Notices

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Taomyn View Post
I'm still not seeing the score multiplier at the bottom right since you increased the font size.
Ah, now i see it.

gweled (0.4.2) unstable; urgency=low

* Use small font width and height instead of magic numbers to determine
bonus display offset.

-- Flandry <davidfalkayn@gmail.com> Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:47:03 -0500

Personally I wonder if the end game screen should show as:

Game Over
No moves left

No need for the exclamation marks, though with the font size increase, not sure if "No moves left" would still fit.
I don't think "No moves left" would fit. The triple "!" is actually a single glyph.

I think it gets the point across when all the gwels fall off the screen...

Thanks for clarifying about the bonus. I don't really get time to play gweled enough to catch these things.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
infected: depends on how much more interest is expressed in complicating the game with special cases like that. I like the basic game for its simplicity so it's not a feature that interests me. I've added it to the possible todos in the second post; let's see how popular the idea is.
thx i really love this game.... i will cross my fingers

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Ah, now i see it.

gweled (0.4.2) unstable; urgency=low

* Use small font width and height instead of magic numbers to determine
bonus display offset.

-- Flandry <davidfalkayn@gmail.com> Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:47:03 -0500

I don't think "No moves left" would fit. The triple "!" is actually a single glyph.

I think it gets the point across when all the gwels fall off the screen...

Thanks for clarifying about the bonus. I don't really get time to play gweled enough to catch these things.
I'm afraid it's still not right

Last edited by Taomyn; 2015-09-07 at 06:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the update!

The fonts are still difficult to read for me, not (any longer) due to the size, but because of the colour/shading. The biggest problem now though is the visual effect of the points, floating upwards all the time.. they disturb me very much, to the point of making the game more and more unplayable. Is there a way to turn it off?

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
I'm afraid it's still not right
I can't really tell what's wrong from the tiny pics. Can you explain what it used to look like vs. how it looks now? All that has been changed in this is the size of the font afaik.

TA-t3: I haven't changed anything about the points except the font size. Is it the bigger font that makes it disturbing?

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

I can't really tell what's wrong from the tiny pics. Can you explain what it used to look like vs. how it looks now? All that has been changed in this is the size of the font afaik.

TA-t3: I haven't changed anything about the points except the font size. Is it the bigger font that makes it disturbing?
It just looks dreadful. This first one is what it looked like when I restarted Gweled, the multiplier is displayed behind the bar, the second was when I filled the bar up again, but this time it gets display in front of the bar. The font it too big now.

Perhaps the bar should be extended all the way across and either the x2 text placed in the bar or maybe placed in the space on the left between "Score" and the word "Restart" - the 3rd image?

Last edited by Taomyn; 2015-09-07 at 06:41.

Ah, got it. I'm going to add in the small font size again and use it for the multiplier and score, and just use the medium font for messages.

Would you prefer the multiplier go under the score in bigger font or is it fine in the original place and size?

Ah, got it. I'm going to add in the small font size again and use it for the multiplier and score, and just use the medium font for messages.

Would you prefer the multiplier go under the score in bigger font or is it fine in the original place and size?
Personally I think it should go under the score nice and big unless you have plans for something else to go there, as it was difficult to read at times when smaller and then you can make the bar longer.

Personally I think it should go under the score nice and big unless you have plans for something else to go there, as it was difficult to read at times when smaller and then you can make the bar longer.
Basically my intuition for GUI layout is null; i appreciate input on it.

So perhaps i'll look into moving it for the next iteration. For now i just want to get it unbroken so the fix to the end of game timing is in Extras...

gweled (0.4.3) unstable; urgency=low

* Re-added small font size.
* Return points and multiplier bonus to small font while keeping medium
font for messages.

-- Flandry <davidfalkayn@gmail.com> Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:16:47 -0500

Sorry about the bugs. I would have caught that last one if i had play tested at all. I did 1 minute play testing for this version, and it seems everything fits where it should, so unless something else comes up, i'm done with this iteration of Gweled and on to SDLMAME next time i make time for games development.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
The fonts are still difficult to read for me, not (any longer) due to the size, but because of the colour/shading.
Yes, it's not the easiest thing to see. I'm attaching the font image to this post. (It is also found in /opt/maemo/usr/share/gweled/pixmaps/font_48_40.png)

If people will create some new alternatives, i'll hold a "choose a font" poll like i did for the icon, and use the winner as the new alternative. Of course, any user can customize their own version by simply changing that file on their N900.

The biggest problem now though is the visual effect of the points, floating upwards all the time.. they disturb me very much, to the point of making the game more and more unplayable. Is there a way to turn it off?
Does this bother you even with the smaller font size?
Attached Files
File Type: gz font_48_40.png.gz (28.4 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-03-11 at 16:43.

Tags
bejeweled, fremantle, game, gweled, maemo 5, puzzle