Posts: 51 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Australia
Regards Mesh WiFi check out the Serval Mesh! They presently have an app for Android that works a treat but is limited by its reliance on WiFi. Ultimately they would like to reprogram the GSM transponders on phones, so they can intercommunicate using the 900 MHz GSM bands thereby increasing range dramatically!

http://www.servalproject.org/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Markosib For This Useful Post:
this will be great , espally an anti-tracing and anti-tap software for n900 is this possible at all ?

The Following User Says Thank You to 4n77r4xX For This Useful Post:
4n77r4xX: No such thing can exist--if you radiate a signal, you can be tracked with it. Period. Even without GPS your signal can still be triangulated, especially within a city with small cells. Likewise, anti-tap is a misnomer since calls and such are tapped at the switch, not over the air. If you're talking about that software (hardware?) to use your phone as a bug, that's a whole other level that requires device access of some sort.

Markosib: There are a couple of problems with directly accessing the cell radios (regardless of technology).

1. There's unlikely to be direct connections between the main processor and the radio's due to fraud potential. This is why the N900 and Neo Freerunner have external, self-contained radios.

2. 600mW is way above the Part-15 unlicensed limit for the 900 MHz ISM band here in the USA; I'm assuming that's true elsewhere this band is available. The FCC or its equivalent in other countries would definitely come calling. This band is also used by licensed hams in the US and Canada as well, so you could get away with the higher power limits if you could ID properly and meet the requirements of the service (no crypto, no bad words, no music, no commercial use, etc).

Note that I'm not against any of this from a tech standpoint, and Serval looks very interesting! However, the potential for abuse of the band (if the cell radio is used) is high. OTOH, if they strictly use the unlicensed bands within their power limits, or with higher power limits within their political limits, this could be wonderful! (Of course, if you're routing around nasty abusive government controls, then all bets are off!)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to storkus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
The 900mhz GSM band is allocated to the amateur radio service in the US, 902.0-928.0 MHz 1500watt(yes one THOUSAND five hundred real watts no mili or micro anything) is the max on 900! There has been talk and experimentation with using European GSM (maybe more in the 400mhz region) gear for modded HT radios but also for free networks in the US for anyone who wants to spend $5 to test and take an easy 25 question tech exam from an open national question pool. http://www.arrl.org/frequency-allocations https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_bands

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by Markosib View Post
Regards Mesh WiFi check out the Serval Mesh! They presently have an app for Android that works a treat but is limited by its reliance on WiFi. Ultimately they would like to reprogram the GSM transponders on phones, so they can intercommunicate using the 900 MHz GSM bands thereby increasing range dramatically!

http://www.servalproject.org/
I was stuck in an airplane for six hours two weeks ago, and was thinking about a peer-to-peer WiFi network that could connect all passengers with smartphones and allow for various social activities. The Serval Mesh is a very good answer to what I was looking for.

Thanks for this thread, it is really nice to come back to TMO and find out that the same ideas are alive that brought me lurking here almost five years ago...

The Following User Says Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post: