Notices

I don't post on these boards very often, frankly I practically never post. I am so noob when it comes to the NIT platform I come here mainly to learn as much as possible. I figured this was my way of "giving" back"... So after two addicting, non-stop (well of course I stopped), heart pounding, gut wrenching days - This is what I've managed to accomplish

High Score of 20,425 - Chapter 4 Level 7

Screenshot below:

Most my time was spent on Chapter 1 - I just could not figure the darn game out... Once I figured out how to play, I've been unstoppable! Post here if you need help or you're puzzled. I've managed to get pretty proficient in the game, not to pound my own chest, but if you are stumped - POST UP!
Attached Images

Ok quick update 22,125
Attached Images

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
Does anyone have a clear idea what difference the difficulty levels make? This is at Brainstorm level, but I don't know if that just means you get fewer moves to complete each level or if you also get more bonus points for each move left at the end: i.e. I have no idea if the scores are comparable.
Attached Images

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
Originally Posted by jaysen
Once I figured out how to play[...]
Since this is, according to the thread title, the Official help/hint thread, perhaps including the basic game premise (help) and any/some discovered strategies (hint) would be in order...

The Following User Says Thank You to briand For This Useful Post:
1. Work out where the finishing position should be. Often there is only one possible final position, but sometimes there are several and the most obvious one may not be the best.
2. Work out the last few moves to get to the final position. If marble A needs marble B somewhere other than the final position to stop it, then marble A can't be the last one placed. If there is no way to reach your target position at all then look for a different final position.
3. Remember that marbles of the same colour are interchangeable, so the most obvious marble for a location isn't always the best.
4. Don't get dazzled by all those fancy one-way ramps and teleports. Just because they are on the board doesn't mean you *have* to use them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duncan For This Useful Post:
Marbles difficulty levels:
  • Brainstorm:You play against the author's solution made after some time passed. He had to play the levels for real so this is a fair move limit.
  • Hard:You play against his solution +25% moves (-5% per chapter).
  • Normal: You play against his solution +50% moves (-10% per chapter).
  • Easy: You play against his solution +100% (-20% per chapter).

Hard gives you twice the score and Brainstorm five times the score of a Normal game. Easy cuts your score in half.

You play against a move limit and you'll gain the following score when you finish a level:
Code:
Difficulty      Level Bonus     Bonus per remaining move
Easy             500             25
Normal          1000             50
Hard            2000            100
Brainstorm      5000            250
You will not gain points twice for the same level!

You have unlimited tries to solve a level! The order in which you solve levels of one chapter does not matter! There are small lights in the right lower corner of the screen of one of the following colors: red(cannot be accessed), orange (can be accessed, not solved yet) and green (already solved, you will not gain any score for solving it again). Just click on a light and confirm to change the level. To enter a new chapter ALL previous levels have to be solved.

Obstacles

If a marble moves on an arrow it will change its direction to the direction the arrow points at. If a marble comes from the direction the arrow points at it will stop before the arrow.

Yellow and black stripes aloingside an arrow mean this tile can neither be accessed from these sides nor from the side the arrow points at. So there is only one way to get past this obstacle.

If a marble encounters a teleport it will teleport to the second one of the same color and keep on moving in the same direction.

A crumbling wall takes one, two or three hits before it vanishes completely. The number of hits left is displayed by a small digit in the lower right corner of the crumbling wall.

This is taken from the original documentation by Michael Speck, but I think it is accurate for osso-lmarbles (see http://lgames.sourceforge.net/index....les&sub=Manual)

The documentation also describes the file format for creating your own Marbles levels but I haven't found any signs that anyone else ever created any.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Duncan For This Useful Post:
Anyone can help me out with chapter 1, Level 3 ?

Chapter 1 level 3:

|--.PM.--|

Hopefully that will show up right; and I think that I remembered the colors correctly.

The Following User Says Thank You to lbdwag For This Useful Post:
I need help on Chapter 3 level 8; I think that is the correct level, either way it is the last level in Chapter 3....

How are you guys getting screen shots? It would be easier putting them up then making stupid looking text versions.

I figured out the screen shots: Maemo Screengrabber

Chapter 1 Level 3:

The level that I need help on:
Chapter 3 Level 8:
Attached Images