Active Topics

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Beijing, China
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
@AndyYan,

Just a theory: if you enable R&D mode and disable LG resers then the next time you boot the X server will most likely die (because of the bad libxau lib) and hopefully the phone will not reboot.

The problem is that you won't have a shell, or even a visible framebuffer, meaning you won't be able to even blindly type in the necessary commands to restore the working lib.

Try it anyway, and PLEASE report whatever result you get.

As an alternative, you might want to try putting the "Rescue OS" on a microSD card and boot from it using the flasher.
Link: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75369
Tried both method.
The "Disable R&D + Lifeguard" gives no user interface, and I'm no blind operator. Anyway to enable UI or at least WiFi+SSH is welcomed!
Meanwhile I booted into RescueOS and WTF, there's no /home... USB Mass Storage is RAW format on Windows... AND no /usr/lib which means I can't replace the wrong lib even if I have the correct file!!
Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Mounting maemo rootfs in rescueOS gives me access to /usr/lib BUT NOT /home (ls returned empty results) so I'm still not able to put files (NITDroid can only access /home)...

Last edited by AndyYan; 2012-05-09 at 10:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to AndyYan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
This advice may be worthless, but donīt you have ssh installed on the N900, so you could use putty in combination with BackupMenu?

That should give you access to the whole device.

Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
This advice may be worthless, but donīt you have ssh installed on the N900, so you could use putty in combination with BackupMenu?

That should give you access to the whole device.
See, I haven"t got backupmenu installed previously. Or I shoulda solved this in no time...

UPDATE 2: Tried blind typing under R&D + LG-off, but with no UI present, it seems that I can't get over the "Disable offline mode" dialog (I use offline mode very often) because I imitated presses on the "yes" button and waited AND Ctrl-Shift-X and "root" and "reboot" and nothing happens...

The Following User Says Thank You to AndyYan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Using Rescue OS:

USB Mass-Storage mode
--------------------
/rescueOS/mass-storage-enable.sh
Makes /dev/mmcblk1p1 and /dev/mmcblk1p2 available for the mass-storage
mode. These are the EMMC home partition and MyDocs in maemo.

/rescueOS/mass-storage-disable.sh: Deactivates mass-storage mode.
With this you can mount /home from USB. You *do* know that /home is an ext3 partition do you? (hint: use Linux).

Anyway, try putting the original libxau6 somewhere in your SD card, mount rootfs (you said you now know how to do that), and then overwrite the file (I think it's in /usr/lib).

Good luck. and read the documentation!

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Using Rescue OS:

With this you can mount /home from USB. You *do* know that /home is an ext3 partition do you? (hint: use Linux).

Anyway, try putting the original libxau6 somewhere in your SD card, mount rootfs (you said you now know how to do that), and then overwrite the file (I think it's in /usr/lib).

Good luck. and read the documentation!
"Hint: use Linux" - You know I'm no Linux boy and I'm not gonna grab a Linux machine for this (I don't have one either)...
Put libxau6 in SD? The external? But isn't it that mount-maemo-root.sh only mounts a part of /(root dir)? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm n00b on Linux...
If that script does mount the external SD then point out the path for me... Thx :P

Originally Posted by AndyYan View Post
"Hint: use Linux" - You know I'm no Linux boy and I'm not gonna grab a Linux machine for this (I don't have one either)...
Put libxau6 in SD? The external? But isn't it that mount-maemo-root.sh only mounts a part of /(root dir)? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm n00b on Linux...
If that script does mount the external SD then point out the path for me... Thx :P
No need to be a Linux boy, just google LiveCD, burn onto a CD, and boot from there. Shouldn't take more than ten minutes.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
No need to be a Linux boy, just google LiveCD, burn onto a CD, and boot from there. Shouldn't take more than ten minutes.
Ain't no better if my notebook PC can read discs... BUT really my PC doesn't even have a disc drive!! WTF am I gonna do...

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
go to any internet center and flash it using thier PC's
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by AndyYan View Post
I don't know or care if you're a "Linux boy" or not. Fact is /home is an ext3 partition so if you want to be able to mount it you either use Linux or find some driver/"app" that lets you do that on whatever OS you're using.

libxau6 should in the end go in /usr/lib, that's your rootfs partition. Since you're booting from an SD card and before that you cannot possibly access the internal memory of the N900, the most logical place to put the new libxau6 is somewhere on that card, and THEN once you've booted, copy it from the SD card to the /usr/lib directory of your N900 root partition (obviously, after you've mounted it).

Other than I have no other suggestion. You either do it or not. If you're not willing to do that ("no linux boy") then your only option is to do a complete reflash.. but beware, flashing may work better under Linux than Windows.