Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by Skry View Post
Well, I don't know how good the deal was, so, if you get that almost for nothing you might as well buy it as long as you don't expect miracles from it. On the other hand, if you keep looking for awhile, you'll probably find something similar or even better in the same price range. IMO about the only positive side in modern tech is that it's dirt cheap.
yeah it was a solid deal now looking in the ideapad s10-2 (atom 280 and gma 950) its dirt cheap and in good condition i didnt looked at the ideapad as its 10.1 inch wheras the dell is 12 inch . I still have both the options and i dont want miracles either i would like normal linux system for casual use to get familear with i really hate that messy xp 7 and like to dich m$ altogther (xp will be there for some time either as a dual boot or on a external drive as i would be using those flashing boxes a bit ) so please have a look at both of them and tell me which is better and what would you expect from that .I will get that

Actualy my big confusion now is gma 950 i dont know will it support 3d hw rendering open gl for genome unity and videos (will it be on par with xp ?) thanx

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Well, I'd say GMA950 should work better than poulsbo, and the driver is open source and all features should be supported. However, some say it's a PITA to get working, some say it's too slow for them. I don't have experience of it, but I know Intel driver support for older gpus is not that good as it is for newer ones. So, it might not be fast enough for Gnome3, Unity and other nonsense like that (?), but it should run any sane desktop just fine.

This all said, I have a laptop with ATI MACH64 4MB and it runs dwm fine and manages to somewhat handle internet browsing fullscreen at 1027x768, so something being fast or not is highly subjective. If you do a google search, there's plenty of satisfied ideapad users running linux. You might need to try few distros to see what runs properly, and generally you should just forget Gnome/Unity/KDE on such hardware, and go lightweight. So, Arch and Crunchbang, and also lighter Ubuntu variants like Lubuntu, are probably what you want to try with it. Also, there's a boatload of distros out there for netbooks with varying system requirements, so you might want to look at those too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
btw, I have a new phone, and a bit more spare time now. So, maybe it's time to continue with this one. Any users still out there?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
GMA 950
Yuck! Those work pretty badly on both Windows and Linux. Avoid at all costs.

Try to find a 15.0" Thinkpad T60p in good condition, you'll be able to upgrade it with a QXGA panel, Intel Core2Duo T7600 and a SSD and Coreboot

If you need more than 3GB RAM, get a T61 with Intel X3100 graphics - these still perform really well today!

btw, I have a new phone, and a bit more spare time now. So, maybe it's time to continue with this one. Any users still out there?
am still here trying to install on emmc :P

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ P town
I'm still here waiting for new build and hope that new build will fix my weird problem

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
am still here trying to install on emmc :P
Have you previous try Arch on SD card?
Any noticable performance increase?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sLumPia For This Useful Post:
nonsence ha ? Yeah i also dont like em much either i like lxde its fast clean and easy only wanted to know they would run or not. So you say you can fly with a 4mb then definately mine is a supercomputer . and HURRIAN thanx for the suggesion but i cant afford it atm and nither me is a computer wooodo so the specs should go fine with me moreover its my first pc :--) so big thing isint a good go as i know it will die a terrible death its light and small portable with a nice battery maching my usecase for now and more horrible thing is that i admitted myself to c++ classes starting from the new year so i need it hoping to learn something meaningful useful SO without spoiling the thread further i am locking the ideapad thanx for all the fish.

How can I enable the tun module for openvpn? I have no clue about it

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hi,

I finally got a second n900 without uSD to play around with. Is it possible to install arch linux only on mmc or would it be better to by a 16gb uSD with at least class 10? The second n900 has no sim so is there a way to get the needed files via usb on the device and install from there?

ThXs!