mile" here, as usually it is what is considered the bottleneck of home internet connectivity.

Now DSL is of course as near instantaneous in this thought experiment, when you shove a byte in the pipeline in the DSLAM end it appears out-of-ethernet-port of your DSL pretty quickly, even allowing that the poor byte spends most of the time huddling in various buffers during the transmission time.

For the donkey&barrow we need to factor in the time it travels over the last mile (roughly 1500 meters) at hefty pace of 10km/h.
Hence we get the units to match; [B/t] = [B]/(l/(l/t))]
6*10⁴TB travelling at 2,8m/s for 1500 meters gives us the bandwidth of 110TB/s

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I was talking about "the last mile" here
Ahh, OK, that makes sense.

Would you mind recalculating for the entire route? Southern Finland to southern England, as in from your place to mine?
There are (typically, I know there are ways around it) two ferry crossings - we can assume a row boat for those.

We can also assume a 10-20% packet loss in the donkey transport, due to some of the cargo getting lost or damaged by the elements, especially over long distances, so we need to factor in some redundancy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
The results of the Council Election Q1 2018 are available now;
https://www.maemo.org/vote/results.php?election_id=49

Congratulations to the new Council!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: