Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You might wanna rethink that double negative.
hahaha! you're good.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by the Ovi team
Shortly after launching the Ovi Store at 2 am ET, we began experiencing extraordinarily high spikes of traffic that resulted in some performance issues for users accessing store.ovi.com and store.ovi.mobi. We immediately began to address this issue by adding servers, which resulted in intermittent performance improvements. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused Ovi Store users and encourage you to continue giving us feedback as we develop the service further.

The Ovi Store device client, however, has continued to perform very well and there were no reported issues from users logged on through that entry point.
He did post this update from the Ovi team.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
He did post this update from the Ovi team.
True enough. But at that point, and given the title, the damage was done.

In any case, I hope the store rolls along, and I REALLY hope they get around to adding Maemo (maemo? mAeMo?) stuff. Although, to be honest, the real money for Ovi is in basic mobile content for Nokia's 1.8 gazillion not-smart-but-sorta-clever-and-with-a-great-personality-phones, running the S40 system.

And yes, it is 1.8 gazillion. Look it up.

The Following User Says Thank You to TenSpeed For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
... another thing (not important, but tells a lot about the quality control):

The category that's called "utilities" in the English version got translated to "öffentliche Einrichtungen" in the German UI, a phrase that could be roughly translated back as "public organizations". ("Reference" becomes something that's widely understood as "link")

Having a flashlight and a handwriting calculator listed as "public organizations" is sort of fun, but doesn't help building a reputation of reliability and trustworthiness.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
Doing a google search for the terms "nokia ovi store" leads to a top hit of a Maintenance site.

Ooops, not good.

* Make an iPhone clone -- CHECK.
* Dive into services industry -- CHECK.
* Sell music -- CHECK.
* Make an app store -- CHECK.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
* Be competitive -- CHECK

YARR!
}:^)~
Capt'n -- CHECK

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
The category that's called "utilities" in the English version got translated to "öffentliche Einrichtungen" in the German UI, a phrase that could be roughly translated back as "public organizations". ("Reference" becomes something that's widely understood as "link")
I suppose now we know where Sun's German translation team works after Sun was acquired by Oracle. This kind of translation is typical of Sun administration web interfaces.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
In defense of the store site, note that when the Windows 7 beta was released, the web was full of frustrated users and people saying that the release of the beta was a complete disaster. But it was soon taken care of, and I think that Windows 7 has been very successful so far. I'm typing this in Windows 7.

I would say that brouhahas about the first day release of z are a journalistic cliche and the articles could be written by filling in forms:

"

Release of Z has been a complete disaster!

Users worldwide have been complaining about using the new Z site since it was announced yesterday. "I'll never try Z again," grumbled Joe Nemo, 56, of Anytown, US. "This has been a nightmare!

"

and so on.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
* Be competitive -- CHECK

YARR!
}:^)~
Capt'n -- CHECK
You've got a valid point... but if it were me I'd rather be CREATING the competitive factor than chasing it...

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-05-27 at 14:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: