I think everyone would much more appreciate fact over opinion in this topic

what is, most literally, the best SD card "out there" in context of:

-Speed
-Reliability AND durability
-capacity

all at the same time. I keep hearing so much rubbish about how one card does this, and another this.. and all the same time, the most popular cards seem to fail most often.

ghag!

So.. what'll it be?

The Following User Says Thank You to SeCALPHA1 For This Useful Post:
I'm not sure what you're getting at here!

Higher speed = better
Higher capacity = better

Both of those are easy to identify with modern SDHC cards. Class 6 cards are the fastest. 32GB cards are the biggest. That bit is easy.

Reliability is very hard to gauge. All a card is is some silicon inside a plastic shell, almost identical between all the different cards. Any widescale problems would be widely reported, instead of one person here and there saying "my card fell apart do not buy", which isn't exactly something you should base a decision upon. SD cards are simple (physically), compared to cameras and the like.

I believe all cards are more or less created equal. I just aim for the size and speed I want, and if it's from a manufacturer I trust, I'll buy it, knowing it's almost certainly (99.99%>) going to survive long after I no longer need it.

haha! I suppose I was a bit vague

Well indeed, I've heard a number of things from mostly idiots claiming "dont buy this cause it broke (they broke it, lol)" or "it wont read anymore, dont buy"

I've heard a lot of thigns about specific companies and how those specific companies' brand is much more cheaply made, or, seemingly enough, their cards in particular tend to not last long/develop serious problems concerning storage, durability (cards splitting open and such) and 'bricking' some, so-to-speak.

I was just curious as to which brands tend to be more reliable than others, or which can load properly (some 2gb as well as 4 and 8, depending on the company/brand, seem to load 25% less than others. Whereas one may load 987mb on a 1gb card, another brand will only load 768mb, but the 768mb card seems to go faster etc..)

get my drift?

I was looking into dual 16gb.. but jesus christ, where have you heard of 32gb? how stable are they?

And there lies my initial concern.. stability.

From what I've done my homework from, either its the brand, which I'm assuming first, that tends to lack in manufacturing finesse (which is my general inquiry to begin with; are there better brands from others, and which), or is it the user who seems to somehow do something wrong to make cards break/die/(in rare cases, I guess, lock the media on the card)

Let me know; any help will be greatly appreciated.

[EDIT]: and also, which highest capacity cards would work best with my N800 as well as have the best available card speed?

Last edited by SeCALPHA1; 2008-01-14 at 13:38.

any kingston (japan) SDs and microSDs are very nice

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by SeCALPHA1 View Post
haha! I suppose I was a bit vague

Well indeed, I've heard a number of things from mostly idiots claiming "dont buy this cause it broke (they broke it, lol)" or "it wont read anymore, dont buy"

I've heard a lot of thigns about specific companies and how those specific companies' brand is much more cheaply made, or, seemingly enough, their cards in particular tend to not last long/develop serious problems concerning storage, durability (cards splitting open and such) and 'bricking' some, so-to-speak.

I was just curious as to which brands tend to be more reliable than others, or which can load properly (some 2gb as well as 4 and 8, depending on the company/brand, seem to load 25% less than others. Whereas one may load 987mb on a 1gb card, another brand will only load 768mb, but the 768mb card seems to go faster etc..)

get my drift?

I was looking into dual 16gb.. but jesus christ, where have you heard of 32gb? how stable are they?

And there lies my initial concern.. stability.

From what I've done my homework from, either its the brand, which I'm assuming first, that tends to lack in manufacturing finesse (which is my general inquiry to begin with; are there better brands from others, and which), or is it the user who seems to somehow do something wrong to make cards break/die/(in rare cases, I guess, lock the media on the card)

Let me know; any help will be greatly appreciated.

[EDIT]: and also, which highest capacity cards would work best with my N800 as well as have the best available card speed?

How is anyone supposed to respond to you? You say you want facts and not opinion. Well... unless someone has the funds to buy multiple cards at multiple speeds all you are going to get is opinion.

I bought an 8GB Patriot, class 6 card for my N800 @ around $40 and couldn't be happier. Since my existing card readers do not support SDHC (< right there is a big reason why some report bad cards.) I was concerned about the speed to transfer files from my PC to the tablet...
In fact, using the USB cable with this card seemed just as fast as my old USB card reader and a 2GB card I have.

I use two Kingston 8 gig Class 6 cards (Kingston Part Number: SD6/8GB) in my N800 and I'm quite happy with the performance. Since I also do not have an SDHC card reader on PC, I was also quite concerned with file transfer performance and at first it was simply brutal to the point where it was unusable. However, when I enable write caching on my PC for the N800 internal and external SD card slots, problem is solved. I now get quite acceptable transfer rates between my PC and N800.

A word of caution mind you. With write caching enabled you MUST manually stop the SD card interface on your PC PRIOR to disconnecting from the PC. Mind you, that is a process I would recommend even if I wasn't using SDHC cards anyway. I prefer to have a visual guarantee that all data has been written prior to disconnecting my N800.

Crouching Hamster

The Following User Says Thank You to sirhunter2010 For This Useful Post:
16 GB Patriot Class 6 here. (Internal slot, I'm using the MiniSD + adapter that came with for file transfer with the external slot.) Works fine.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I got the cheapest 4gb sdhc card I could get my hands on, which is apparently called the PQ1 it says on it?, and it's been working great for a month.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I got the cheapest 4gb sdhc card I could get my hands on, which is apparently called the PQ1 it says on it?, and it's been working great for a month.
I heard that this brand likes to fail at 2 months of use. Please keep us posted after another month.

I've found SanDisk to know and support their product very well, produce standards compliant parts while others have just been close, accurately state the performance and environmental specs for their parts, and have the best overall reliability. My experience has been from building linux based data acquisition systems for harsh climates. I've used them for swap, constant read/write, even compiling software, and they haven't skipped a beat.

-Jonathan

The Following User Says Thank You to bokubob For This Useful Post: