Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Does anyone know if there is already an application like Android's Locale for maemo? I would LOVE a version of that (with plugin framework that also allows general scripting).

Use cases:
when your speed is over a certain amount, set "driving" profile (perhaps minus conditions that you're altitude is really high ). This could turn on your FM transmitter, make loud ringer, enable bluetooth, update google latitude, etc.

when you get within a certain radius of a defined position (e.g. your office), set the "work" profile. This could set the ringer to silent, disable bluetooth, etc.

when you get near your home, set the "home" profile. This could set ringer to loud, rsync some folders to your home pc, enable call forwarding, etc.

This would be my DREAM productivity app. If it doesn't exist, I don't have tons of time now to fully develop this kind of solution, but I'm willing to help out if someone else takes the reigns.

Anyone interested in a project like this? I would assume based on Qt4.6 to be able to transition to meego.

Last edited by chemist; 2010-03-22 at 13:20. Reason: status

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoboxen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
I think someone might be working on a Locale clone. I noticed in extras-devel an "actionmanager" app that has a description that sounds somewhat like Locale.

I'm tempted to start working on a Locale clone myself. I've already started taking notes on the design. I've also purposed it as a GSoC project.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epage View Post
I think someone might be working on a Locale clone. I noticed in extras-devel an "actionmanager" app that has a description that sounds somewhat like Locale.
It seems that actionmanager is a very limited subset of what I was picturing. I would think the project would be a sort of grammar...

when [CONDITION(S) -- with and/or logic] and not [EXCLUSION CONDITION(S)] do [ACTION(S)].

Actionmanager seems to be just doing a particular action when something happens. Also, it probably isn't as extensible as I'd like.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Scotland
This is a great idea. I would be willing to help too, though don't have much time currently to devote to this.

My thoughts were in the realm of a full Locale clone with support for DBus/Python/C triggers and actions.

You can find some of my notes on my user page
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Epage

EDIT: GSoC Proposal
http://wiki.maemo.org/GSoC_2010/Project_ideas

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epage View Post
My thoughts were in the realm of a full Locale clone with support for DBus/Python/C triggers and actions.
Would you mind starting a garage project and we can get started? That way people would have a place to contribute. I think this project will quickly become indispensable for MANY people, so I'm sure it will gather steam and some great developers quickly.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
guys,

there is already a multi usage super duper multi input scheduler in the works by Attila, called Shepherd. search the forum for the thread.
He has build a nice Qt gui frontend for it but is now stuck in the pre-1.2 vacuum because he prefers (for obvious reasons) to go with 4.6. but as the whole package naming around 4.6 is changing I guess he's waiting till 1.2 is out.
Anyone correct/improve what I'm saying please if they know more.
I'll be one of the first to use his framework I hope because I want far more sophisticated connection management and I hope Shepherd, in it current form, or improved versions, will allow me so.

Attila, please chip in, you're holding the keys

Geert

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Wouldn't this require continuous GPS usage?

And wouldn't this drain juice like crazy?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

my gps is always active already. it works fine. also, if you don't want to use location triggers you don't have to.

I've not looked at what shepherd does but you could design it to minimize time on the GPS or even poll the GPS. If you are traveling at 5 MPH or are thousands of miles from the target you don't exactly need to have the GPS in continuous use. Also if a all actions require other cheaper triggers to fire, why bother checking the GPS until they do.