Active Topics

I was wondering if it would be technically possible to on the N900 use the FM radio transmitter to make/receive calls. I want to do this because my car has a radio, but no bluetooth unit and want to try to utilize the transmitter for this purpose

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Poland
So why don't you try this out for yourself?

1. Hook your N900 into your car audio.
2. Try to make a call from the other handset.

It's simple as that, & tell us how was it

The Following User Says Thank You to stantheboss For This Useful Post:
But... But... But... It's easier to type the question than to go outside and try it.

I have to agree with stan. Go find out by trying.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
hi guys he specs telling us that it isnt possible at the moment to share calls over the fm transmitter. But that one Guy asked about the technical possibility maybe for a future upgrade / Brainstorm?

So there is no reason to be so rude in my opinion.

best regards crown

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crown77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Sweden
A walkie talkie app would be cool. not very useful though. I'm not sure about the distance the N900 is able to send FM, but it is probably not very long.

Originally Posted by crown77 View Post
hi guys he specs telling us that it isnt possible at the moment to share calls over the fm transmitter. But that one Guy asked about the technical possibility maybe for a future upgrade / Brainstorm?

best regards crown
I don't recall asking about that possibility.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Northern Ireland
Originally Posted by crown77 View Post

best regards crown
agreed. people want new users to adopt the n900 & maemo but when they can't see how to do something, and then subsequently ask, they are met with a 'go find out for yourself' response.

i will hopefully be a n900 user within a couple of weeks, and hope others are more helpful if I have a few simple questions.

giving a bad name to the maemo community.

The Following User Says Thank You to r-t-q For This Useful Post:
Yes, there's some people here that thinks that not knowing the answer is a good reason to blame who questioned it. I saw some of them too.

Anyway, im a noob so don't take me too seriously, these are my two cents:
i personally dont think its impossible to transmit calls through fm transmitter. its just that someone has to write an app for it, cause at the moment is not made for that. consider also that a similar app should automatically increase mic volume in order to make it possible for you to speak at some distance from the phone and in a noisy environment as a tripping car is. anyway i think a big limit to this to be developed could be the poor quality of the fm transmitter itself (as of now).

sorry for my bad english and the casual bullshits i could have said.

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Montreal, canada
I think that question is very relevant. I tried it myself a month ago and it can't but I think it is possible with a application by the way fm transmitter is very good with FM boost application I can get about 150 feet from my car and still broadcast

hmmm .. just a concern for FM transmitting .. couldnt anyone just listen into your conversation .. (even if just accidentally) ... its not encrypted like BlueTooth pairings ..