Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Yes this is very true to say because we all know the hatred even on here for Microsoft due to the very reasons you have said and there is the problem no matter what or how good the WP device is that many will boycott it because of the already exsisting hatred for MS.

People say Elop is doing the right thing and in some parts he is by getting out staff within Nokia that have failed Nokia in the past with software development BUT he seems to have put all his eggs in one basket with this joint venture and totally obliterated all of Nokia's os's from one end to the other.

Looking at it from a pure business perspective he has obvivously left himself nothing but WP and that is looking to be a fatal situation, relying on purely one os and nothing else.

No news from the Nokia stable of anything but WP so we are all in for a rough ride i think.

Incidently i have also noticed more and more Nokia outlets are shut down and still shutting down so it is not looking good is it, rather like what everyone seems to be saying ... The beggining of the end.

How far will this so called Nokia loyalty go i wonder !, let's see how many fanboys are going to be left .
Relax, look around. It is becoming more and more obvious. S40 = Harmattan.

who would?

when android welcome people with open arms. for free.

nokia / microsoft still dream of turning 100m symbian users to windows phone

The Following User Says Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Mango rox. Full head on attack Victory is near

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110...medium=twitter

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post

What the hell is Mango? Is it for real or is that link a joke? lol

u know ericsson, there is ALREADY wp7 on the market right. for almost a year now

11+ models.

and iphone outsell all together x20.

even if u put all nokia phone sold last quarter and w7 sales together

iphone still outsell it. by few thousands handsets.

I think it is easier to stick to the truth. Nokia couldn't make Symbian or MeeGo competitive vs Android or iOS. Regarding Symbian that is all too obvious.
Why is that obvious? Symbian was comprehensively outselling it's competitors right up until the moment Elop announced he was killing it.

MeeGo is visually as good as any mobile OS I've seen and, being a fully-leaded Linux distro, it's got real punching power. To suggest it can't compete with Android and iOS is frankly just silly.

Personally I like Symbian a lot and think it is just perfect, I don't mind clunkyness.
Well, there you have it - there are tens of millions of people just like you and I who value the functionality and affordability of NOKIA's Symbian phones and were prepared to live with the compromise of S60. QtQuick had the potential to eliminate that short-coming too.

The N9 UI looks nothing less than awesome, but the N9 is here no matter what happens to plan A.
I love the look of the N9 too but Elop is deliberately limiting the availability of the contractual obligation phone to make sure it wont be a success.

Everything Elop says and does clearly suggests he is working in Microsoft's interest not NOKIA's.

The Following User Says Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Did he select MeeGo, which is everything Symbian was, except far easier for developers, and even more open and even more standardized with the industry? In fact, MeeGo is by far the most open platform of any smartphone OS and ecosystems counting all the new ones today.

No. Stephen Elop selected the most restrictive, most limited, least successful, most anti-developer, most anti-carrier ecosystem out there. In Microsoft WP7, when considered as an ecosystem, Nokia was going backwards, and all benefits of the Microsoft-Nokia partnership would indeed help build a better ecosystem but not for Nokia.

All gains would go to Microsoft, using Nokia's assets and years of work, to fast-track the Microsoft OS and ecosystem to be more viable. This was not a decision made in the best interests of Nokia. Not if ecosystem is the decision criterion. The beneficiary of Elop's decision, if thinking ecosystems was all Microsoft. That is why we have to consider Stephen Elop the Microsoft Muppet. He is being controlled by his former boss Steve Ballmer, the Microsoft Muppet Master.

If you think ecosystems, Nokia has thrown away the strongest current platform, and instead of replacing it with an even better one, Nokia has instead selected the weakest ecosystem out there. As American saying goes, can they polish a turd and create a winner? I think this is key evidence of Stephen Elop's incompetence as a Nokia CEO and is another reason why he needs to be fired now, while it is still possible to reverse that decision, and save what is left of Nokia's decade-long work into building an open source based true multiparty ecosystem.

Source: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...-at-nokia.aspx
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Also...
Anssi Vanjoki: “My hair stands on end” over Nokia’s fall

Vanjoki was a frontrunner for the Nokia CEO position after former chief Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo was ousted from the firm. However, the Nokia Board opted for ex-Microsoft exec Stephen Elop – who promptly led the company into the loving arms of Windows Phone 7 – and Vanjoki resigned, claiming “the time has come to seek new opportunities.”
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
On the bright side - having Nokia around can be good, so the other bigger boys won't get complacent and repeat Nokia's case?

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
MeeGo is visually as good as any mobile OS I've seen and, being a fully-leaded Linux distro, it's got real punching power. To suggest it can't compete with Android and iOS is frankly just silly.
Unfortunately these days it isn't just about the platform itself, but the ecosystem around it. This doesn't only mean availability of apps, but also things like browser detection all around the web.

This is why life is a bit hard for people on less popular mobile operating systems. I should know, my current devices are a Harmattan phone and a webOS tablet

Of course, MeeGo has a great opportunity for building the ecosystem around it, but that needs devices developers (both app and web) want to target.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, goodbye nokia, no-kia