Active Topics

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
You probably do need to reflash. Backupmenu would have got you back to normal in just a few minutes.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Beijing, China
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
You probably do need to reflash. Backupmenu would have got you back to normal in just a few minutes.
Okay... I'll be doing this later this week if no more solution found... Will be playing with my Milestone and soon-arrival, screen-broken Epic 4G...

One more thing. Will backupmenu back up ALL system's state into an image? So this takes lots of space and time? And I should do the backup every time before an "apt-get upgrade"?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Try Backumenu and see for yourself. It is fairly quick and not that space-consuming. Yes, it saves everything

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Try Backumenu and see for yourself. It is fairly quick and not that space-consuming. Yes, it saves everything
No, it's that I haven't installed that before everything went awol and now Maemo is unbootable, let alone any actions like deb installation... REAL QUESTION IS, CAN I FIX THE PROB UNDER ANDROID (NITDroid with root, can access /home and subdirs)?

Got the self same thing a couple months back. Had to do a reflash, couldn't reflash normally by doing EMMC first then O/S because the N900 kept losing the connection, so ended up going O/S first; EMMC next and then the O/S again.

Haven't bothered with any custom kernels since.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by AndyYan View Post
No, it's that I haven't installed that before everything went awol and now Maemo is unbootable, let alone any actions like deb installation... REAL QUESTION IS, CAN I FIX THE PROB UNDER ANDROID (NITDroid with root, can access /home and subdirs)?
If you can access /usr/lib directory of Maemo then you should be able to replace the two files with the older version:

/usr/lib/libXau.so.6
/usr/lib/libXau.so.6.0.0

Old version of package can be downloaded at http://repository.maemo.org/pool/mae...o1.1_armel.deb and you can extract the files listed from it. Good luck!

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Suffolk
Originally Posted by AndyYan View Post
You could try the suggestion in this post (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=231) to boot back into Maemo to replace the offending file with the correct/original one.

I hope you get it sorted without the associated trouble of a reflash.

Originally Posted by mattkawa View Post
You could try the suggestion in this post (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=231) to boot back into Maemo to replace the offending file with the correct/original one.

I hope you get it sorted without the associated trouble of a reflash.
Wow, so it seems R&D and lifeguard does what it should... Great idea, will be trying it tonight!

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@AndyYan,

Just a theory: if you enable R&D mode and disable LG resers then the next time you boot the X server will most likely die (because of the bad libxau lib) and hopefully the phone will not reboot.

The problem is that you won't have a shell, or even a visible framebuffer, meaning you won't be able to even blindly type in the necessary commands to restore the working lib.

Try it anyway, and PLEASE report whatever result you get.

As an alternative, you might want to try putting the "Rescue OS" on a microSD card and boot from it using the flasher.
Link: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75369

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post: