Has anyone using Nokia n900 on Bell/Telus HSPA+ Network? I have seen iphones on their network. What speed does Nokia n900 work on Bell/Telus new 3G network?

What spectrum is Bell/Telus new 3G network is on AWS? If you have it running please write your speed and location.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
According to previous discussions (search for N900 in Canada - Toronto), the Bellus network will not work for data on the N900. Bell/Telus are still using 850/1900 frequencies, and their networks are apparently 3G only, so they won't drop back to EDGE 2.5G data. That means you can only use the N900 as a regular GSM phone on their networks, not for any data. The iPhone uses the 850/1900 bands for 3G, which is why it works.

I don't think that Bell, Telus, or Rogers has made any use of their newly purchased AWS spectrum, so for the moment, your only choice for data is 2.5G EDGE on Rogers/Fido.

The Following User Says Thank You to TenSpeed For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Vancouver, Canada
I'm in Vancouver, just bought an N900 about a week ago. Tried to hook up the phone to Telus' Band II and Band V (see this), but it wouldn't connect. I called them up and talked about their network, and apparently only (unlocked, SIM) HSPA devices with their 3G bandwidths will work on their new network, at all. N900 uses Band IV, which means Telus won't even support fallback compatibility with slower technologies like EDGE. Only CDMA phones can fall back onto those. So, for the N900, that means it's not compatible at all, in any form, with Telus. It's kind of a joke, really. On paper, the phone and network looks compatible, but Telus just doesn't support it.

I was planning on switching to WIND (read: Band IV) anyway when it launches in Vancouver (still waiting...), but this means I can't use my N900 on a cell network for a few months, which really blows.

Anyway, so if you were still thinking about it, forget about Telus/Bell and hop on WIND's new network.

How is that "a joke"? You clearly knew information about the device before purchasing it, and you knew information about the network. Some how it's their fault for not putting up an "antiquated" network when they are trying to move to faster and arguably, better technologies?

Bell/Telus decided to stick with the CDMA and W-CDMA air interface for their HSPA network. Why roll out a GSM network, when there is absolutely no need for it?

The N900 ONLY USES 850/1900 for GSM comms. It was never mislead and was quite clear that it only supported 3G on AWS 1700/2100MHz bands.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
I use EDGE on Rogers network. It's reliable, but it's really slow. Anyway, it makes the job, I use internet for Pecan and stuff like that, I go on web pages some times but got to be patient.
Works well, though.

Originally Posted by autonomy View Post
I'm in Vancouver, just bought an N900 about a week ago. Tried to hook up the phone to Telus' Band II and Band V (see this), but it wouldn't connect. I called them up and talked about their network, and apparently only (unlocked, SIM) HSPA devices with their 3G bandwidths will work on their new network, at all. N900 uses Band IV, which means Telus won't even support fallback compatibility with slower technologies like EDGE. Only CDMA phones can fall back onto those. So, for the N900, that means it's not compatible at all, in any form, with Telus. It's kind of a joke, really. On paper, the phone and network looks compatible, but Telus just doesn't support it.

I was planning on switching to WIND (read: Band IV) anyway when it launches in Vancouver (still waiting...), but this means I can't use my N900 on a cell network for a few months, which really blows.

Anyway, so if you were still thinking about it, forget about Telus/Bell and hop on WIND's new network.
hi, i was planning on purchasing the N900 phone and also live in Vancouver...wondering if you were able to find another cell phone network that can support the phone yet? other than waiting for Wind. Thanks.

Originally Posted by mw604 View Post
hi, i was planning on purchasing the N900 phone and also live in Vancouver...wondering if you were able to find another cell phone network that can support the phone yet? other than waiting for Wind. Thanks.
If you're not going to wait for Wind or Mobilicity then your only options are Rogers or Fido.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Thunder Bay
I'm in the middle of nowhere (thunder bay) and Im on Rogers, no data so 3G doesnt make a difference for me. I mostly use wifi at home and where I can find it.