Poll: Which phone makes more sense to buy?
Poll Options
Which phone makes more sense to buy?

N900 hands down. the n9 doesnt even have flash and necer will. trust me n900 capable of more.

The Following User Says Thank You to rafpac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by rafpac View Post
N900 hands down. the n9 doesnt even have flash and necer will. trust me n900 capable of more.
Agree what's the point buying a N9 when you're the developer type of person. None whatsoever as far as I know.
N9 is a regular boring smart phone trying to compete with the iCrap and likes. Nah, go for an N900 for sure.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
Agree what's the point buying a N9 when you're the developer type of person. None whatsoever as far as I know.
N9 is a regular boring smart phone trying to compete with the iCrap and likes. Nah, go for an N900 for sure.
Thanks, I think I will. From what I've been hearing the wifi isn't that great in the N9, and it isn't completely rootable (correct me if I'm wrong about that).

Deciding between n9 and n900 is just like deciding between windows XP & Vista.

Cool this is my 999th post from a thread talking about the n9[00] generations

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
From what I've been hearing the wifi isn't that great in the N9,
General performance is good, stability is the issue.
It's been fine-tuned in PR1.1, which rumours are suggesting will most likely be available within the next mth, tops
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...32#post1109732
Orig. article that post's based on (this in-particular's an important read)
http://konttoristhoughts.blogspot.co...few-other.html

and it isn't completely rootable (correct me if I'm wrong about that).
Did you not read post #10 of this thread?
See this thread, important read from pg 8 onwards
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4575&page=8

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-17 at 10:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
the N900 is the must have workhorse.

the N9 is nice but totally optional.

Better get a second hand N900 now, while they are cheap and easily available.
A new N9 later when they get cheaper, more available, less mythical and more updated.

I doubt I will ever have more than one N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
It's an apples to oranges comparison and I'd say it depends on the use-case which one 'makes more sense'. TBH, the only reason I turn my N900 on nowadays is to verify community package builds for mobility and such, and I'm most certainly a developer Also, some of the N900 features brought up here are easter eggs, never officially supported by Nokia so it's a bit weird to count those against the N9 (which hasn't even been properly started to be hacked around).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I find it a bit weird when people say "N900 for developers". Do you guys really develop on your phone?

The N9 just strikes me as the far more interesting device to create software for, which I assumed would be what developers are more interested in.

There are use cases where the N900 really shines, like the frequently mentioned remote administration over SSH, but they don't strike me as particularly developer centric.

So what I would be asking is, what do you want to use the device for as a user, rather than as a developer. But of course if you actually want to write software using your phone, the N9 is a really bad choice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
But of course if you actually want to write software using your phone, the N9 is a really bad choice.
Agree with all your sentiments, but not so sure on this one. Why do you say this?
Are you talking about the ease with which it is to literally write software actually on the N900, compared to the N9?

Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I find it a bit weird when people say "N900 for developers". Do you guys really develop on your phone?

The N9 just strikes me as the far more interesting device to create software for, which I assumed would be what developers are more interested in.

There are use cases where the N900 really shines, like the frequently mentioned remote administration over SSH, but they don't strike me as particularly developer centric.

So what I would be asking is, what do you want to use the device for as a user, rather than as a developer. But of course if you actually want to write software using your phone, the N9 is a really bad choice.
Well...I like for the N900 that I can take a desktop PyGTK app and with minimal tweaks (backporting the Python) I can make it run on the N900...can the N9 do that? What is the devel environment like on the N9?